Thinking about switching to Android

Last Updated:

1. skwij

skwij New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, new here, obviously (or I wouldn't be in the "introductions" section ;) )

Seriously seriously thinking about leaving RIM/Blackberry and going to something Android-based. Although I LOVE my BBStorms *yes, 2 of them on different carrier, both UNLOCKED* I'm tired of the archaic UI/OS.

Here in Canada we're pretty limited, unless we want to shell out big bucks for a phone from overseas (like the HTC Desire). I'm looking at a Hero, even though it's "old" now, but it's within budget, at least at the moment. The other thing is that it's hard to actually get a "hands on" as the display phones at our retailers are "dummy phones" that don't actually DO anything.

There are a couple of things giving me pause, though, and to some they would be trivial, but to me they're a "big deal". I've got BerryBuzz on my Berrys, and I rely heavily on the various colours of the LED blinky-light, as I tend to have the phones silent, and just check the light to see what I'll have to deal with when I get a break.

The other is SureType. I came from a Pearl and learned to love SureType. I LOATHE my iPhone (yes, I have one of those too, an older one) because I simply cannot get used to the full qwerty keyboard.

From what I can gather here, and other Android forums, I will still have to use a Windows machine (I use Macs) to do full backups, and to root, and to install roms? Not a big deal, I use Windows in a virtual environment already for the Berry stuff. I do use google-sync for calendar and contacts, so that shouldn't be an issue at all.

I was also surprised at how small the Hero's screen seems in comparison to my Storm and iPhone. It also felt very lightweight, without the "heft" I'm used to. Is the Hero a fairly sturdy phone?

I don't mind "hacking", and unlocking, and installing stuff etc, as I've done a lot of that with the Storms, and jailbroken the iPhone and iPodTouch a bunch of times

Anyways, enough n00b stuff, most of which could probably have been searched (please don't flame too hard, LOL). Just wanted to drop in and say "hi" from the land of cellphone bleakness and rapacious carriers.

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

welcome from another blackberry convert. Though, I had a Curve 8330, then a Storm for two weeks, then back to the Curve, and then a Tour--that's when I jumped ship, for good.

Even RIM is ditching the SureType keyboard dude!! You gotta move on! ;) I never have used anything like BerryBuzz, I know it's popular, but I never saw the point myself. Though, I believe I've seen people talk about the same type of app for Android...it's possible it's out there for you.

3. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

4. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Android Forums!! :)