Thinking of getting a new Captivate, have a few questions

Last Updated:

1. Altair4

Altair4 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Samsung Captivate to replace my ancient phone. I have Verizon right now and am thinking of getting a new AT&T plan along with the phone. I'm a newbie to android and this will be my first android device.

So my questions are:
    Is the release date for the 2.2 Froyo upgrade known for the Captivate?

And this isn't really a Captivate question, but I've seen a lot of negativity towards AT&T on this forum and in general, so do you think I should switch to AT&T from Verizon? (I'm thinking of doing it for the free phone deal and generally cheaper plans) Is there anything I should watch out for?

Thanks, answers are appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. svnty6rs3

svnty6rs3 Member

Hey it was announced by samsung that froyo would be available in september along with the gps fix that they are currently working on.

As far as att from verizon it depends on the area that you live you there are some sites you can check out for coverage area to see if you would be fine with where your located.

3. cabsnow

cabsnow Member

AT&T is fine in most areas so really just depends on your area the net speeds are better then Verizon in my area at least. Which is super important to me. Froyo is sometime in Sept. but no solid date or really and proof it's in the works for US. But it will for sure be coming to the Galaxy S line so no worries there.

4. Altair4

Altair4 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I live on Long Island so coverage shouldn't be a problem. And also another question: will upgrading to Froyo let me keep my current apps and settings? I've read that AT&T disabled sideloading and censored some market apps; will upgrading fix this or do I have to root after upgrading to Froyo?

Thanks again.

5. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Me personally if it wasn't for the wifey and her love for the new fruit 4 phone i'd have would of had made the swith to verizon and the driod x. I showed her the phone and she said it was to big for her pockets. So I ran into the Captivate and love it!!!!
    AT&T has cheaper plans plus rollover minutes. Like someone said above 2.2 will come september (hopefully). The HTC Incrediable starts it's 2.2 today.

6. svnty6rs3

svnty6rs3 Member

Hey if your not rooted and just wait for the ota update of froyo then yes all of your apps and setting will transfer over it will be just like any other ota update for a different phone. If you want to sideload without rooting there is a great program from androidcentral that lets you sideload apps without having to root your phone. However to uncensor the market you would have to root the phone.

7. mash4077

mash4077 Active Member

get it its a great phone

8. wjkrysak

wjkrysak Active Member

I am into my third week with the Captivate. Switched from Verizon to ATT as the plan was better in suiting my need and I was impatient in waiting for the Facinate (Verizon version of Captivate). Coverage is good for me in Atlanta. I am patient in waiting for Froyo and GPS upgrade. Wish you the best. cheaha bill

9. Thuneau

Thuneau Member

Personally I'm in love with it. My work email (Exchange and Outlook) work and sync up within seconds (and I have probably 20 project related folders), I didn't have a single dropped call, call sound quality and internet speed are great (I'm in PA- Harrisburg area), my phone holds charge for two days with light to medium usage. GPS is almost solid after I installed the GPS Status app. But, I have a Garmin unit so I really don't care that much about GPS on the phone.
    The screen is gorgeous. The feel is fast and responsive.
    If the phone gets even better with the next Android version, it will be just a bonus on top of a very good product.