• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of buying a Desire Z

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Canada
I'm purchasing a new smart phone tomorrow and it's between the HTC Desire Z and the BlackBerry Bold 9780. Firstly, which phone do you think is better?

I've been doing a lot of reading up on the Desire Z and it seems like a good phone, but I've been finding people posting a lot of issues with it. I have a few questions, and if anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated:

1. A feature I like on the BlackBerry and that is a must have on a phone for me is the LED light that lets you know when you have a new notification. Does the Desire Z have this, and if so, does it work good?

2. When you plug in headphones to the phone do you hear a static feedback noise, or is it crisp, clear and quiet? I've used LG phones in the past and when I plugged my headphones in I head an annoying buzzing sound.

3. One of the major issues I've read about are people complaining about the slide out keyboard mechanism. Is it that bad? My main concern is that the main screen will rock because it's unstable and I don't really want that. When you slide the keyboard out does the screen lay solid on the keyboard or does it wobble?

4. I've owned an HTC Legend in the past and during that time the phone constantly restarted on its own. It got to the point where it would restart during a phone conversation, and would restart at least twice a day. This experience with HTC makes me double think whether or not to buy the HTC Desire Z. Has this issue been addressed? Or does the HTC Desire Z randomly reboot?

Overall, for the people that own an HTC Desire Z, is it a good phone? Or is it buggy?

Thanks & greatly appreciated.

1. A feature I like on the BlackBerry and that is a must have on a phone for me is the LED light that lets you know when you have a new notification. Does the Desire Z have this, and if so, does it work good?

The indicator light does come on and tells me I missed a notification if I happen to get one while in the shower.

3. One of the major issues I've read about are people complaining about the slide out keyboard mechanism. Is it that bad? My main concern is that the main screen will rock because it's unstable and I don't really want that. When you slide the keyboard out does the screen lay solid on the keyboard or does it wobble?

The people I've seen complain about the hinge are those who think that they spring should be tighter than it is. The videos of people demonstrating the loose spring are of people holding the phone in a very awkward way. No one would ever hold the phone that way when using the phone, any phone, normally.

As for wobbling, I do not have any issues with that after having the phone for 2 months. The supports and hinges are quite solid. They feel like metal and not plastic.

4. I've owned an HTC Legend in the past and during that time the phone constantly restarted on its own. It got to the point where it would restart during a phone conversation, and would restart at least twice a day. This experience with HTC makes me double think whether or not to buy the HTC Desire Z. Has this issue been addressed? Or does the HTC Desire Z randomly reboot?

I have noticed this when I first got the phone. I thought it may have been dirty battery contacts. After taking the battery out and cleaning the contacts, the problem happened significantly less.

Overall, for the people that own an HTC Desire Z, is it a good phone? Or is it buggy?

I think it is a good phone. I have had some issues when I initially bought it, but it has become pretty stable after the first couple of weeks. One of the issues I had may have been caused by an error on my part. Those issues had been pretty minor and I have had significantly fewer issues after the first few weeks.

I don't think you can expect a bug free phone. I have heard of various issues with phones from all major manufacturers. I do understand your hesitance based on your previous experience.

Reactions: unity04
Upvote 0
Thank for the response, appreciate it. I'm just looking for a powerful smart phone that will work.. there's a lot of phones that are all technological but fail to work and do primary phone functions.

In regards to my second question, would you be able to shine any light on the headphone jack quality?

Upvote 0
I2. When you plug in headphones to the phone do you hear a static feedback noise, or is it crisp, clear and quiet? I've used LG phones in the past and when I plugged my headphones in I head an annoying buzzing sound.

I don't use my phone as a music player. I just tried it out now and it seems fine. I don't notice any issues when listening to the demo tunes or a YouTube music video. Sounds pretty good to me. I didn't notice any sound quality issues.

Upvote 0
Thanks for testing it out.

I just did some searches on Google for troubleshooting of the phone and noticed a lot of people have issues with it. A major one I kept finding is that the phone randomly shuts off, and sometimes people can't turn it back on. Also, it deletes text messages... does this happen to people?

I'm buying a new phone in the morning and it's either this or the Bold 9780.. this would be a deal breaker if the phone has these bugs....

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have experienced the random shut off more the first month. Never experienced the lost messages at all.

I do use a BlackBerry Tour at work. Never had any issues with it. I use it only for email and messaging. I do less with the BlackBerry, but it does seem more stable than the Desire Z. I also turn the BB off when I leave work, so it is only on 5 x 8.

Upvote 0
Does the Z shut off a lot? Also, is it a complete shut off or more of a reboot? Just curious because it can cause a major problem if I set my alarm to wake me up and the phone shuts off and doesn't turn back on during the middle of the night

Also, does the phone over heat when charging?

I really want this phone but don't know... seen a lot of trouble shoot threads about it :(

Upvote 0
Does the Z shut off a lot?

Only when I tell it too. Other than that, no issues here.

Not in my experience.

seen a lot of trouble shoot threads about it :(
That's the nature of teh interwebz.... those with problems tend to post about them whereas those with no issues have no reason to.

Also, no problems with the audio jack or keyboard at all. The latter is just right for flicking open with one hand in readiness for action, and in use sits solidly enough. Not sure what you mean by "wobble" - on a flat surface typing is rock-steady.

Upvote 0
Does the Z shut off a lot? Also, is it a complete shut off or more of a reboot? Just curious because it can cause a major problem if I set my alarm to wake me up and the phone shuts off and doesn't turn back on during the middle of the night

I think only once did it actually shut off. All of the other times, it does a reboot. Most of the times that it rebooted, I was actually starting up the phone. I started it up and then it shut down and rebooted.

No.

Upvote 0
Alright, thanks for the response everyone I appreciate it. +1 to all. I'll be taking the dive and picking up the phone... worst case, if it starts acting up, sell it quick and just make sure I keep it in good condition.

Again, thanks.

one suggestion might be helpful here, do a factory reset of the phone after u put ur sim card in it...factory resetting earlier is always better bcoz u dont loose anything...

I have seen my frnd using a DZ and no issues reported as such like reboots turn offs etc

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones