• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of jumping to T-Mobile from Sprint. You like it? What's cost difference?

MisterB

Dec 25, 2009
I have the unlimited everything plan on Sprint. I think I pay $99 per month for it. I get unlimited calls, internet, texts, GPS navigation, etc.

If I were to get a Nexus, and get a similar plan on T-Mobile, how much do you think I'd pay? I looked at their web site, and it is a little unclear to me if it includes everything I'm used to having.

Do those of you on T-Mobile like it? I've always been a little reluctant to go to
GSM from CDMA, because in the past I've noticed voice quality isn't as good. You guys happy?

I have the unlimited everything plan on Sprint. I think I pay $99 per month for it. I get unlimited calls, internet, texts, GPS navigation, etc.

If I were to get a Nexus, and get a similar plan on T-Mobile, how much do you think I'd pay? I looked at their web site, and it is a little unclear to me if it includes everything I'm used to having.

Do those of you on T-Mobile like it? I've always been a little reluctant to go to
GSM from CDMA, because in the past I've noticed voice quality isn't as good. You guys happy?

I am in a similar situation. I am currently with Verizon even though I do not have a unlimited plan like yourself, but I do wish to get one if I was to move to T-Mobile.

T-Mobile's unlimited everything plan(non-contract) is $79.99/month which I think is unbeatable. The closest thing to it is what you have with Sprint, Verizon and AT&T would be no less then $140-$150 for a similar plan. Of course though with this T-Mobile plan you have to buy your own phone, in the case of the Nexus One its $529.

I was playing around with the Motorola Cliq and its a much better phone then what some on the net have made it out to be. Granted the phone I was using was probably the stock phone with little to no additional app's running/installed but even given that, the OS ran relatively smoothly and its a good size phone, I was expecting it to be a bit smaller but thats not a bad thing for me.

Upvote 0
I'd say come to Tmo for the great price on the plans but hold off if its simply for the Nexus One. It and Google are going though some growing pains and like anything first gen, there is always problems. If you want Android, I'd say the Samsung Behold II. I have this phone and I love it, though its my first Android phone so I've grown to like the TouchWiz interface Samsung put over it, others who grew up with stock android have their complaints. There is also the Cliq and yea I think its gotten a bad rap. Both phones have plans for an update. Though as to when, its still up in the air.

Upvote 0
My time with the Cliq at Costco was very brief, a few minutes at best but as far as I could tell it seemed fairly like a fairly stock version of Android, nothing too fancy. Personally im not a big fan of Motorola or Samsung, I am a HTC fan but dont like the Nexus One either all that much. I love Nokia but they are a bit too proprietary with how they approach making phones so there is a whole set of headaches that goes along with that.

Does anyone know how the Bold II and Cliq compare in terms of hardware specs? I got my gf the Samsung Rogue which I believe uses the same skin/theme as the Bold II, or fairly similar anyway and she really likes her phone. If anyone knows about the specs I would appreciate it.

Upvote 0
My time with the Cliq at Costco was very brief, a few minutes at best but as far as I could tell it seemed fairly like a fairly stock version of Android, nothing too fancy. Personally im not a big fan of Motorola or Samsung, I am a HTC fan but dont like the Nexus One either all that much. I love Nokia but they are a bit too proprietary with how they approach making phones so there is a whole set of headaches that goes along with that.

Does anyone know how the Bold II and Cliq compare in terms of hardware specs? I got my gf the Samsung Rogue which I believe uses the same skin/theme as the Bold II, or fairly similar anyway and she really likes her phone. If anyone knows about the specs I would appreciate it.

it is 1.5 but they have announced that it will be getting 2.1!

Upvote 0
I did just read that Motorola updated there Twitter account saying that the Cliq will be getting 2.1 but does anyone here know how well the Cliq would handle the upgrade? If it will make things better or worse or the same in terms of OS performance/functionality? My current Verizon contract does not expire till April so I am hoping by then the 2.1 will be available but I am still worried how the phone will handle it, any input is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Through a combination of T-Mobile/Skype/GVoice (texting), I get unlimited "everything" (except incoming calls) for $43/mo., with a "no contract" plan (buy phone unlocked, order stand alone SIM card, and sign up for $10/mo web2go plan), in their 7Mb capable network.

CDMA -> GSM? I have a Nextel work issued phone, and gave up "my 2nd" Droid, due to reception problems. I'm in Maryland (solid red 3G "per Verizon map"?), dead center between DC/Baltimore. Both phones would show decreased signal, just by picking the phone up off the desk, or turning my body while talkin. Both phones' signals would be picked up by speakers on my deskphone and PC (nature of the tech). Dead zones in my town, and my home(s), just 2 miles from (2) different VZ stores, which themselves are just 1 mile apart...I think its just the Droid.

I have 6 months left on my AT&T (Motorola Q) contract and just started with T-Mo (Nokia n900) last month...I get "full bars" 3G on AT&T with my Q in 99% of the areas I go to, between northern VA and Rhode Island...2-3 brief drops along the highway. With T-Mo, I get a few more drops, again on the highway but have taken it only to Philly. I still have "full bars" 3G, and 3.5G (data), in 99% of the places I go.

FWIW, I'm a VoIP engineer, and self proclaimed audiophile (I have full conrad-johnson tube system) and my first call on Verizon was to voice mail. I was outside, 2 blocks away from my town's hospital, where I had (2) bars reception on my Droid :rolleyes:, and thought "what have I got myself into?"...not impressed with call quality at all times "on CDMA w/Droid". It is most likey the bandwidth throttling via QoS when signal is weak...higher compression. Problem is it happend a lot.

Upvote 0
Through a combination of T-Mobile/Skype/GVoice (texting), I get unlimited "everything" (except incoming calls) for $43/mo., with a "no contract" plan (buy phone unlocked, order stand alone SIM card, and sign up for $10/mo web2go plan), in their 7Mb capable network.

CDMA -> GSM? I have a Nextel work issued phone, and gave up "my 2nd" Droid, due to reception problems. I'm in Maryland (solid red 3G "per Verizon map"?), dead center between DC/Baltimore. Both phones would show decreased signal, just by picking the phone up off the desk, or turning my body while talkin. Both phones' signals would be picked up by speakers on my deskphone and PC (nature of the tech). Dead zones in my town, and my home(s), just 2 miles from (2) different VZ stores, which themselves are just 1 mile apart...I think its just the Droid.

I have 6 months left on my AT&T (Motorola Q) contract and just started with T-Mo (Nokia n900) last month...I get "full bars" 3G on AT&T with my Q in 99% of the areas I go to, between northern VA and Rhode Island...2-3 brief drops along the highway. With T-Mo, I get a few more drops, again on the highway but have taken it only to Philly. I still have "full bars" 3G, and 3.5G (data), in 99% of the places I go.

FWIW, I'm a VoIP engineer, and self proclaimed audiophile (I have full conrad-johnson tube system) and my first call on Verizon was to voice mail. I was outside, 2 blocks away from my town's hospital, where I had (2) bars reception on my Droid :rolleyes:, and thought "what have I got myself into?"...not impressed with call quality at all times "on CDMA w/Droid". It is most likey the bandwidth throttling via QoS when signal is weak...higher compression. Problem is it happend a lot.

Just wondering if you can give me some quick thoughts on the N900? Was thinking about getting that but most of the reviews out there on it are mixed, not overwhelming in one side or another so I am kind of iffy on getting it when I move to T-Mobile, I appreciate it, thanks.

Upvote 0
Just wondering if you can give me some quick thoughts on the N900? Was thinking about getting that but most of the reviews out there on it are mixed, not overwhelming in one side or another so I am kind of iffy on getting it when I move to T-Mobile, I appreciate it, thanks.

I posted here:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ay-end-up-milestone.html?highlight=nokia+n900

..and here:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/26286-help-choice-droid-n900.html

There is also a very active forum at www.maemo.org

Any apps developed by the "community" will be had there..you get direct contact with people who are making the device better. Someone even wrote an app to enable GPS to be integrated in Google maps search (we have no official Google app support from Google with 900's OS). But if you're an app hound, it may not be the thing for your (only ~150 avail now, but many are actuall useful).

In a nutshell, it does all the "basics" pretty well (send/receive email, SIP/cellular calls, browsing, IM) with a few slick, tightly integrated phone features. The browser is top notch, and is a multitasking beast. I was pretty much able to replicate all my Droid functionality "out of the box". My only problems is with Flash support. Flash site render perfectly, but the main reason you go to the site may not work, such as:

Hulu.com - now need flash update, but when working, way too laggy
gametap.com - again, everything renders perfectly, but can't install plugins for gameplay
sling.com - I can get to the part where I log into my slingbox, but again, need to run WinXP or MAC OS for plugins to install
XM radio online - I can login, and get to the media player, but it doesn't render fully, and the audio codec may not be supported.

So for me its perfect in every other respect, just needs a little more multimedia support...which may be available thru an app that's currently in testing at maemo.org (mplayer), but I don't want to install until its "finished".

Upvote 0
Colnago, you said that the standard Nokia e71 is a beast, can you elaborate on that? I actually recommended that to a relative of mine and they love it, not the AT&T x version but the unlocked version direct from Nokia. It has alot of things going for it when I was researching it but it does not seem too practical for someone who wants to surf the web alot, much better for business use which is what he uses it for.

Upvote 0
.It has alot of things going for it when I was researching it but it does not seem too practical for someone who wants to surf the web alot, much better for business use which is what he uses it for.

Basically that...you can do a lot with it, and can be a focal point for various communication and multimedia methods, in its "unlocked/non-AT&T form". But unlike the Droid/900/iPhone, without the "larger screen", browsing can be cumbersome, on some sites. With its "thumbnailed" history, and D-Pad navigation, browsing is quite good for its form factor (e71)...much better than with my Moto Q.

I think the 900 is a "good attempt", at blending the (2) types of devices (DROID/e71), and while it excels at some areas, it doesn't quite cut it in others...again, it just depends on what you're looking for.

Quick update on the 900...its been confirmed that "video calls" work for Jabber, and GTalk accounts (front facing camera). Apparently there is also some compatibility between the two allowing "Jabber-to-GTalk" calls.

Upvote 0
Basically that...you can do a lot with it, and can be a focal point for various communication and multimedia methods, in its "unlocked/non-AT&T form". But unlike the Droid/900/iPhone, without the "larger screen", browsing can be cumbersome, on some sites. With its "thumbnailed" history, and D-Pad navigation, browsing is quite good for its form factor (e71)...much better than with my Moto Q.

I think the 900 is a "good attempt", at blending the (2) types of devices (DROID/e71), and while it excels at some areas, it doesn't quite cut it in others...again, it just depends on what you're looking for.

Quick update on the 900...its been confirmed that "video calls" work for Jabber, and GTalk accounts (front facing camera). Apparently there is also some compatibility between the two allowing "Jabber-to-GTalk" calls.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Any experience with the e72? I know it does not improve a whole lot on the e71 but if you have used that as well, do you have any thoughts on that?

Upvote 0
My co-worker, who convinced me to get my girl the 71x, also has the 72. He said it has some issues, weak reception being a main concern. He's eagerly awiting an update. I'm trying to get him to go 900, and T-Mo, as they allow SIP traffic, where AT&T won't. Plus again, hard to beat $40-$43/mo for unlimited everything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones