Thinking of moving from the Desire to the Arc.....General

1. stevep94

stevep94 Well-Known Member

I've been a happy user of the HTC Desire for over a year now and even went so far as to root it and try a few custom roms, which I have been well happy with!

Anyway, I'm out of contract in a couple of days and been toying with the idea of upgrading to the Galaxy S2 but its more than I wanted to spend per month so I've started looking at the Arc and I thought where better to ask about it than here!

My main concern is in respect of storage space, although I'm hoping that it doesn't suffer from the crippling problem my Desire had before rooting because of the option to install to the SD card where necessary!

I guess my question is, will the Arc be a decent upgrade from the Desire given its a single core processor, the same as my Desire?!?!?

The deal I have seen is only a 12 month contract that works out at around

Advertisement
  2. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

The phone doesn't have massive internal storage but you do have the option for apps to SD as the phones are on 2.3 and 2.4 is rolling out pretty soon.

I don't have an Arc, I have the Neo which is pretty much the same just a little smaller in my hands, altho I have played with both.

I have been really impressed by the pictures and video taken by it and the speakers/sound quality.

I'd have said that the deal you mentioned is not bad for an Arc and if it is only for a year then it sounds like a no brainer.
  3. rec

rec New Member

I've just switched from the Desire (which was running Oxygen) to an Arc S. I love it! It's not perfect - no phone is - but I'm very pleased. I've rooted it (very easy using zergRush) so I could install Titanium Backup and removed all the crapware which gives me much more room for apps than I had on my Desire.

The only dark cloud is that my bootloader cannot be unlocked without jumping through some very big hoops - so no custom ROM for me (although I don't think CM7 is perfect yet anyway and SE will be rolling out ICS next year).

The Good

• The screen is amazing - bright and vibrant. Videos look superb.
    • The camera is excellent especially like the panorama feature.
    • It's fast. 1.4Ghz and no noticeable lag.
    • It has a dedicated camera button with a two-press sysem allowing it to focus first.
    • The design makes it feel like it grew out of your hand. Just the right size to use with one hand.
    • The music playback quality is lush. And it comes with a really good set of headphones that have a pause/skip control.
    • Rooting it was a doddle. I used a tool called zergRush Exploit. This meant I could install Titatanium Backup and install my apps in one hit.
    • I upgraded it to Android 2.3.5 easily via their PC tool.
    • It came with an 8GB microSD card which was more generous than my HTC Desire which had a 4GB.
    • It comes with a screen protector fitted - done by machine I guess as you can hardly see the join. You also get a spare in the box.
    • It comes with an HDMI cable which I'll be using this weekend when I test the 720p recording.
    • The SE skin is actually quite nice and doesn't seem as deeply ingrained as Sense so updating to ICS will hopefully be straightforward enough.

The Bad

• Too much crapware Sony! I could only remove some of it thanks to root access.
    • The power button is too small so locking the screen with one hand is a challenge.
    • The micro USB connection is a really tight fit - I'll have to be careful with this.
    • The headphone socket is in the side - the headphones have a right-angled connector luckily, so it's not that bad.
    • The notification LED is on the side instead of the front.
    • The stock Power Widget is missing in favour of Sony widgets which is odd. I prefer the stock one so I downloaded SwitchPro instead.
    • One site won't load correctly in the browser (Home | m.guardian.co.uk) and displays as raw HTML. This is very odd - perhaps it's the user-agent string or some other mod SE have made to the browser which is otherwise identical to the stock one.
  4. zafonic

zafonic Well-Known Member

Nice to hear your pleased with your new phone. 7 months and I am still very happy with my purchase
  5. wastedagen

wastedagen Well-Known Member

I recommend getting the app 'Screen off and lock' from the market. It puts an icon on the homescreen so you can lock the screen just by tapping the icon.....