• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about upgrading next month BUT...

I'm eligible for an upgrade in early April but before I did I have a concern. I recently found out that Sprint now charges an additional $10 fee for all smart phones. I knew they charged the $10 fee for the 4G phones but didn't know they now charge the fee for all smartphones. I got my Moment way before they made this change so my plan under my current contract doesn't have the $10 fee included. If I get a new phone next month (non 4G) and extend my contract for another two years will they then start charging this additional fee? If so, I may just keep my Moment for another year until my current contract expires.

you could just get a 4g phone. i switched to the evo shift and phone is so much superior to the moment. no lag, no bugs, etc. just works right. and the increase in 4g speeds over 3g is well worth the $10. but i guess if you don't live in a 4g area, that might be a problem.

Upvote 0
It is a seemingly dishonest way of increasing the price. I can say that if you consider the Moment worth what you're paying now, the Evo is worth much more than $10/mo IMHO. It's infinitely superior to the Moment in every single way. Hopefully by April the new gen Evo's will be announced and maybe even released giving you a better choice. On the budget end of things and if you're out of contract, my mom got a Optimus V (Virgin Mobile) $25/mo with 300min talk, unlimited 3g data and the phone is a serious upgrade from a Moment too. It's cheap enough that if they get a little better phone choice, I may consider it when my contract is up.

Upvote 0
It is a seemingly dishonest way of increasing the price. I can say that if you consider the Moment worth what you're paying now, the Evo is worth much more than $10/mo IMHO. It's infinitely superior to the Moment in every single way. Hopefully by April the new gen Evo's will be announced and maybe even released giving you a better choice. On the budget end of things and if you're out of contract, my mom got a Optimus V (Virgin Mobile) $25/mo with 300min talk, unlimited 3g data and the phone is a serious upgrade from a Moment too. It's cheap enough that if they get a little better phone choice, I may consider it when my contract is up.

Since Virgin uses Sprints network, is coverage pretty much the same? I know it wouldn't be 4G, but that will never come to my area anyway. I might have to go this route when it is time for upgrades, as I am on a family plan, and can't afford another $40 per month. We don't use that much data either, so I pretty much refuse to pay for it.

Upvote 0
OK, well that settles it then. Thanks.

If you've been paying for the TEP insurance plan, you could possibly have the phone replaced under the plan without suffering the new charge since you will not be entering into a new contract. For example, my father had a Moment and ultimately replaced it for the Optimus S without suffering the new charge applicable to smartphones. Of course, this was the result of his having returned his Moment for replacement at least 2x due to software/hardware malfunctions, issues any Moment owner knows all too well. I've held off on doing this because I still want a keyboard and no decent replacement options (IMO) would include a keyboard.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
As I stated in another thread things have unfortunately changed since I created this thread. Sprint has changed their Premier Membership program and since I'm now considered a "silver" member I am no longer eligible for a yearly phone upgrade. I was initially due for an upgrade on 4/2/11 and Sprint decided to change their program on 4/1/11. Now I'm not eligible for a phone upgrade until next year. :mad:

Upvote 0
As I stated in another thread things have unfortunately changed since I created this thread. Sprint has changed their Premier Membership program and since I'm now considered a "silver" member I am no longer eligible for a yearly phone upgrade. I was initially due for an upgrade on 4/2/11 and Sprint decided to change their program on 4/1/11. Now I'm not eligible for a phone upgrade until next year. :mad:

If your device is swapped for another like model offered under the TEP program, it's not the same thing as upgrading at the end of a contract term or as a Premier member. I've just swapped my forever buggy Moment for a refurbished Optimus S and will not face the added charge.

Upvote 0
If your device is swapped for another like model offered under the TEP program, it's not the same thing as upgrading at the end of a contract term or as a Premier member. I've just swapped my forever buggy Moment for a refurbished Optimus S and will not face the added charge.

The thing is I no longer have the TEP coverage, and even if I did I wouldn't want the Optimus S because I wouldn't want to give up the physical keyboard. Also, I haven't had many issues at all with my Moment in the year that I've had it and wouldn't be able to file a TEP claim anyway. I was just wanting to upgrade because I could. Oh well...

Upvote 0
I know this is too late but did you know that you could contact sprint by phone and ask them to upgrade a week or two before time?
Most of the time they would allow people to do it.
I did it myself. I called them a few days after the shift came out and told them that i had a broken phone and since my update date was only 2 weeks away I wanted to know if they could help me out by letting me upgrade early.
Needless to say they transfered me right away to the sales dept. and next day my Evo Shift was delivered.

Upvote 0
I know this is too late but did you know that you could contact sprint by phone and ask them to upgrade a week or two before time?
Most of the time they would allow people to do it.
I did it myself. I called them a few days after the shift came out and told them that i had a broken phone and since my update date was only 2 weeks away I wanted to know if they could help me out by letting me upgrade early.
Needless to say they transfered me right away to the sales dept. and next day my Evo Shift was delivered.

I thought about calling Sprint up and asking them to give me the upgrade since I only missed it by ONE DAY, but decided against it. Since I'm one of the lucky few that has been pleased with my Moment I've decided to keep it until my contract is up. This way I would have the option of going elsewhere if I chose to instead of extending my current contract another 2 years.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones