Thinking of taking it backSupport

Last Updated:

1. jcp741

jcp741 Member This Topic's Starter

I am experiencing these random shutdowns much more often now. It is totally unacceptable. I have tried all the snake oil fixes and nothing is doing the trick. I am seriously thinking of taking it back and exchanging for an Aria. I love the Captivate but its imperative that my phone works.

Advertisement
  2. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

You're absolutely correct in not settling. But...exchange it for another Captivate. The shutdown is not an issue that's being experienced across the board. It's too good a phone to turn your back on.

3. jcp741

The problem with getting another is what if I have the same issue? I dont have alot of time remaining on my "30 Days" to try it. I really love the Captivate except for this issue. The lack of recognition by Samsung is even more troubling. If I thought there were a fix coming soon I would hold on. I just dont want to be left holding the bag and out of luck!

4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

boot into recovery mode and clear your cache see if that helps

5. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

I understand since I've been there. It comes down to your relationship with the store (if you got it at an AT&T corporate store). It's a people thing. When I did my most recent exchange I had a heart-to-heart with the store manager and he said he'd be there for me if necessary. Try it befor the 30 days expire. If it doesn't work at one store, try another. Some personnel feel a need to be authoritative, while others have enough self-assurance to be real.

If your allusion to Samsung speaks of a conversation with their tech support, the next time you have the urge to ask their advice go for a root canal instead. It's less painful and more rewarding.

6. jcp741

I have decided that I am just going to exchange this phone for another Captivate and I am hoping the new one won't have the same issue. I love this phone and I really want it to work like it is designed to. Keeping my fingers crossed!

7. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I will pray for u and your new captivate tonight. Sleep tight!

jcp741 likes this.
  8. Boldt

Boldt Well-Known Member

Good luck man. I think all will go well with the new phone. Keep us posted and talking with the store manager is not a bad idea. If he is aware of your situation he might be able to work with you if you do in fact get another "lemon"

Peace

Boldt

jcp741 likes this.
  9. jcp741

LOL!! Thanks! I know the good people of Samsung are breathing a heavy sigh of relief knowing that I will be staying with their product! The CEO was rumored to have let out a "whew....we almost lost Jay to HTC!" After reading this thread!

10. TRSN

TRSN Well-Known Member

Ask for an extension to your 30 days. I did last week when I told them I wanted to return it because of the GPS issue. They gave me an extra week. I watched them put a note in my file indicating the extra time on my return period.

I returned it today, as I am moving over to Sprint tomorrow morning. GPS issue still not fixed.

Captivate was a great phone for me (except for GPS). Epic reportedly does not have the same issues.

11. jcp741

I will definitely be talking to him. I actually bought it (as well as my last 4 phones..for the daughters) at Best Buy. In my experience they are head and shoulders above the staff at my local AT&T locations. The manager is a nice guy and I am sure he will help me out if he can. Thanks for the encouraging words!

12. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member

I exchanged my captivate because of random shutdowns. So far so good. I would suggest just exchanging it

13. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you've opted for another Captivate vs. the Aria. Nothing against the Aria, except that once you've had a taste of the Captivate I believe the Aria could be a disappointment.

Keep us updated.

14. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member

Enjoy the Epic!

I tracked my ride home from work yesterday and lunchtime walk on GPS. Odd thing is, if I load GPS Test first - it locks on sattelites within seconds and tracked my ride and walk perfectly. If I just loaded Google Maps without GPS Status, it wouldn't even locate me.

I don't even understand that :confused:

15. lawerence

lawerence Member

I sold my captivate last might on craigslist for 350,i got 4 calls about it within an hour of putting it up.
    Got the epic this morning from a friend at sprint. I can sau that it terms of gps locks my captivate was never this fast (when it actually worked), and im really happy that I have a flash again, that wad the one thing hardware wise that I felt the captivate was really lacking.

16. jcp741

I exchanged my Captivate 8-31-10 at Best Buy. The new one is no better. This phone shuts down at least 4-6 times each day. Totally unacceptable. It is going back to Best Buy tomorrow. I hate to let it go because I love it save for the constant shutdowns which renders the phone completely unreliable for me. I am going to the Aria, from what Ive read on it, while its no Captivate, seems to be dependable and thats what I need. I am very disappointed but I am sick of the problems.

17. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

What did you install on the new one after you bought it?

The fact that some people seem to have shutdown problems no matter how many Captivates they churn through, while other people never have the issue, suggests that it's a usage habit on the user's part. One has to wonder if there is certain software (or combination of software) or certain "tweaks" that some people are doing that they think are benign but are causing the shutdown problems for them.

18. sharkhark

sharkhark Well-Known Member

sheesh...i am returning a sony x10 that random shuts down and crashes all the time...google maps use..crash...use the camera...crash.
    so i am offered a captivate coming out here in canada in a couple weeks...and i read about poor gps (something i have an issue with on my x10) and frequent crashes..i dont want to give up the sony to end up with the same.
    Are these common things?
    I am getting paranoid....please dont push me to the apple world...i dont have as much choice here in cda and so....thoughts?

19. jcp741

Absolutely nothing loaded on it. Bone stock. I am really bummed because I think the Captivate is a great piece but the shut downs are killing me! Both phones seemed to shut down multiple times until the battery levels got around 85% then they stopped. Very, very strange.

20. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

The gps issue is still an problem right now , samsung did say they would release an fix for the galaxy s gps issues. You can wait and see if they actually go thru with that

21. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

Get a replacement SIM card.

22. jcp741

Some posters asked to be updated on the resolution. If you're not interested in it then don't click the link to the thread!

UPDATE!! Back to Best Buy again today and spoke with the manager and got yet another Captivate. He was gracious enough to extend the 30 days for me and said if I had any issues to bring it back and they would make it right. You can't ask for much more than that! Hoping that the third times a charm! Again, a big thanks to all of you that are sharing information on these phones. It makes things much easier for the crowd thats migrating into Android!

23. BoulderGeek

BoulderGeek Banned

I'm getting more excited about the rumored HTC Glacier on TMobile.

I'd rather be on their network, and I'd rather have an HTC phone with similar specs as the Galaxy S series (without the quality issues). I can return my phone and get by on my old phone until November. :)

24. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

Going to return my Captivate to BestBuy tomorrow, for the second time. The first one had the shutdown issues. This second one has been good on shutdowns but I waited until I could get a good screen protector before removing stock screen protector. The AT&T store finally got some in and so I bought a set of 3. When I lifted up the stock screen protector, I noticed that there was a chip of glass missing from the screen. It wasn't stuck to the screen protector and my phone hasn't been dropped or hit or anything. There isn't even a scratch on the screen protector so I am assuming it was a bad screen that got through QC. Oh well, maybe third Captivate is the charm :)

25. homerbaby

homerbaby New Member

i am having the same shut down problems