Thinking of Getting a Droid 2...

Last Updated:

1. carolinadiva

carolinadiva Member This Topic's Starter

Hello

I am thinking about switching from at&t to verizon and getting the Droid 2.

I was wondering how do you all like the phone overall? I previously had a

iPhone 3GS and a BlackBerry 8900. How is the email on the Droids?

Any other helpful information would be appreciated :)

Thank You

Advertisement
  2. Dragoro

Dragoro Well-Known Member

I love mine. Email is great. I get push for all my gmail accounts as well as push for my 4 different hotmail accounts. I find the phone incredibly superior to my old iphone (of course that was a 1st gen) and the service hands down better. After my experience with att service in chicago, I swear Ill never use ATT again.

3. carolinadiva

I know many people with VZW and they LOVE it....

4. travelingfool

travelingfool Well-Known Member

I couldn't be happier with my Droid2. I am a recent convert from the Blackberry world. Any problems I've had have been because of poorly written apps/widgets causing spontaneous reboots and force closes, etc. Once I identified the culprits, the troubles subsided.

This phone simply rocks. Fast, lag free, beautiful bright crisp screen, I LOVE the physical keyboard (coming from a Blackberry freak's perspective, lol). I never knew that web browsing could be such an enjoyable experience on a handheld device. Email is pretty much instant with Gmail, the UI is polished and very easy to get intimate with, call quality is excellent, etc.

I am very pleased with the Droid2. I virtually live on the road, and since switching from Blackberry, I very rarely even have to whip out my laptop any more. Also, I've done a signal strength comparison in many parts of the U.S., and side by side, the signal on the Droid2 is considerably stronger than my 9630 Tour and my 8330 Curve. In many cases where my Droid2 will show -70dB, the bb will show in the- 90's, which is a significant gain.

Unless Blackberry pulls a really gorgeous rabbit out of their hat, I will be staying with Android. You will love the Droid2. Great choice!

5. Joe_Evaristo

Joe_Evaristo Well-Known Member

I'm one of those who loves Verizon. :) Their customer support is top notch, and the signal strength tends to be good.

I'm very happy with the D2 myself. I did run into some quirks setting up e-mail accounts--it's a simple process if you have one, but it gets a little confusing if you have two or more because of the way they consolidate the accounts on the D2. The only other caveat is to not use the Motorola Blur social networking widgets--they've been linked to battery drain and unintentional syncing with Facebook contacts.

I find the phone to be fast, responsive, and it feels sturdy. Overall, it's a great phone with a couple hiccups. One of the things that really impressed me is that Motorola reads and forwards any bug reports and feature requests on their official forum, so the update process is user-driver, as opposed to just hoping the engineers make the updates you want.

6. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

Email is not even close to great in my opinion. I guess it depends on whether or not your ISP has IMAP or POP3 and whether or not you like to have multiple folders.

The default email app has no option to delete emails from the server.

The gmail app works great if your primary email is gmail. For me it was lousy because I had to have gmail retrieve my roadrunner email and remove them from the server after retrieving. It uses a polling algorithm to retrieve the pop3 email, they do not come as soon as received and there is no option to tell it how often to sync.

Also, since it was gmail, I could tell it to disguise itself as my roadrunner account, but some ISP's block that, so instead of my emails coming from roadrunner, it came from gmail on behalf of roadrunner.

Everyone talks about how great the K-9 email app is but it doesn't allow moving emails between folders if you have POP3.

If I could sync with my Outlook calendar, notes, and tasks and the email apps behaved as I wanted them to, I would be happier with the D2.

7. carolinadiva

So can you move emails to folders? I have a few folders in my gmail accounts.

8. Joe_Evaristo

If you're playing with the devices in the store, be sure to check out the SWYPE virtual keyboard on the D2--it takes some adjusting to, but it's like T9 for QWERTY! I like it a lot.

I'd also caution you to avoid HTC, such as the Droid Incredible. HTC is a bad company--their build quality is generally below average, and their customer support is horrible. Sometimes they don't feel like fixing issues they know about, and instead direct customers to "use a third party app if you don't like it." And when their tech support does feel like helping, generally they're inept. My last phone was an HTC Droid Eris, and three different reps gave me three different stories as to the origin of the last problem I had with the phone!

If you buy an HTC device and you don't root, you're probably going to need support eventually, so it's important to keep that in mind when you're thinking of buying. And to backup my claim, I'll point to their rating on the Better Business Bureau--it's an F: H T C America | Better Business Bureau Review | Bellevue, WA

The Droid Incredible does have a few known issues already:
    The not so INCREDIBLE... HTC Incredible Reboot Issue - Verizon Wireless Community

HTC EVO 4G and Droid Incredible suffering from unresponsive screen issues -- Engadget

Browser privacy issue with DROID Incredible and HTC Sense UI widget? Boy Genius Report

If you're switching to Android from an Iphone, you're not going to be happy with an HTC device. Despite some quirks, the D2 is pretty solidly built.

9. carolinadiva

Yeah, I have heard alot of bad stuff about HTC....

10. Joe_Evaristo

They put a little too much emphasis on making their devices "look pretty" (I sure don't see what's so pretty about their devices, but that's what HTC fans tend to rave about. o_O) and not enough emphasis on them working right.

11. carolinadiva

They do look pretty :) LOL

12. Joe_Evaristo

LOL! I don't see what's so pretty about them. ...the funny thing is, when I got my D2, my grandparents thought it was the same phone until I put it side-by-side with the Eris. O_O

13. carolinadiva

Some are and then some are just ugh lol

14. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

What do you use to get your hotmail? I'm getting so fed up with hotmail not having IMAP that i started just importing all my hotmail into my gmail account.

15. JDunc

JDunc Well-Known Member

I use hotmail.com on the broswer for my hotmail account. I like to see and use my folders

16. Dragoro

Dragoro Well-Known Member

Use the corporate sync to set up your hotmail accounts. It makes the mail push, and you can see all your folders and move stuff and everything. Only problem so far is you can only see recent stuff in your folders, cant sync back to begining.

Server is mobile.hotmail.com

And Microsoft is working with google to make active sync work better with android, the fix just hasnt been released yet.

redpanda likes this.
  17. android.convert

android.convert Well-Known Member

My wife has the D2 and it is a great phone would recommend it to anyone.

18. carolinadiva

I got my Droid 2 today :) I love it!!!

19. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member VIP Member

Can you show how you have your hotmail accounts set up? I've been trying to tweak mine but nothing seems to work quite right.

Thanks!

20. hahny42

hahny42 Member

nothing is going to outpush email better than BBerry. coming from a Tour to a Fascinate(exchanging today for a droid 2 becuase i have already handled one and loved it) its better than iOS though.