• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thinking of Rooting the wife's old N7, suggestions and guidance needed.

DonB

♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™
Nov 30, 2009
18th Hole Of the Golf Course
OK, got the wife a new tablet as she could not deal with how slow her N 7 first edition had become, even after numerous FR.

So with that being said, I was going to sell this device, as I really didn't need it, but for $50 it's not worth selling, so I am thinking about rooting it to see if I can speed it up a little and use it as a back up, when ever needed. I heard about Towelroot, is it safe, or is there a better and safer way ?

1) Best way to root
2) Will rooting it make it at least usable, it's so slow now
3) What Roms do you recommend.

Hey Don! :)

1) Best / easiest way to root would be:

- assuming it's a wi-fi 2012 N7 (that's what I have, too)
- also assuming your bootloader is unlocked, too
- download latest TWRP (https://dl.twrp.me/grouper/twrp-2.8.7.0-grouper.img)
- download latest Chainfire root package (https://download.chainfire.eu/696/supersu/)
- shut down device into fastboot/bootloader mode
- soft-boot TWRP (no flashing needed):

fastboot boot twrp-2.8.7.0.img
- take/make a Nandroid backup first, of course
- flash the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip file
- reboot and enjoy being rooted :)
2) Rooting in and of itself won't affect your device at all, performance-wise; it will impact this device's ability to install an OTA, but not sure we're going to see too many more of those for this N7. If you do want to install an OTA after rooting, you might end-up needing to re-flash things back to stock from a factory image (there are other, admittedly more complicated ways of avoiding that, but that's too long of a response for this thread :p).

3) Dunno--I run stock / rooted :).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, SA, question then, the issue I have the lag with this issue, since you are stock, and are rooted, do you have the lag ?? There would be no reason to root if it does not resolve this issue. Just looking to make this usable again. I would have to check to see what version LP it is one, when I get home. some have said the latest update has resolved the lag issue, I'm not sure about that.

And yes it is a 2012 WiFi 16 GB version

Upvote 0
Well, I run my devices pretty "slim" / sparse as far as apps go--so there's never much on there to keep or make things busy or churning in the background.

The apps that I don't use on fairly regular basis I simply keep "frozen" / disabled (using my app, of course). When I want to launch them, I use my app to quickly thaw and launch them (I do the same on my N5).

Maybe instead of flashing root or doing more housekeeping / factory resets, your device could benefit from a flashing of the full / current factory image? You'd lose your current setup/apps/data of course, but you'd start from a clean slate.

By the way, I updated/amended my post above to include a note above already having an unlocked bootloader. If it's not already unlocked, you'd have to to install root and/or flash a factory image.

Another path for you might also be Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit--I typically do what it does manually, but it's a great one-stop-shopping deal where all of the drivers, files / packages are already put together for you. You've got multiple options to flash and install root (or not) in there.

Cheers!

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
Thanks
Yes I did do a FR when I got the wife her new tablet, there are only 23 apps on it now, and it is still slow and lags and locks up. So I thought rooting and putting a lighter Rom might do the thing. Maybe just selling it and taking the $50 and call it a day, if I can't get rid of the Lag. I'll research more and report back on my course of action. I also posted over at XDA, let's see what they also say.

I know EP has a N7, like to hear if he has the lag issue. ;)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'll have to check it out and give it a shot

Which Gapps are you using nano or pico

If you choose to root it and flash a custom ROM... there's a build of 6.0.1 that is really awesome.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/development/unofficial-pure-nexus-project-layers-t3243943

Not only will you be running Marshmallow, it really seems to have eliminated the Lollipop lag. There are a couple of builds based on 6.0.1 but this is the only one I've tried and I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rooted and installed Pure Nexus, will test it for a few days, seems like there is still some lag, also had a browser lock up, so rebooting now. I'll play with it a little and see first. I also connect the N7 to the PC, and when I check in the drive with ES File Explorer, no files in it, LOL until I realized there was another process with Marshmallow to mount the device for file viewing, you have to click on MTP.

If I still get lag after a few days, I'll try a KitKat Rom and see. So far this will do. It's light, and only have a few apps on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*cough*, *cough*...ES File Explorer = known Chinese spyware :(.

I went from my original Astro File Manager until it became bloatware to ES File Explorer until I found out about the above.

I use X-plore File Manager and Root Explorer nowadays.

Seriously?! I use that on all my devices!! Thanks for the tip SA!!

Upvote 0
I like Euphoria for a custom ROM its light weight and pretty smooth. You'll need to install gapps with it.

I have my old N7 actually on factory Lollipop and really just use it for a radio head anymore. I have all my music up in the cloud so its a convenient way to play my stuff anywhere on any device. So really I guess now its just a glorified radio with out all the Advertisement ;)

Upvote 0
In case you guys don't frequent XDA, here is a couple of VERY useful links to help with your 2012 Nexus 7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fifthelement.trimmer
That is an app that trims the NAND chip to help with system speed. You must be rooted and you can set it to run automatically every day.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=41462770
That is a link to a thread that has a flashable ZIP download to turn off journaling.

Someone also suggested that under Settings > Developer Options > Background Process Limit to set it to 3.

Upvote 0
In case you guys don't frequent XDA, here is a couple of VERY useful links to help with your 2012 Nexus 7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fifthelement.trimmer
That is an app that trims the NAND chip to help with system speed. You must be rooted and you can set it to run automatically every day.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=41462770
That is a link to a thread that has a flashable ZIP download to turn off journaling.

Someone also suggested that under Settings > Developer Options > Background Process Limit to set it to 3.

Yep I believe that info was posted also to my thread @ XDA on my browsing lock up issues. I still get the odd browser lock up, no matter what browser I use, although Lightning browser is the best to date, it does not allow for the feature for Request for desktop.

I may this weekend flash a 4.4.4 Rom from Omni Rom, many seem to have their N7 back to normal with that Rom. If I do so, I'll report back, I don't really use this tablet that much, so it not a biggie, but I may just give it a shot.

Upvote 0
I like Euphoria for a custom ROM its light weight and pretty smooth. You'll need to install gapps with it.

I have my old N7 actually on factory Lollipop and really just use it for a radio head anymore. I have all my music up in the cloud so its a convenient way to play my stuff anywhere on any device. So really I guess now its just a glorified radio with out all the Advertisement ;)
you have a link to this Rom with the Gapps ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones