Thinking about switching from nexus one to droid

Last Updated:

1. richie021501

richie021501 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

NOTE: Yes, I did post this in both the nexus one and droid forums just so I could get opinions from both users and to avoid any bias (at least as much as possible lol)

Ok well sorry if this thread has been done a million times buttt....yea, as the title says, I have a nexus one with tmobile right now and am thinking of switching to verizon and getting the droid. I'm just wondering if you think this is a smart decision? I know it depends on the person and everyone has different tastes but I'm just looking for your opinion. I love the nexus one and I'm not switching due to hatred for the phone, its just that I can save a lot of money by switching into my families verizon family plan and splitting the cost of the plan. I know the nexus is on its way to verizon but I think I would go with the droid anyways just because I get sick of the same phone after awhile lol.

So can anyone give me some insight? I know the nexus one has a faster processor and everything but if I switched to the droid, would I really notice that much of a speed difference or is it just minimal? I used a droid in the verizon store and the speed difference didn't seem to major but I had very limited time with it so I could be wrong. I also like the droid due to the fact that it has a physical keyboard, even though its one of the worst i've ever used, its still better then nothing and I hope that it will improve my mobile gaming experience as trying to play those snes and genesis emulators on the nexus one is hard considering how crappy the multitouch is

So yea, what do you guys think? Is it worth it to switch? Now that the droid has 2.1, has it closed the gap on the nexus one do you think? I also know the droid can be overclocked but idk if im willing to do that or not yet. I also know that the nexus one has twice as much RAM or ROM (whichever, not really sure), like 512 to 256 or something like that? Sorry but I'm not the most tech savvy person and I'm not even sure what this means, can anyone provide insight as to what this means and whether its a big deal or not.

Sorry for the long post but I just really need insight here! Either way I love the android OS and don't plan on switching for awhile lol unless the new iphone really does come to verizon and blows me away....but we'll see! Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

Well the nexus has double the ram so it technically canrun more stuff at once. The droid is very nice and i don't think you will notice any difference in speed between the processors. 2.1 runs really nice on the droid but still limited to 3 screens using the stock launcher.

all that said was for stock. now if you root it this baby it shines like diamonds. you can get the stock nexus launcher or use the helix launcher. overclocking is simple and very safe, i run at 800mhz and it's amazing. Also the droid can render text more clearly then the nexus one so you'll be able to read stuff in the browser better.

3. richie021501

thanks for the response....but you have to root to overclock don't you? I heard I could perminentley brick my phone by doing so.

Are there any potential negative consequences to overclocking? Also, would I still get all updates from verizon the same time as everybody else does?

4. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

i like the N1 but do not own one. i have used one for about and hour. it seems nice but i prefer my droid. i am running cyanogen mod rom overclocked and i actually think it responds better than the N1. the one advantage the N1 has over the droid is it is GSM so you can travel abroad with it. the droid is CDMA only so you have minimal coverage outside the states. the service on verizon is a little higher than tmobile but in my opinion is better.

these are just my opinions and do not want to convince you one way or the other. it would be best for you to get a fair amount of playtime with the droid before you switch.

5. richie021501

Well I'm definitely switching to verizon if I can and can keep my number. and if I don't like the droid, I can always buy the verizon version of the nexus one....and I won't be traveling outside the country anytime soon haha so I don't think that should be a big deal.

I'm definitely leaning towards getting the droid, I just hope I won't regret it if I do!

6. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

I think you should definitely do it if you can save money. Like you said, the N1 has a faster processor but the speed difference is hardly noticeable. You can download the helix launcher (which is very stable, no FCs) to get up to 7 screens. So, the main thing you would be missing (UI wise) by moving to the Droid is the 3D app drawer (which you can have if you root but you'll have to wait until they find a new root exploit for 2.1 UNLESS your phone comes with 2.0.1 or you use RSD to flash back to 2.0.1 and then root). The phones are so similar that it makes total sense to move to a better network while saving money; there seems to be more for you to gain than lose in your situation. Another great thing about the Droid is that it is such a sturdy, well built device. It feels like a very reliable piece of machinery in your hand. Also, the Droid has the best development community of any current Android device (custom ROMs and such). Or, if you're moving to Verizon anyway, just wait for the Incredible or the N1 to drop.

7. Mrwirez

Mrwirez Well-Known Member

I would wait a couple weeks and get the HTC Incredible over the HTC N1. You can port your number over to VZW.. The incredible will be available in an actual store, not just online.. You can root the Incredible to look like the N1 if you want.. I own a Droid and that is my opinion.. I have been rooted for about 2 months... Bugless beast .9. The Droid is cool but I would go forward not backwards..

8. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

I was just going to recommend that. The Incredible is supposed to be launched sometime VERY shortly (in the next week or two - Engadget is reporting that VZW warehouses are currently stocked with them). And the N1 will be out not too long after that. HOWEVER, he said he likes the physical keyboard of the Droid, which I think is a much bigger factor in this decision than processor speed or RAM. That being said, I wanna make two pretty big points here:

1) VZW's coverage absolutely beats the living shyt out of TMobile's :) So a switch would be good, no matter what phone you choose.

2) VZW has a 30 return policy, so if you pick up a Droid, you have 30 days to decide if you like it or not. You can return it for an Incredible or an N1 (if it's out by then) or any other phone you want, or just get a refund and go back to TMobile.

(And if you do try a Droid, forget about rooting and overclocking at the moment. Just try the phone as it is to see how you like it before you mess around with that other stuff.)

9. richie021501

Thanks for the response! And yea I don't think I'm even going to root, I've never rooted a phone before and really don't plan on doing so now. I'm just hoping the speed difference is minimal like it seems to be everytime I pick up a droid. I mean it has the better screen (slightly, imo anyways) and a keyboard so I hope that will be more then enough to make up for the slower phone.