• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of switching to Android from the iPhone, but have questions

memo90061

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
Hello! I hope I can get from help from this forum. I've read other similar threads, but still have a couple of questions.

I'm so used to using iOS because I've been using it since it started. I feel like it hasn't changed much since it started. I'm starting to get bored of it. I jailbreaked it, and have downloaded different themes, but I still haven't been happy with it. I can't make my own ringtones, and I can't send music to others.

There are things I really do like about iOS though. I really like iMessage, and being able to communicate with people all over the world through there. I guess I'll just have to get every one to download the whatsapp app. I really will miss FaceTime too. I don't think my family would want to get Skype though.

In Android is there an app to show pictures I've taken on a map? In iOS it's already integrated into the photos app. I like seeing where the pictures were taken on a map.

I forgot what else I like about it, but I really would like to try Android. What phone would you recommend? I'm looking to spend around 300 dollars for an unlocked phone. I would get the Galaxy Nexus, but it only has 16gb of internal storage, and I would like at least 32gb because of my music. I've seen unlocked Samsung Galaxy S2's on craigslist for 300. Are there any other unlocked phones in this price range? What phone do you recommend? I would like to get the Galaxy S3, but it's around 500 or more unlocked. I would like to use it in Mexico too. In the US I'm thinking of using it with T-Mobile prepaid.

Thank you!

Hello! I hope I can get from help from this forum. I've read other similar threads, but still have a couple of questions.

I'm so used to using iOS because I've been using it since it started. I feel like it hasn't changed much since it started. I'm starting to get bored of it. I jailbreaked it, and have downloaded different themes, but I still haven't been happy with it. I can't make my own ringtones, and I can't send music to others.

There are things I really do like about iOS though. I really like iMessage, and being able to communicate with people all over the world through there. I guess I'll just have to get every one to download the whatsapp app. I really will miss FaceTime too. I don't think my family would want to get Skype though.

In Android is there an app to show pictures I've taken on a map? In iOS it's already integrated into the photos app. I like seeing where the pictures were taken on a map.

I forgot what else I like about it, but I really would like to try Android. What phone would you recommend? I'm looking to spend around 300 dollars for an unlocked phone. I would get the Galaxy Nexus, but it only has 16gb of internal storage, and I would like at least 32gb because of my music. I've seen unlocked Samsung Galaxy S2's on craigslist for 300. Are there any other unlocked phones in this price range? What phone do you recommend? I would like to get the Galaxy S3, but it's around 500 or more unlocked. I would like to use it in Mexico too. In the US I'm thinking of using it with T-Mobile prepaid.

Thank you!

The GNex is really a fantastic phone, but I may be a lil biased :p . The great thing about going from iOS to Android is that you can transfer ALL your iTunes music to Google Music. You can store all your music in "The Cloud" so internal storage isn't really that big of an issue, assuming most of your storage is music.

I have the VZW branded GNex, and it's a great device. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

-GalaxyNexus :D

Upvote 0
Thank you! :D The Galaxy Nexus sounds great, and even more unlocked at 350 new. I really would like to have my music in the phone though. I feel like I would go past the allowed bandwidth.

That's why I've been leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy S2 because it supports external SD cards. Are there any other new phones that priced well?

Upvote 0
How many gigs worth of music do you have?

I can't speak for the OP, but I have about 70 gigs. Google Music says it allows 20,000 "songs" to be uploaded but it doesn't say how much space they mean by that. I have about 11,000 tracks but many of them are big and almost all of them are between 240-320 kbps, so I'd like to know how much SPACE Google Music allows.

Upvote 0
plnelson;[URL="tel:4838948" said:
4838948[/URL]]I can't speak for the OP, but I have about 70 gigs. Google Music says it allows 20,000 "songs" to be uploaded but it doesn't say how much space they mean by that. I have about 11,000 tracks but many of them are big and almost all of them are between 240-320 kbps, so I'd like to know how much SPACE Google Music allows.

Wow. and I thought I had a lot of music. I don't know how much space Google Music allows, but I am curious if you can play your music offline when its stored in Google Music?

Upvote 0
Wow. and I thought I had a lot of music. I don't know how much space Google Music allows, but I am curious if you can play your music offline when its stored in Google Music?

You can select whole songs or albums to be able to play offline.
To the poster above you should be fine, its just going to take a whileeee until all your music uploads and when I say that I mean with normal use its going to take you at least 3 weeks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones