• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thinking of Rooting *Question/Help*

Hey guys I am thinking of rooting my EVO with stock 2.2. I want to make it run faster, and I know that rooting it and I think flashing it will make it run lightning quick. That's what I'm aiming for. What are the pros and cons

Pros - No Bloatware, faster, better battery life, free wifi tether, custom framework and ability to use YOUR phone however YOU want to use it.

Cons - None.

I use 4g quite a bit and I don't want to lose that. I also have NEVER done anything like this before and I am a little nervous. I just want to know if it's worth doing or not. And I think I was wrong in my previous post, overclocking makes it faster correct? lol

All sense based ROMs have working 4G. CM6 is AOSP and it lacks 4G, hdmi and FM. Removing bloatware, overclocking and custom kernels/ROMs all make the phone work faster.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm not trying to be a snob here, but I ask that you please take a little time and skim through the umpteen threads that already discuss your exact question. Afterward, if you have any specific questions or get confused, you'll find lots of helpful people here.

Here's a head start:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-proof-root-guide-nand-unlock-adb-update.html
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/165073-newby-android-rooting-question.html

Upvote 0
I use 4g quite a bit and I don't want to lose that. I also have NEVER done anything like this before and I am a little nervous. I just want to know if it's worth doing or not. And I think I was wrong in my previous post, overclocking makes it faster correct? lol

rooting is def worth it, i get 2x battery life and have access to all kinds of cool stuff like swype and such. I lost root for a while when my first evo broke and hated it. Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to help

Reactions: jdugan26
Upvote 0

If you're nervous about rooting, you need to research more. Keep reading and learning. Over time, you'll know exactly what the benefits and drawbacks of rooting are.

I'll also point you to the sticky thread in this subforum. Tons of great info for people wanting to learn more about rooting.

Upvote 0
rooting is def worth it, i get 2x battery life and have access to all kinds of cool stuff like swype and such. I lost root for a while when my first evo broke and hated it. Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to help

I second everything else said except Swype does not require root and it *is* the killer app IMHO. :D

I will probably be rooting this weekend.

T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones