this battery is ridiculousSupport

Last Updated:

1. skyhigh302

skyhigh302 New Member This Topic's Starter

today's my 4th day of using the phone.
    I just charged it while phone's on, from 1 bar of battery left. It only took 1 hour for the LCD light to go green? that doesn't sound right. Is that normal? :(

Advertisement
  2. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member

What version of Android is on the phone? I know you said you got it 4 days ago, but if you don't have Froyo (2.2), that could be normal. The battery would charge from any level in under an hour for me on Eclair (2.1), but now I only get 20%/hour when charging.

3. sail4fun201

sail4fun201 Well-Known Member

Yep, that's normal. The battery charges really fast.

A practice you should get into if you want to get the best battery life is "bump charging." This is when you charge the phone while it is on until it says it is charged, then you turn it off. The LED will go back to orange for like 15-20 minutes and then green again. Then turn it back on and unplug - your battery wont drop from 100-90 nearly as fast.

I do this in the morning - after the alarm goes off on my phone, I shut it off and leave it on the charger so it can bump charge, and before I leave in the morning, I grab it off the charger and it's ready to go.

4. sail4fun201

The November OTA restores the original charging rate. I would assume that's being installed onto the phones they're currently shipping.

5. skyhigh302

skyhigh302 New Member This Topic's Starter

Yup, Froyo's on there. I know others have said it before but i wanna say it again the absurdity of us needing to do a bump charge. Maybe the battery has a break-in period also? that as time passes, it'll charge normally like it should without having to do a bump charge?

Thanks for all your help guys, appreciate it! :)

6. sail4fun201

I don't think so, unfortunately.

You don't NEED to do one, but it does help. If you're getting through a day and are plugging in at night with plenty of juice, don't bother.

7. HoochieCoo

HoochieCoo Well-Known Member

I was worried about the battery life when I first got it (recently) too. But... after about a week, the stock battery started holding a charge better. Then after the November OTA Update, the charge time was much faster.

About 4 days ago, I received a 1500mah battery I had ordered and I switched to that. Already it seems to be doing a bit better and it was only $14. If push comes to shove, I can still switch the 1750 (or bigger) batteries.

8. AndroidRider

AndroidRider Well-Known Member

The bump charging is only useful if the phone's been sitting at %100 while still on the charger for a while, if you were to say charge your battery in the day time and unplugged it as soon as it turned green bump charging isn't gonna help ya.

9. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member

Oh snap it does?

*runs off to check if Virtuous has been updated*

10. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member

Yes, virtuous has been updated with the new kernel for a while.