• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] This infernal thing won't let me change launchers!

SkinJob

Oct 5, 2010
I've been stuck two days now trying to change the default launcher on my MIUI ROM. It sounds like a simple task, but for some reason, it isn't. The problem is when I switch to another launcher, pressing home always returns to the MIUI default launcher, no matter what I do.

Some of what I have already tried:

* I've allowed MIUI to give full root permissions to the launchers. But I cannot clear defaults or manage permissions for MIUI's launcher in settings, as it is greyed out.
* Tried setting the launchers to set themselves as default (and keep in memory), within their own settings wherever possible.
* I've tried several apps promising to change defaults to allow for alternative home launchers. None worked.
* I tried freezing MIUI's launcher and running Apex. This finally worked to keep Apex as default! Except after I rebooted, it got stuck on boot and I LOST EVERYTHING.
* I upgraded MIUI unofficial ROM to 4.2.2, then 4.9.19. No difference.

As far as I can tell, the problem does not appear to be related to: the phone, the ROM, or the launcher app. Why, because I had ADW working fine for years over a slightly previous version of this MIUI ROM (v4.1.2). I can't remember when things changed, but probably some time after trying Apex. But now, setting the launcher to ADW again changes nothing, the system still returns to MIUI home.

ROM: MIUI v5, (Blackwing182) version: 4.9.19
Android: JB 4.2.2
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Reactions: Divergent
I wish the answer were that easy.... None of the usual fixes apply here. Clear the defaults of the MIUI launcher in Settings? CAN'T! It's greyed out. When another launcher is installed, pressing the home button NEVER brings up a box to select the default launcher. Instead, it just pops out of it and back into the MIUI launcher.

No way did Xiaomi change their system to disallow other launchers. But even if they did, I wrote that this happened on the original 4.12 version of the unofficial ROM, and I was using ADW on it for years. So it can't be due to the update I made. Also, apart from Apex, i did not install other apps during this time.

Have a look at this about changing the launcher in Miui.
http://en.miui.com/thread-2597-1-1.html

Unless Xiaomi have made a change that prevents the use of other launchers? It's really their specific stock launcher that makes it "Miui".

Upvote 0
When i was on MIUI v5 on my death S2 was i also encountering this issue, this issue needs some audience.

Indeed. The thread that MikeDT linked to was one I had already read in my research toward solving this. The last post says "Thanks, that worked!". But the post that gave the solution was missing!! And it's the only thing I found on Google that comes close to addressing this problem!

UPDATE: ....But I have currently solved the problem, this way:

- Complete wipe (including factory reset), re-flashed the Blackwing MIUI v5 S3 ROM, but used the d2tmo 3.9.27 version... even though I have a d2att phone!).
- Froze MIUI Home, removed its permissions, gave full root and autostart permissions to Apex

Here's the important part: In most cases, the problems creeped in after restoring the apps/system info. I restored most of the system info, and after rebooting, eliminated that as a problem. So I knew it was probably one of the apps causing problem. But which one, I have 300 apps? I restored only the "benign" user apps (downloaded from a market) that I thought would not be "dangerous".

I have restored some 85 - 90% of the original number of apps backed up.

I rebooted..... it did not give me an "updating apps" warning (as it did many times before), and I am able to boot into Apex. MIUI launcher does not exist any longer, as far as this OS is concerned. Thank god!

And finally.... I am able to create widgets ( I was not able before).

I am not even sure if all this is re-creatable, but I hope it might help someone in the same boat. I know I worked for 14 hours straight on this problem; and anything helps!! :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones