thinking about taking the plunge

Last Updated:

1. keeferb

keeferb Member This Topic's Starter

Hey folks,

Okay, so I think I've finally convinced myself to attempt to root. After reading through the rooting for dummies thread(great job on that by the way), I think I can handle it. Plus the great support in this forum should be able to get me through any issues I encounter. While I am fairly satisfied with my Eris as is, I wouldn't mind getting some of the speed gains that most people are getting from flashing to a new ROM. My requirements in prioritized order would be as follows...#1 stable...#2 speed...#3 bug-free camera using the stock camera app...#4 similar look and feel to the stock 2.1 ROM.

Any suggestions on a ROM that meets all those?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Howdy keeferb.. welcome to rooting. :)

I strongly advise experimenting with ROMs; you'll get opinions about the "best" ones and the most "stable" ones, "fastest" ones left and right. ;) Your mileage may vary.

How is your Eris running now? Is it stable, no issues? You're likely then to have the same thing as rooted, it is the same hardware after it's rooted.. :D

I settled on xtrROM 3.0.3, with a strong lean toward Nonsensikal 5.6 Blue (one of the 2.2 "Froyo" ROMs).

Post back.. this will be fun.

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

xtrSENSE if you want the Sense launcher, xtrROM if you want to use a third party launcher. I'd guess xtrSENSE, though.

I'd start with 4.2.1 for now; wait on 4.5 until the developer, Zach, says that it is out of beta.

[ROM][9/13/2010][GPL] xtrSENSE4.2 & 4.5[cache2cache,apps2sd,oc,jit,flash10]-HTC Sense - xda-developers
    [ROM][GPL][9/17/2010] xtrROM4.2.1 & 4.5-beta [cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc,flash10] - xda-developers

4. keeferb

keeferb Member This Topic's Starter

Well I went ahead and successfully rooted and flashed to xtrSENSE 4.2. It was a bit of work getting all my settings/apps back to where I had them, but so far I'm very happy with the flash. Definitely notice the performance improvement. I have a couple follow-up questions...

1. Should I go ahead and do a Nand backup now? Does that buy me anything, i.e. would I be able to restore to this backup and have all my apps/settings restored?

2. I'm guessing I'll want to try a different ROM at some point in the future. To do that, do I just boot into recovery, then 'wipe factory' , then flash from the SD card as I did the first time around?

Thanks again.

5. ppbb

ppbb Well-Known Member

the nand backup will create a back up of your phone as it is now. all settings, apps, messages will all return should you need to restore.

when flashing a new rom, do a nand back up first (just in case something goes wrong, you can always go back), wipe data AND wipe Dalvik. then flash your rom.

doing both wipes makes for easier trouble free flashing

6. Eris1981

Eris1981 Well-Known Member

I like the Nonsensikal 7 2.2 Froyo App. Everything that I want to change has worked flawlessly including the camera.

7. Rossco_Pee

Rossco_Pee Well-Known Member

Frisco, is there a reason you are not running one of the later xtrROMs? Just curious as I am thinking about taking one of them for a spin...:)

8. Batbriel

Batbriel Well-Known Member

1+

I'm wondering the same thing, what xtrROM 3.0.3 has that u think it could be better than any later versions :), im currently on 4.0.6.1 and Im super happy, but just curious :D

9. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Frisco was more than happy with 1.5 on the Eris. I think that he just appreciates that when he finds something that works, there is no reason to change just for the sake of change.

That would be my guess...

10. Batbriel

Batbriel Well-Known Member

understandable.. I'm kinda the same way with xtrROM 4.0.6.1, it simply just works, I loved 3.0.3 but for some reason I was having FC's when trying to set speed dials, dont know why :)

11. woodstorm

woodstorm Well-Known Member

Loaded my first ROM earlier this week. Went with KaosFroyo v35.1. Didn't realize what I was missing out on until I did it. Wife has a Droidx and I actually prefer my Eris now.