thinking of switching over...

Last Updated:

1. osborj79

osborj79 New Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 2, 2010
    I have the sprint hero, and honestly no phone has frustrated me more than the Hero. It lags, freezes, shuts down and I can keep going on and on. Im ready to buy the Evo at full price, but only if it has none of the downsides that the Hero has. Sure the apps and customization are great, but the only reason I would switch to the Evo at full price is because I wouldnt have to be frustrated while using a phone every day. someone please give me the goods and bads of the Evo to help me feel better about buying it.

2. rckymtn

rckymtn Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    Pro's-8MP camera, and a front facing camera. 4.3 screen. My first android so this all i know. Still in a learning stage.
  3. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    The EVO is a brand new phone and does not come without its share of annoying issues. And although my EVO has never shut down on its own, or frozen up, I have read on this forum that others have had some of those problems.

I made the move from an iPhone to the EVO and am very happy I did. My kids have the Hero's and are pretty happy with them, but they really want the EVO.

Is the EVO better than the Hero? Oh yea. Is it "better" enough to justify the hit of full retail? That one's your call.
  4. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010

your location and quality of sprint signal will affect any smartphone's performance.

you need to find someone.. that will let you play with it for 30 mins.
  5. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    All I can say is it is SO much better then my Hero was... if you have the money easy, no brainier, you will love the Evo over the Hero that much.
  6. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I had both devices and i share your pain and frustration with the Hero...hated that device. I just had it to hold me over till the EVO release

Now alot of people have only stated the cons of the device and to be honest, they are not exaggerating

However cons i am sure you can find all through this forum...Bricking of the phone due to a sprint update(but i think this has been rectified)

Light leakage/screen issues

Other hardware issues(webcam not least on my evo...and my dad's)

I heard wi-fi was a problem with it having an extremely weak signal but the update i mentioned above i heard was supposed to fix it

All in all, the EVO has had quite a few complaints in it's almost one month of being out for sale

but trust me...with all the issues with the EVO you will definitely love the experience once you get it and trash the Hero

Also do like my friend did...if you are paying full retail and your hero is in good condition
    sell it on craigslist for 125-150 :)
  7. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

Jan 16, 2010
    My Hero was great up until I installed 2.1 on it, then it turned into a useless piece of crap. My Evo is awesome, best phone I have ever had. I have had some light leakage since I got it a month ago but the screen isnt coming apart. I do have the gel on it, maybe that helps prevent the screen coming up, I dont know. I paid full retail for the Evo and dont regret it a bit!
  8. GoofyGirl

GoofyGirl Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I too switched from the Hero to the Evo - I have not looked back for one second! Everything about this phone is better! No random reboots like with Hero, excellent performance, incredible pictures and video! LOVE the Evo!!!!!
  9. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    My wife has a Hero and I thought it was cool when I had my G1. Now I can't even stand to look at it. :)

If you can hold out a little longer wait until the Edge comes out and see if you like it.