• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of leaving Android..

Personally, ever since being exposed to Android there is no other smartphone UI choice for me. Android is the Windows of smartphones yet better... it's even less restricted and ever since owning Android my phone has pretty much replaced computers. Android is so amazing to me because there's a more wide variety of apps and what they allow you to do. An Android phone can download virtually anything and can be an instant complete go to for any need you have. iPhones aren't nearly as flexible as Android and the need to connect your phone to your computer and iTunes so frequently is a huge turn off for me.

I have never owned a Windows Phone, but three of my friends own it and they all told me they will not own one again after they are eligible for upgrades. I find the UI more stylish and attractive than iOS but from what I gather the app choices make it even more undesirable than an iPhone. I love Windows as a computer OS but it will be years before I think I'd consider owning a Windows Phone.

If you like customization, and if the idea of doing anything on your phone that a PC will allow you to do, then there is no other choice BUT Android. If Android truly doesn't appeal to you, I can't understand you but I would only recommend an iPhone. Apple is a ridiculous, immature company and their reaction to Android is a complete turn off to me, but their phones are more capable of doing things you may want of a smartphone than Windows.

But seriously, Android grows better and better with every update to the OS, by leaps rather than Apple's baby steps. If you're unhappy with Android currently and go to the iPhone, I suggest keeping informed on Android because just imagine what it will be like in two years... it's already beautiful and nearly perfected and it will only get better. Apple will never allow iOS as much user freedom though, so I suggest maybe learning more about the Android OS to see how it will benefit you before jumping ship.

Upvote 0
Sleeper? Like dropping a 283 into a Sunbeam Alpine and calling it the Sunbeam Tiger.
(Front end heavy)

I wouldn't mind having an Iphone shell (No hardware) only and dropping Android components in. That would blow some minds.

If you like whatever OS, Style, packaging, then it's your choice whatever others may think.

Of course IRL "your choice" is determined, in the vast majority of cases, by peer pressure. I.o.w. by what others may think... Not by rational arguments.

Upvote 0
Of course IRL "your choice" is determined, in the vast majority of cases, by peer pressure. I.o.w. by what others may think... Not by rational arguments.

Mine isn't. Getting opinions, facts, and various other bits of information is what the internet is for. Less stress as you aren't trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by trying to convince yourself that whatever item you were "forced" into buying is the best especially if you are not totally happy with it.

Upvote 0
I used Windows phones in the early days of the OS. I got tired of having to pay for app updates for ever new iteration of the OS. I realize that has changed on the WinOS, but that would be my biggest suggestion for staying with Android. You've already invested in your paid apps, and now you'll probably have to pay for them again if you switch platforms.

I also think Microsoft is battling iOS more than Android. They're forcing a tiled menu system on their users which is trying to compete with iOS's menu style. Microsoft is trying to make their menu more interesting by making it interactive, but I find it's still boring. Android is much more interesting and flexible.

I understand your boredom and need for change -- it happens to me all the time. When that happens to me, I try to find something new that I can do with the phone. I spend a lot of time here in the forum researching new things I can try with my phone to keep my interest level up...

Upvote 0
i think.. if you stay with android .. you will always be second guessing and bored and dream of jumping. so that will hinder your future experience with any android phone.

so.. I recommend you try the other phone.
what will happen?
1. you will love the new type phone. be happy and move on.
or
2. you will hate the new type phone.. and find a new appreciation for android phones.. come back with new interest... and be happy

Upvote 0
I think you kinda missed my main point, which was not just that I don't like WP, but that despite tech reviewer hype, it really offers nothing new or innovative. There's really nothing there we don't already have. But there's stuff missing we *do* already have.

I can't think of a single compelling reason to switch to WP, but no trouble finding reasons not to.

As for apps to make Android look like a WP or iPhone - I just don't get it. If I had an Aston Martin, why would I want to make it look like a Toyota Prius?

Of course you can't find a reason - you hate Microsoft and that before anything else informs your opinions.

Other people of course don't share your particular bias and as such can find things appealing about it even to the extent of emulating it.

Upvote 0
Of course you can't find a reason - you hate Microsoft and that before anything else informs your opinions.
I'll admit to an element of truth to that.

Other people of course don't share your particular bias and as such can find things appealing about it even to the extent of emulating it.
My point really has nothing to do with my admitted anti-M$ bias or even that I don't like WP. It's that WP offers nothing new, no innovative, compelling features.

Name something WP8 can do that Android can't - the look, functions, whatever. I can't think of *anything*. But maybe I need some WP education...

Even if you actually like WP8, if Android can look like WP and do what WP can do, yet does more than WP can and offers far more apps and a wider and better choice of hardware, why switch to WP? Because you can?

Upvote 0
Android actually can't fully emulate the WP experience. It may be able to copy some UI elements, but it won't be as smooth or as integrated as WP. Same with the iPhone, an Android fully skinned over to look like an iPhone won't be as integrated to each other as the services on a true iPhone is. Personally, if a person wants to change, let him change. He'll come back if he decides he likes Android better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones