• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about switching from nexus one to droid

richie021501

Dec 28, 2009
NOTE: Yes, I did post this in both the nexus one and droid forums just so I could get opinions from both users and to avoid any bias (at least as much as possible lol)

Ok well sorry if this thread has been done a million times buttt....yea, as the title says, I have a nexus one with tmobile right now and am thinking of switching to verizon and getting the droid. I'm just wondering if you think this is a smart decision? I know it depends on the person and everyone has different tastes but I'm just looking for your opinion. I love the nexus one and I'm not switching due to hatred for the phone, its just that I can save a lot of money by switching into my families verizon family plan and splitting the cost of the plan. I know the nexus is on its way to verizon but I think I would go with the droid anyways just because I get sick of the same phone after awhile lol.

So can anyone give me some insight? I know the nexus one has a faster processor and everything but if I switched to the droid, would I really notice that much of a speed difference or is it just minimal? I used a droid in the verizon store and the speed difference didn't seem to major but I had very limited time with it so I could be wrong. I also like the droid due to the fact that it has a physical keyboard, even though its one of the worst i've ever used, its still better then nothing and I hope that it will improve my mobile gaming experience as trying to play those snes and genesis emulators on the nexus one is hard considering how crappy the multitouch is

So yea, what do you guys think? Is it worth it to switch? Now that the droid has 2.1, has it closed the gap on the nexus one do you think? I also know the droid can be overclocked but idk if im willing to do that or not yet. I also know that the nexus one has twice as much RAM or ROM (whichever, not really sure), like 512 to 256 or something like that? Sorry but I'm not the most tech savvy person and I'm not even sure what this means, can anyone provide insight as to what this means and whether its a big deal or not.

Sorry for the long post but I just really need insight here! Either way I love the android OS and don't plan on switching for awhile lol unless the new iphone really does come to verizon and blows me away....but we'll see! Thanks!

I would NEVER buy another Motorola. Ever. Especially that phone. My best friend has been through 4 of them now, and bought his the weekend before I got the n1 (late January ). Dust under screen, bad charging port, bad proximity sensor, "squeaky " screen housing. And these were certified reconditioned phones. Add to that that he HATES the thing if unrooted, and its too slow unless oc to at least 1ghz.... Gives you some confidence, huh? I'd say you're better off waiting on the n1 or an equivalent to arrive on big red.

Upvote 0
i have no experience with the Droid... but have seen a couple that friends own... the one thing that would make me want one is the amazing battery life they get... both report easily getting 2 days from a single charge... that's a pipedream with a Nexus... never gonna happen unless you just leave the phone sit, and even then... ;)

2 things I don't like about the Droid is a) it's only on vzw here in the US - i'm not going (back) to vzw anytime soon, if ever... too pricey, too controlling, too slow on updates...
and b), the keyboard and lack of good point device device (optical, or trackball) is a dealbreaker - the directional pad moto provided is rather useless...

Upvote 0
Simple... we here at n1 forum will say stay n1... thats why we have it, its the best. If not why not get the best..

Now the droid users will all say droid, but common..

All biased aside.... n1 is better Specd and out performs the droid... amoled screen and I hate keyboards....

Anyways... your gonna get those answers.... n1 here, droid there...

Upvote 0
if its a better network u want then verizon it is. Obviously the speed prob didnt seem much different cuz of that. But the Moto Droid to me feels so bulky and heavy compared to the N1. Its ur decision. Whats more important to u? Money saved or a better phone? I thought T-Mo was the cheapest out and comsidering if u go over on ur family plan on verizon I hear they rape you on the bill

Upvote 0
Well with the family plan it will be split between the family where as I'm the only one paying the bill I have now, so I save money even though verizon is definitely more expensive overall. Hmmmm....the size of the phone is not a problem to me at all, the droid felt fine in my hand and actually felt really durable and well-made. The one thing it has that the nexus one doesn't is a keyboard and thats the main thing making me want to get it.

Upvote 0
Ha, I assumed this was going to be an April Fools thread. Who on earth would actually want a Droid over a Nexus One is beyond me. Yes, I want a significantly slower phone, that looks a lot worse, and is bulky to compensate for a physical keyboard that is horrible.

Now if you need to change phones for financial reasons, etc., then I get it. But if this is a strictly a hardware question, the answer is obvious. There is no comparison between the Droid and the Nexus One.

Upvote 0
Uhhhhh....actually bro I have a nexus one right now but used the droid in the store and in seemed to be a little slower, but the speed difference seemed minimal. I'd gladly take slightly slower speed for a hardware keyboard any day and that is what I might do. Not that the nexus is a bad phone, but I probably still would have gotten the droid on launch if I had the opportunity.

I also liked the droids screen better, it wasn't a TON better then the nexus one but it was still noticably better and those extra pixels definitely seemed to make a difference. Wow I just really hope that I don't regret making this switch if I do happen to go through with it.

Upvote 0
Uhhhhh....actually bro I have a nexus one right now but used the droid in the store and in seemed to be a little slower, but the speed difference seemed minimal. I'd gladly take slightly slower speed for a hardware keyboard any day and that is what I might do. Not that the nexus is a bad phone, but I probably still would have gotten the droid on launch if I had the opportunity.

I also liked the droids screen better, it wasn't a TON better then the nexus one but it was still noticably better and those extra pixels definitely seemed to make a difference. Wow I just really hope that I don't regret making this switch if I do happen to go through with it.

You liked the Droid's screen better? LOL, I am so done with this thread. This is nonsense.

Upvote 0
Yup, the android screen is definetly better, 854 x 480 compared to the 800 x 480 (I think?) for the nexus one, droid definitely wins in that department in my book....I think not being able to accept someone elses opinion is pretty nonsense to btw ;)
You know you can't help but notice the amazing colors and deep blacks of a superior AMOLED screen though ;)

Upvote 0
i own a nexus one and i purchased a milestone (GSM droid) for my younger sister

have played with the milestone a bit, right of the bat i will say i prefer the nexus overall just nicer

only real advantage to droid is keyboard but thats only if you prefer one which i dont

looks are personal preference, screens are real world negligible

but using the devices is VERY similar other than 2.1 stuff on nexus but that advantage is pretty much gone now, lag is slightly more noticable on droid

so honestly i would give the nexus the advantage but only slightly especially since cyanogen is on or very close to droid i think

i think for u it comes to personal preference, do you prefer the look of the droid or nexus, do you want a physical keyboard, i think they are the only real deciding factors

RellikZephyr

Upvote 0
Alright, i read a couple of the posts and your all pretty biased.

Nexus One:
- Has a faster CPU but a slower GPU.
- More RAM 512mb
- AMOLED screen
- Will most likely be quicker to get updates etc..because its Google's phone
- Camera is slightly better
- Form factor is better
- Has a ton of issues with it, screen etc...

DROID:
- Slower CPU but a faster GPU
- Less RAM 256mb
- Will be slower to get android updates (you can already see with the 2.1, it just got it while the Nexus One has had it)
- Keyboard sucks, but at least there is a keyboard. It's usable
- Touchscreen isn't as good as Nexus One, but more reliable (see comparison video, iPhone still has best quality touchscreen)
- Quality issues doesn't seem to be a big problem, minor compared to the Nexus One dilemna

This is a hard choice. You can easily ROOT the DROID and get 1.1ghz out of it stable. It will be on par with Snapdragon then and remember, the GPU is still better than the Snapdragon's. This is one reason why the iPhone 3GS still outperforms the Nexus One in 3D games. Also because of resolution and most likely programming. Also iPhone is OpenGL 2.0 while Android is OpenGL 1.0 (it's an issue of the OS, not the phone). Nexus One has more RAM so multi-tasking/running multiple apps will be a bit smoother, honestly, nothing major unless you run like 30 apps at once........

I would personally go with the Nexus One, it's just such a sleek phone, nice screen, and overall i feel like the phone has potential even though it does have quality issues.

I wouldn't mind having a DROID though, i would just ROOT it and put on a custom ROM that has the 1.1ghz stable CPU clock. It will be just as fast while having a better GPU.

I havn't seen much on Nexus One overclocking, only one that shows they got 1.1ghz out of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones