• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This is why bing should drop dead

exzacklyright

Jan 17, 2011
Bing caught copying search results from Google

http://searchengineland.com/google-bing-is-cheating-copying-our-search-results-62914
Google first suspected foul play in May 2010. By October 2010, with Bing results beginning to look uncannily like Google's, it knew something had to be done about it -- and so, in true, nerdtastic style, Google set up a sting to prove that Microsoft was actually behind the wholesale mimicry of Google's search results.

Google injected "synthetic" results into its search engine -- fake queries and results that no real user or engine would ever generate. Then, on D-Day, December 17, about 20 Google engineers were asked to run the test queries with Internet Explorer 8, Bing Bar and Suggested Sites. By December 31, some of these fake results began appearing on Bing. See the examples after the break -- it's damning.

example-1-500x122.png

example-1-bing-500x129.png

indoswiftjobinproduction-Google-Search-500x109.jpg

indoswiftjobinproduction-Bing-500x130.jpg

I don't buy it.

I use bing. I use it because I like the pictures on their page. By the way Google now allows you to change the background for their page too. Does that mean MS should sue them?

Anyway, I use bing for my searches all the time, but when I don't see the results I expect, I use Google and get very different (better) results.

Upvote 0
Eh, there's no grounds for a suit. Google's service is freely available, even to Microsoft.

Wrong.

You are not allowed to take their search results, and present them as your own. You can render results using their API, which is available, and leaves their revenue stream in place.

But you can not, take their raw results, and present them as your "New, improved, search engine" without licensing that content from Google.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
Wrong.

You are not allowed to take their search results, and present them as your own. You can render results using their API, which is available, and leaves their revenue stream in place.
But you can not, take their raw results, and present them as your "New, improved, search engine" without licensing that content from Google.

Bing Toolbar sent back browsing history (agreed to by the terms of the EULA).

It reported something like the following:

browse
browse
browse
google.com
google.com/search?q=honeypot
honeysite.com
browse
browse
browse

Bing sees this sequence of visits occur a couple different times with different users and notices that this honeypot term usually results in the user ending up at honeysite.com, so they associate honeypot with honeysite.com.

Bing isn't taking results from Google, they're following the browsing patterns.

I'm an attorney, and would not want to take this case.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
I fail to see why anyone is surprised by this! Micro$oft has gotten rich--and powerful--by copying other people's ideas. Remember DOS? Can you say cheap, crippled, single-user, single-tasking rip-off of UNIX? Or how about Windows? Ever heard of Mac? Or what about the innovative concept of tabbed browsing that M$ added to IE--about TEN YEARS after Mozilla/Netscape? Seriously, this is what M$ does.

Speaking of Bing, I don't use it (I never touch ANYTHING from M$), but a while back had to check it out; this blog post illustrates what I found, i.e., that Bing spits out "related searches" that are the OPPOSITE of what the user requested. Gotta love Micro$oft!

Upvote 0
Bing Toolbar sent back browsing history (agreed to by the terms of the EULA).

It reported something like the following:

browse
browse
browse
google.com
google.com/search?q=honeypot
honeysite.com
browse
browse
browse

Bing sees this sequence of visits occur a couple different times with different users and notices that this honeypot term usually results in the user ending up at honeysite.com, so they associate honeypot with honeysite.com.

Bing isn't taking results from Google, they're following the browsing patterns.

I'm an attorney, and would not want to take this case.

Intellectual Property Attorney?

Upvote 0
Bing's in the hosts file. MS does not know where I want to go today, and I ain't giving them the opportunity.

Are you happy to tell Google where you're going today? If not, I suggest you add Google, and their advertising subsidiary DoubleClick to your hosts file as well. To be perfectly honest, I'm sure Google tracks more internet users than Microsoft.

I found them trying install bing toolbar with some shareware. You had keep unchecking it.

I've also found Google trying the same, bundling their janky toolbars with shareware. Same with all the junk(Google toolbar, Google Desktop) which sometimes comes bundled on new PCs. Google is primarily an advertising company, thats how they make money. So they have a great interest in tracking individual internet usage. Probably much more so than Microsoft/Bing.

Myself, I tend to use both Bing and Yahoo!, simply because they're usable. Google search often fails completely here, especially with pictures.

Upvote 0
Must be limited in Mongolia for whatever reason.

Yes me living in Inner Mongolia, an autonomous region of China, has everything to do with it.

Over here in America,

But your profile says 'Vancouver, British Columbia'. I thought that was in Canada. Sorry if I'm been pedantic, but geography is a favourite subject of mine. ;)

if you want to find something, you Google it. They didn't get where they are today because of the pretty colors in their name. It's simply the best search engine you can find.

Where I am, when most people want to find something, they use Baidu. Which in this country is far bigger than Google, Bing and Yahoo combined, It's something like 80% Baidu for internet searches in China. I don't use Baidu myself, because I'm English.

I bet Bing will keep a significant share of search, simply because it's the default for IE in Windows. Non-techie PC users may simply not know there is anything else.

Upvote 0
But your profile says 'Vancouver, British Columbia'. I thought that was in Canada. Sorry if I'm been pedantic, but geography is a favourite subject of mine. ;)

I don't know where outlaw posts from, Canada or the U.S., but both are "America" geographically speaking, "North America" to be exact. ;)

The word "America" is taken to mean, "The Unites States," erroneously in terms of geography, and has been for a long time. But people who do that, call The United States, "America," are doing so out of tradition, not to be correct as to geography, so it's accepted.

It is "The United States of America." Nobody refers to Canada or Mexico, etc as "...of America," or "..of North America," but again, geographically they are.

But geography is one of your favorite subjects. :D

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones