This appears to be itGeneral

Last Updated:

1. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

HTC Eris (Droid Eris, Desire) - gdgt

And I'm hearing that "Droid" is really just Verizon's name for a series of Android phones, one of which will be the Droid Eris. I wonder if this is just a rebranded Hero. Sure seems like it or it would be getting a bigger push from Verizon, don't you think?

Advertisement
  2. droidnut

droidnut Well-Known Member

THIS is gonna be my 1st Android...no doubt. There's also buzz that this one could have 2.0 with it! ;) Great post and find. It's set to be released on Nov. 6th in stores.

Correction: The Eris will ship w 1.5.

3. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As I understand it, this phone is running 2.0 and has the new 1 GHz "snapdragon" Cortex A8 processor, which would be pretty darn amazing. That would make it basically a bigger, *much* faster version of the Hero.

I'm torn. I think the Droid might be the phone for me, but I sure love the Sense UI. If this phone comes out at the same time as the Droid, I'm going to have a hard time making up my mind.

4. Sketh

Sketh New Member

What you are thinking of is the "HTC Passion." the "Desire" (Eris) is very much the exact same as the Hero, Same 528 Processor, everything. What gets me is everyone is complaining that this phone is underpowered, when it is infact the very same phone as the Hero, which currently (Pending the release of the Droid) is the Android phone to have, right now.

The HTC Passion is also rumored to be arriving before years end on Verizon, so if that's what you want, wait for that.

Regardless I think the Eris looks great.

[​IMG]

(Here's a link with more info: Verizon’s HTC Droid Eris makes another appearance Boy Genius Report)

5. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

I think this is the best looking HTC phone yet. Much better than Sprints Hero. And I only say that, because the overall look of this phone just screams Hero to me.

6. droidnut

This Eris is rockin yet nobody is really talkin about it. :confused: The Droid is awesome and all but this phone is great, too.

7. gthrift

gthrift Guest

The bigger, better phone is always going to grab the spotlight. I was actually excited about his phone until I found out about the droid. The UI is nice on this but the Droid just blows it away in every other category. Now it's hard to get excited about a phone with older hardware and OS.
    It does look a whole lot better than the EU and Sprint version of the Hero though.

8. faculak99

faculak99 Member

YOu are mistaking the phones. The Droid is a phone by itself by Motorola. The big feature is that it will be coming out of the box running 2.0. The downside of this phone for me is that it does not have 2 finger touch. The Eris is the Hero equivalent for Verizon, and no it will not be running 2.0, so it will be identical to the Hero in every way. However, like the Hero, it is again rumored to be getting 2.0 by Christmas.

The 1GHZ Snapdragon processor by Qualcomm is not yet out, but is rumored to be coming out in the new HTC Dragon. The Dragon was rumored to come out some time after December. No telling yet, as the rumors stop there. I am not even sure if the Dragon will have 2 finger touch.

One other bit of information - the car application advertised on the Droid is not an Android feature, and is rumored that it will not be available on the other Android phones on Verizon.

Hope all that helps. Lots and Lots of Rumors.

9. droidnut

Hey, Faculak. Thanx for the info. The Dragon will be called the HTC Passion for VZW. I just can't justify paying the amount on it's price tag compared to the Eris' $99. This will be my first Android so I don't think I can go wrong w the VZW version of the Hero. Hero has done pretty well. ;)

10. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

My concerns with the HTC Eris is the battery life, memory and I have read that there have been roller/track ball issues?

11. hokie

hokie New Member

Anyone notice if you search eris on the verizon webpage it comes up with accessories. hopefully they'll release some more info on this phone soon so the ambiguity and anticipation for those interested will end.

12. ZX-10R

ZX-10R Member

hokie, i did this yesterday and got a couple bluetooth devices that came up.. itired it for Droid and nothing... I most likely will get this being new to all this, and once i get enough knowlegde of what everything is and does i can then upgrade and get the big boy toys....

13. gluis

gluis Active Member

I've seen a couple of reports stating that the Eris is supposed to launch on Nov. 6th also. Without having heard anything official I'm curious if it will just be a "quiet launch" or same day "announcement and launch" so as to not detract from the Moto Droid.

I called the local Verizon store and the sales guy acted totally ignorant ... I'm not talking "Oh, gee, there is nothing official" but mor like "Eris? What's that???" He just lost commission ... I'll order online.

14. droidnut

That's to be expected from the store reps. I would order online anyways for the better deal. No rebates...just the price. To easy to forget to mail those things in. ;)

15. ocxersMe

ocxersMe Well-Known Member

Does this phone comes to Sprint? If yes, then the sprint users may happy.