• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

thinking of switching but have questions

daspoon

Lurker
Sep 21, 2013
Hello, I am deep into the apple ecosystem. macbook pros, iPads, apple tv, wives iPhone and iPads so on and so on. we really take full advantage of iCloud and the easy sharing between all of the devices. I am very tech savvy and like to make things do cool stuff. I have always jailbroken my iPhones and iPads because of the potential they have outside of stock iOS. My problem now is that I am getting bored and really want a bigger screen. The 5 and 5s are bigger than my 4s but not really. I am considering the Galaxy S4 or Note 2 or 3 but I am afraid of how much disconnect I am might get without the iCloud interaction with my other devices and such. I hear there are "ways" to use iCloud on android but not sure how. Any info from someone who has the same situation and converted would greatly be appreciated.

You did ask a very specific question: you asked for experiences from a heavy iCloud user. 66 views isn't that many, and there may well not have been such a user amongst them. For example, we have a few apple devices in my family, but nobody who uses iCloud, so I don't feel I can help.

Same for me I think. I got a MacBook my father gave me, but don't use icloud...sorry.

Upvote 0
Hello, I am deep into the apple ecosystem. macbook pros, iPads, apple tv, wives iPhone and iPads so on and so on. we really take full advantage of iCloud and the easy sharing between all of the devices. I am very tech savvy and like to make things do cool stuff. I have always jailbroken my iPhones and iPads because of the potential they have outside of stock iOS. My problem now is that I am getting bored and really want a bigger screen. The 5 and 5s are bigger than my 4s but not really. I am considering the Galaxy S4 or Note 2 or 3 but I am afraid of how much disconnect I am might get without the iCloud interaction with my other devices and such. I hear there are "ways" to use iCloud on android but not sure how. Any info from someone who has the same situation and converted would greatly be appreciated.

For Apple TV, Check out "AppleTV AirPlay Media Player"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zappotvapple

Most email apps will support your me accounts.

You can link your calendar on a Mac to a Google calendar and from there to your phone. You can't sync iCloud calendars so far as I know.

You can sync iTunes music via a number of apps.

You can take advantage of direct usb connection to your Macs in most cases using Android File Transfer. Otherwise, use Airdroid, it's very easy and just works.

I recommend Dropbox for automatic syncing with a phone - you can get a free Applescript that will watch your Dropbox for new pictures and automagically import them into iPhoto without having to do anything.

You can easily export your Address Book into your Google contacts and then keep your Address Book sync'd with Google, and your phone automatically syncs with that.

About the only thing that you can't do is watch iTunes movies that you've purchased because of Apple-only DRM.

It's pretty easy to live in a Mac/Android world.

This is really basic stuff, I'm sorry no one provided simple answers and that I didn't get here earlier.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones