Thinking of Rooting-read this

Last Updated:

1. madonna

madonna Active Member This Topic's Starter

Firstly can i say i know nothing about andriod o/s,i have an htc desire,it is 1 week old,anyway,i installed a few apps,throughout that night i get a message telling me my internal phone memory is low,ah i thought,what about my 4gb sd card onboard.
    Apparently i cant install any apps on that,i emailed htc and they replied with this,i dont know if it will happen,or whether they have said it before in the past to anyone but im sharing my news with you.
    I am currently in talks with my network to get my contract cancelled,i only went for this phone because i-phones to expensive and i thought with the andriod market having 50,000 + apps,i will never get bored,anyway here is their reply-

Thanks for your email There is no way to install apps to the SD card in the Android OS that is on the phone. No android phone can do that, simply because Google did not program that fuinction into the code. However, it has been requested many times, and they are planning to addit soon in an update expected in a couple of months. Until then, i am afraid there is nothing you can do.

Advertisement
  2. fangorious

fangorious Guest

That is reportedly a feature going into the 2.2 release coming out soon (rumored to be during the Google I/O event). HTC would then need to port their Sense UI to 2.2 for your phone.

3. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

If you do root, you can install Apps2SD to do what you want.

Not at all sure what SenseUI has to do with anything...

4. fangorious

fangorious Guest

I just meant madonna would have to wait longer than Google releasing 2.2 because the Desire runs Sense. So after waiting for 2.2 madonna has to wait for Sense on 2.2 to see apps2sd in an official/OTA update.

5. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Oh, gotcha.

6. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

Wonder if 2.2 will allow apps to be stored on the Incredibles 8gb internal as well as the memory card?

7. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

**IF** (we still don't know for sure at this point, but it would be nice) they enable installing apps to SD, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it on the 8gb internal, as well as to the memory card.

8. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

Otherwise that internal memory is pretty useless. If I can put in a 32gb transflash card, what good is 6.6 gb internal?