• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This is really upsetting to me (UNLIMITTED DATA ENDING)

It is a matter of the spike in data usage. I am sure that it is using hardware and software greater than it ever has. Just a guess but I would bet data usage has at least tripled in the last 2 years. So that has to put a strain on providers.
Soon enough Walmart will probably offer phone service and then all the prices should drop :O)

Upvote 0
I am still on an Alltel plan and I upgraded 2 phones from Blackberry to Android. I still get my 12 friends and family from Alltel days and I didnt have to change my plan.

Even if you get a new phone, you dont always have to change to a new plan.

I believe those with 3G phones now will be able to keep unlimited data unless they move to a LTE phone (when available)

Upvote 0
I'm curious of how much it'll cost compared to current unlimited plans. I only use about 2GB and do not consider myself a heavy user(I guess mainly from streaming media); though it's probably much more because half of the time I'm using Wi-Fi(especially at school where 3G doesn't work). If I use wireless tethering though I'm sure that'll go up a lot.

Upvote 0
When Verizon makes the official announcement it will take affect at the given date they have chosen. It will affect those who are becoming customers and those who are renewing their contract from that date and beyond. They will more than likely send a letter to their customers concerning this change.

who read letters anymore anyway??? email, they need to send me an email, and I'll let my spam filter take it away....

Upvote 0
So out of curiosity I went to myverizon to see what our usage has been: I'm consistently at 5gb a month data usage, and my boyfriend is at 20gb. I consider myself a somewhat heavy internet user and he is not. I assume this has to be an app, but to figure this out (mostly out of sheer curiosity on our parts): what exactly is data usage made up on besides web pages?

Upvote 0
While unlimited is great, as long as they offer a 500mb, 2gb and 5gb everyone(almost) should be covered. At&t's 200mb is too low I think, but they definitely need to offer something above 2gb.
Those would be the data levels I would hope Verizon would go with which obviously means they won't because it makes too much sense for us.

Upvote 0
It has been speculated that LTE will NOT be tiered and all 3g users in their current contract will not have to pay for tiered service.

I don't see the big deal, as by the time LTE is rolled out my contract will be eligible for upgrade and I will be going for an LTE phone which will be unlimited until everyone switched from 3g to 4g, this wont happen over night and most people who are the "data hogs" will be switching to 4g anyway, leaving the spectrum open

Non issue- for the people it will affect, it will probably lower the bill....

Upvote 0
odds are they will do it like att not the tiers or pricing but implementation. we will see rollout with launch of LTE most likely or right before.

but like ATT they will most likely grandfather you in until you want to change your plan. but by law they cannot implement this to you during your contract since it violates the original terms and you will be allowed to cancel without ETF.

I remember t-mobile did something a few years back where they altered their pricing or terms and it allowed a lot of people to cancel for free.

Upvote 0
Yep. I knew this gravy train would be ending soon. Until then, enjoy the free tethering. In my area my downstream is nearly as fast as my throttled Comcast connection.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if I can just keep paying into my existing plan when my contract ends, but I'm not expecting it.

Be happy that you will have unlimited 3g for another year and a half (assuming you purchased the Incredible upon released date).

It's the future for everyone. Unlimited data plans are the past. Capped tiered plans are the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones