Thinking of getting a HTC Desire

Last Updated:

1. psyxologos

psyxologos Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hallo all. I am thinking of getting a HTC Desire tomorrow as it looks like it is a very powerful, versatile and user friendly phone. After owning an iphone 3G for 2 years I am fed up with owning a phone that is so restricted because apple thinks knows better. My questions to you are mainly with regards to the way the phone feels as far as ease of use, connectivity (wi-fi, file transfer via blue tooth, cooperation with in car blue tooth systems etc) and the quality of free applications I can have access to via the android market. Any help is appreciated Many thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

Ease of use:
    excellent, everything is customizable to the way you want it, and this customization can be done in a few taps. No long winded procedures for anything at all.

Connectivity - awesome
    I don't know about car BT as I've never used it, but wi-fi is superb. It has almost the same range as my laptop (can pick up signal well), and notifies you when there are unsecured networks for you to connect to (like when you're in a mall).

Free apps:
    You can find free apps for anything, and since there is very healthy development going on in the android community, you can find at least 2-3 apps to perform the same function, => competition. So quality of apps is quite good.
    Also many developers issue regular updates to apps which you are automatically notified of by way of your status bar.

psyxologos likes this.
  3. psyxologos

Many thanks. I appreciate your help. I cannot wait to get my phone in a few hours!

4. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

:)
    You're welcome.. Enjoy you new phone. You'll find it a refreshing change from all the restrictions..

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I'd say more like 20-30 apps, not 2-3. I know because I've tried hundreds and hundreds if them, thousands probably..!

psyxologos likes this.
  6. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

Yes, I had said 'at least'. ;)

psyxologos likes this.
  7. kopkiwi

kopkiwi Well-Known Member

I will make this very easy. Don't think. Do.

It really is an outstanding phone. I was amazed at just how much of a step up it was from my iPhone 3GS. Just such a smooth phone.

psyxologos likes this.
  8. lorrebreaker

lorrebreaker Well-Known Member

Only had mine 10 days & i have to say its the best phoe i've ever had. Only used 9MB of data so far because the wifi on it is excellent, so not really needed to try the data connection much. (when i have its been spot on too).

Lots of good free apps, im using one which allows me to have a landline number for my phone & i have also been calling relatives abroad without using any of my inclusive minutes.

Not tried file transfer as yet so cant really help you with that.

Im still new to this phone but so far its been a great experience & finding new things to do with it each day. Really easy to use too.

psyxologos likes this.
  9. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

The phone is phenominal. nuff siad.

On the Car BT note I recently replaced my stereo to accommodate this and it works flawlessly with the 3 (cubed) media player.

psyxologos likes this.
  10. sansenoy

sansenoy Member

You'll enjoy having a proper file system, my biggest gripe with the iPhone. Simply managing files thru unrestricted downloads and standard usb connection is priceless and has already saved my hide a couple of times. Also, the interface is superb, has a lot more depth than just shiny widgets and such. The only problem is the lack of bookmark labeling in the browser, hope it gets fixed in the froyo build, which is coming this summer BTW. Also, you never have to hook your phone to your pc, not even for filetransfers, updates come over the air, and you can use estrong file manager to hook to your home network...

psyxologos likes this.
  11. DCFC79

DCFC79 Well-Known Member

Had mine since last friday and im quite surprised with it, theres a load of apps available paid and free ones,

psyxologos likes this.
  12. psyxologos

WOW! Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I am off to the shop in 5 minutes! ;)

13. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

I used to have a hero and apart from the speed improvement the biggest plus for me of the Desire has been that the Wifi, 3G, 2G and bluetooth all just work where as on the hero they were all just a little bit flakey at times.