• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Third party applications checkbox

RoseRodent

Lurker
Jan 18, 2011
I have installed an application from a trusted source that required me to check the box to accept apps from "unknown sources". Now that I have installed the app I want, do I have to leave this box checked in order for the app to work, or can I uncheck it now that I've completed the installation?

If I need to leave it checked, what is the risk element? I don't intend to go around and install a load of apps from sources that are entirely unknown to me, I just wondered if there was a greater risk of 'silent' installations, anything that can happen to my phone if I don't ever install anything else from 3rd party sources, or is the 'risk' element confined to actually deliberately downloading and installing these other apps?

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones