1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

thinking bout getting this phone question about the OS

1. Ashlee

Ashlee New Member

sprint said i can swap out my phone for this phone or a couple other phones, just wondering what is the highest OS this runs on? my friend said 1.5 'cause she had one.
    but that seems low.
    don't wanna root my phone i dont know how an dont wanna pay

Advertisement
  2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Well-Known Member

Currently the Hero is on 2.1.
  3. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums:D:D

Yes, 2.1 is the current version of the Hero. Unfortunately, no further os upgrades will happen.
  4. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

As everyone else said, the Sprint HTC Hero is at Android 2.1. It will not be updated further except for maybe a maintenance release here and there.

The Sprint HTC Hero is fully capable of running Android 2.2 and Android 2.3 though. You just need to root your handset and flash a new ROM. If you are interested in that, then head over the root section of this subforum. We will be glad to help you out.
  5. ckim06

ckim06 Member

This phone is super slow compared to all the new ones that are coming out. Consider getting a newer one?
  6. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

I think that Sprint told her that the Sprint HTC Hero was one of the few handsets she can swap to from her existing one. Otherwise, I am sure she would choose a more modern handset.

The Sprint HTC Hero, especially when rooted and with a custom ROM flashed to it, is a good performer. I am running CyanogenMod 7 right now, and it is snappy and does everything efficiently.