• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about the Geforce GTX 650 Ti BOOST...

davoid

Android Expert
Aug 3, 2011
London
My graphics card died (and tbh it was getting rather old - 8800GTS 512) and I need a replacement. The thing is, since I bought my old card, my monitor has grown from a 19" 1280x1024 to a Dell Ultrasharp 24" 1920x1200 and I want something that can play new games at good image quality at this resolution.

I've only just started researching - because of my card dying - but it seems like I might have chosen a good time to upgrade. The Radeon HD7790 has just been released, and I was looking at that with interest, until I just discovered the GTX 650 Ti BOOST, also just being released.

Now, what I'm wondering is whether this card will be the sweet spot of price, performance (at 1920x1200), and quietness that I think it will be.

The model I'm particularly looking at is this:

ZOTAC GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI.. | Ebuyer.com

I particularly want a card with a cooler designed by a 3rd party board partner rather than the reference design for quieter running.

Is the BOOST the one to go for, and if so can anyone suggest a better variant than the zotac for the same price?

If you could get your hands on one of these EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost SC in the UK, then I would definitely say do it. However, those 650 cards are entry level stuff imo. I wouldn't feel satisfied unless I had a 670/680, but that's just me.

Thanks for the reply. I know it's not top of the range, but finances are tough atm (student) and my desktop is out of action so I'm looking for value and power. I would love something more powerful but I don't need it, and I'm prioritizing at the moment.

Can I ask you why you would go for that model? Is it because of the overclock? I was thinking that they all overclock to roughly the same level and performance increase, just not out of the box. Would overclocking void your warranty then? Don't they usually come with OC utilities for that purpose though?

I ask because there are both versions of the EVGA available:

EVGA GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI.. | Ebuyer.com for

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I know it's not top of the range, but finances are tough atm (student) and my desktop is out of action so I'm looking for value and power. I would love something more powerful but I don't need it, and I'm prioritizing at the moment.

Can I ask you why you would go for that model? Is it because of the overclock? I was thinking that they all overclock to roughly the same level and performance increase, just not out of the box. Would overclocking void your warranty then? Don't they usually come with OC utilities for that purpose though?

I ask because there are both versions of the EVGA available:

EVGA GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI.. | Ebuyer.com for

Upvote 0
@davoid -

The 650 Ti Boost is a great card for the money. This is true regardless of manufacturer (though I of course prefer EVGA due to the fact that I work there).

As for overclocking, with EVGA you do NOT void your warranty if overclocking. Physical damage is pretty much the only thing that would void your warranty. That said, generally, the overclocked cards we sell have been "binned" higher so they **may** overclock better than a non-factory overclocked card. While this is common, it is not guaranteed.

Lastly, if you have any questions or concerns, please give our 24 hour customer support line a call at 1-888-881-3842 (choose option 3, then 2) or email me directly at robb.@evga.com and I will be happy to assist.

Thanks,
Rob

Upvote 0
Well I've just ordered this card - it's a Gigabyte GEFORCE GTX 660 OC - 2 GB :

This is really cheap for the UK where we seem to pay a lot more comparatively than you guys in the US.

I managed to find a GTX 660 for less than the 650Ti Boost, and it's Gigabyte so it should have decent quality components.

I think I found a bargain :)

And you will love that card, I just go one a little over a month ago and have fallen in love with it, it runs so cool (only 29c) and runs only 56C when playing Crysis 3 lol, so it sounds like you may have found a bargain....;)

Reactions: davoid
Upvote 0
My graphics card died (and tbh it was getting rather old - 8800GTS 512) and I need a replacement. The thing is, since I bought my old card, my monitor has grown from a 19" 1280x1024 to a Dell Ultrasharp 24" 1920x1200 and I want something that can play new games at good image quality at this resolution.

I've only just started researching - because of my card dying - but it seems like I might have chosen a good time to upgrade. The Radeon HD7790 has just been released, and I was looking at that with interest, until I just discovered the GTX 650 Ti BOOST, also just being released.

Now, what I'm wondering is whether this card will be the sweet spot of price, performance (at 1920x1200), and quietness that I think it will be.

The model I'm particularly looking at is this:

ZOTAC GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI.. | Ebuyer.com

I particularly want a card with a cooler designed by a 3rd party board partner rather than the reference design for quieter running.

Is the BOOST the one to go for, and if so can anyone suggest a better variant than the zotac for the same price?

I have the GTX 650 Ti OC Boost. It's been doing me well for playing games like Skyrim, and when it's not playing Skyrim, it's folding at 100% for the Android Folding@Home team.

I don't know how quiet it is, because my computer is pretty loud keeping my CPU cool, because that's always running at 100% for the Android Folding@Home team. It's a good card, however, it can't do everything. When I was trying to play Skyrim and Fold at the same time, I noticed a lot of Lag. So, if you are someone who plays games, and wants to record your gameplay, you may experience lag, or crashes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones