• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of switching from iPhone

I've been an iPhone user for a couple of years, but I've just about had it with AT&T service problems. I'm seriously considering switching to an Android phone, and Verizon is the only provider with reliable service at my location. I don't mind the extra large size, as long as it fits in my jeans pocket. I can accept that it won't be quite as "smooth" as the iPhone. I do have a couple of issues, however. One, I use my 32GB iPhone as my MP3 player, and I use most of the storage for music. How much can I store on a Droid X? Two, I use the Safari web browser a lot on the iPhone. How comfortable is web browsing on Android? It seems like it's probably fast enough, but I'm used to pinch-zooming on the iPhone to navigate. Any other switchers care to comment on using a web browser on Android, especially on non-mobile-enhanced sites?

define smooth? every hands on review I've seen read sings of the "snappiness" of this phone. Specs have not been made official yet, but it is said to have 8gb internal memory and will probably support up to 32gb sd cards. pinch to zoom is onboard for web browsing. Watch the engadget hands on review on the X. they put the browser thru a mini test.

Upvote 0
define smooth? every hands on review I've seen read sings of the "snappiness" of this phone. Specs have not been made official yet, but it is said to have 8gb internal memory and will probably support up to 32gb sd cards. pinch to zoom is onboard for web browsing. Watch the engadget hands on review on the X. they put the browser thru a mini test.

just switch.
its the future NOW!
up to 40gb with a 32gb card...pinch to zoom and super fast!
its just better than the iphone. any droid phone for that matter.

Upvote 0
...had it with AT&T service problems... ...Verizon is the only provider with reliable service at my location...
Carrier seems to be a much bigger issue in the US than europe. Considering the european(well UK at least) iP4s aren't locked, I wonder how many are going to be imported into the US to be used on carriers other than AT&T?

If not an option for you then I'd strongly suggest trying the Android handset you like the look of before committing (I assume you can get handsets with a 7day trial period like in the UK?) I can't vouch for all handsets, but the Hero's media player is pretty crap IMO, and you'll want to make sure you're happy using something other than iTunes to sync your media.

I use Opera as a browser, and it's much better than the others I've tried for Android, but there're a few available to try out.

Upvote 0
The first gen droids are somewhat slow. My rooted droid with froyo is very fast. About 3.5x faster according to benchmarks I ran. OCd to 700MHz 4x faster. Now with the new processors coming out, the new phones will be even faster and plenty snappy.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
first off apple electronics are nice to look at, they look very modern and "cool" in your pocket.LMFAO. Now thats nice and all, but i need something with multitasking, more functionality, more options and a free environment where i can go and do as i please. MOST importantly, i need something that wont drop 7 out of 10 facking calls.

The fruits had a nice intro into the phone game but it is a whole different ballgame now. The basket that apple lays in, is a jail really. "cant do this, cant do that...but you can have FOLDERS!!!!YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY -_- now HAILLLLLL daaa muddership!!"

Android is providing things now that iphone wont get for another 4-5 years!! Just watch the google video that compares the incredible to the ipad. Take a look at the direction android is going. Look at google and ALL of its FREE wonderful services that the FRUITs would have charged for.

now i dont have the X yet, but from the specs i have read....... what the fack is an iphone? Is that like a toy for little kids? is it a fashion accessory? Or is it just another outdated piece of DUMBED DOWN simplistic technology with a fruitcake logo on it?

x marks the spot for next gen, the fruits are stuck in a basket

Upvote 0
actually he must be living under a apple

Yeah thats is probably what the apple store Jesus told him! :D

33mr4mu.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones