• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about switching from US Cellular to Verizon, should I do it?

Rhyno37

Nov 22, 2010
Note: Posted in here to avoid bias of Verizon sub forum, feel free to move to a more appropriate place.

Hey guys, couldn't be happier seeing the release of the SGS3 for both these carriers, but this brings up a dilemma. I am currently with US Cellular under my mom's plan. She actually pays the whole bill since she gets a discount. I am thinking of switching to Verizon, which my Dad has (divorced parents). Reason being, Verizon seems to get a huge selection of phones much quicker than US Cellular. Also, their 4G network is huge, I even have it in my town. US Cellular is only supposed to get 4G in a town 30 miles away from me by the end of this year. Advantages of US Cellular are no contracts, and belief points for faster upgrades. The kicker to all is if I switched I doubt my dad would pay for my part, and I'm a college student so the funds aren't always flowing. So, in your guys' opinions is it worth it to switch and have to pay for my part to get better 4G coverage and such?

Note: Posted in here to avoid bias of Verizon sub forum, feel free to move to a more appropriate place.

Hey guys, couldn't be happier seeing the release of the SGS3 for both these carriers, but this brings up a dilemma. I am currently with US Cellular under my mom's plan. She actually pays the whole bill since she gets a discount. I am thinking of switching to Verizon, which my Dad has (divorced parents). Reason being, Verizon seems to get a huge selection of phones much quicker than US Cellular. Also, their 4G network is huge, I even have it in my town. US Cellular is only supposed to get 4G in a town 30 miles away from me by the end of this year. Advantages of US Cellular are no contracts, and belief points for faster upgrades. The kicker to all is if I switched I doubt my dad would pay for my part, and I'm a college student so the funds aren't always flowing. So, in your guys' opinions is it worth it to switch and have to pay for my part to get better 4G coverage and such?
My opinion is that if you are in college, and a bit strapped for funds, you should stay right where you are, and appreciate that Dad is paying your phone bill. I think that is a sweeter deal than anything Verizon could offer you!:)

Upvote 0
I get 10-20mbs with lte in NY, which is awesome but if you switch your only going to get 2gb and that will go fast. I would stay with your current plan cause its free and deal with 3g.

You should talk to your dad and see if he will help you out if not a free phone is way better then lte.

Upvote 0
Some clarifying notes here. If I switched to my Dad's (Verizon) plan I'd still be paying for the actual phone like now, I'd just have to pay for the extra line ($10) and data ($30). So $40 a month total. 2gb should be fine for me, atm I only use around 0.75gb since i try and stay on wifi.

Also, is the GS3 going to be $199 straight up on Verizon? No mail in rebate? Because with US cellular its going to be $350 with $100 MIR.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones