Thinking about the Moment but...Support

Last Updated:

1. Instinct User

Instinct User Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As my user name indicates I currently have the original Samsung Instinct. Been pretty happy with the Instinct but I'm eligible for a new phone in a few weeks and have been thinking about getting either the Moment or Blackberry Tour. I have a few questions about the Moment before I make the switch and am hoping you all can answer them. My main gripes with the Instinct has to do with texting. I have grown to despise the touch screen keys which will obviously be solved with switching to the Moment or a Blackberry. My other texting issues I have with the Instinct is that I'm only able to text 160 characters per text. My wife's Rant allows her to keep texting and automatically rolls over to create additional text messages. Does the Moment have the same 160 character per text limit like the Instinct does? The other text complaint I have with the Instinct is that it doesn't allow me to create separate text groups. I have to type a text to an individual person then manually add up to 10 total people. Does the Moment have a 'text group' capability? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Advertisement
  2. Wingzfan61

Wingzfan61 Well-Known Member

By using a free app called handcent you can indeed type more than 160 characters. You can also set it to send as an mms if the text is longer than say 3 messages. You can also do this on the Tour but it requires an app as well, beyond 160 which is not free.

As for group texting, yes handcent will also handle that for you. You first create a group in your gmail account online then when you open the messaging app you tap the add button and select the groups tab. As for doing this on the Tour, I think you can but Im not 100% sure.

For what its worth, I left the Tour to try Android and Ive never regretted it. Now that the Tour is running O.S. 5 it is alot better than it was but its kinda handcuffed to the point that its not very customizable and most of the good apps are paid apps which average around 5 dollars or so. The ability of the Moment is yet to be determined until the new O.S. hits in the coming weeks but up to this point it is far ahead of the Blackberry. The only thing I miss is having the led from the Tour.

3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Well-Known Member

You don't need any third party apps to send text messages longer than 160 characters. I use the stock messaging app and it works just like the Rant....it automatically splits messages longer than 160 chars. into multiple messages.

4. Instinct User

Really? That's very good to hear. What about making text groups? Does the Moment do that, or do I need a special app for that?

5. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

Just to let you know, iwas also an original instinct user... And the moment is night and day. I Do miss some of the clean java games, but the moment is so much better in every aspect. The touchscreen is way more responsive. Anyways, good luck with your decision.

6. Instinct User

Thanks. Unfortunately, I think my decision may come down to price. I was checking out bestbuy.com and saw that I could get the Moment for $179.99 w/contract extension but the BB Tour was only $99.99. I know that either one will be an improvement over my current Instinct. Decisions, decisions...

7. cosine83

cosine83 Well-Known Member

Should be able to snag the Moment for $79.99 with contract renewal at a Spritn store.

8. Instinct User

I hope you're right. Radio Shack has the Moment for $69.99 but only for a new 2-year contract. $199.99 for a contract renewal. Hopefully the $79.99 Sprint store price isn't just for new contracts.

9. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Top 2 texting programs on android are currently handcent and chomp. I personally believe they're both better than the stock text program

10. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

moment is like 59 on sprint store online check that out first

11. Instinct User

$59? Wow, this is getting better and better :)

If I can end up getting the Moment for less than the BB Tour I'll definitely go that route.