• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of selling my laptop and getting a Chromebook

Just a quick question from someone thinking about picking one up... What's the offline experience like. Are they usable when you don't have an internet connection. They look fantastic machines for travelling users. But what can I do on the journey without a WiFi connection?

well if you need to type up a document or work on a project it will save your work until you can get online and then it will sync with your google drive account.

other then that most of the other stuff you will need a wifi connection. not really sure what you plan on doing when your are not on wifi.

+1

It would also be a good idea to get a USB drive or SD card and put any music and videos you want to have access to.

Upvote 0
No I don't miss anything at all. I actually had to use my roommate's windows laptop today because she wanted me to burn some files to a CD for her and it made me realize how much I love my Chromebook. I never realized just how slow a $300 windows laptop is until I used an Intel Chromebook! Give it a few weeks and see.

Yeah, everything seems so bulky by comparison considering how smoothly the Haswell Chromebooks run. I'm very impressed with mine thus far.

Upvote 0
12 inches seems a little small (I have a 23" desktop monitor)

Is it easy to get used to (never really had a laptop before, but I have used a couple, obviously)

For me there was only a small adjustment period. I had a 17" laptop for a year before the Chromebook and a 15" before that. I actually think the size is perfect now. That combined with the weight make the Chromebook very enjoyable to me.

Another option for you would be the new Toshiba 13" or the HP 14". They both have the same Haswell processor and while I'm not sure about the battery life of the Toshiba, the HP is the best of the bunch with over 9 hours.

Upvote 0
The one thing that's missing from the Chromebook (for my uses) is the ability to upload music to Google Play Music. It is supposed to be available soon though. I already uploaded my collection on a Windows PC and now I'm 100% Chromebook and still loving it!

I didn't have to wait long! The ability to upload music as well as a new mini-player is now available!

Google Play Music Finally Lets You Upload Songs In The Browser, Adds Pop-Out Mini Player For Good Measure

I just tested it. Here's a screenshot.
Screenshot2014-03-27at13802AM_zps688aa015.png

I also read in the comments that the download limit of two times per song has been lifted. I tested it and downloaded the same song six times so It seems to be true!

Upvote 0
^^^^

Here's an issue with Google Play Music might run into if you travel internationally, e.g. travelling outside of the US....

Now you see it....
attachment.php

Now you don't...
attachment.php

Same website, play.google.com/store, same Google account. Other things seem to have gone as well, like movies & TV, books and newsstand and are unavailable, which would include any of your own songs you uploaded as well.

I know what's going on here, but anyone care to guess though.

googlemusic1.jpggooglemusic2.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones