this might be asking a bit much from my little droid...

Last Updated:

1. Wiggz

Wiggz Member This Topic's Starter

... but if I do a wifi tether, would I be able to play an online game with it using my ps3?:eek: You guys get good enough speed for that? If not I'm just gonna stick with pda net I really don't mind being connected via usb.

Advertisement
  2. dmobile5

dmobile5 Well-Known Member

No speeds won't be fast enough sorry :(

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

It might be fast enough. Depends very much on your 3G service wherever it is that you plan to use it. You would probably have much higher packet loss than a normal internet connection though.

Another thing to consider is whether your PS3 can connect to an ad hoc device for its internet.

Also, if you use it a lot it will use up a lot of data and draw attention to your account. Unless you are paying a monthly fee for tethering bandwidth, you are violating your contract and could be charged for the data if they notice.

4. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I had a hard time getting hulu with tether and full 3g on my notebook

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

This would be SOOO easy for VZW to see to. The packets or whatever that are sent via PSN would be unlike anything you could pull while using the Droid's data for it's intended purposes.

6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the latency... the speeds might even be bearable if you have 3G, but oh, the latency!

7. DjOutlaw32

DjOutlaw32 Well-Known Member

You can hook up droid to ps3, but only through tethering with laptop, and sharing a bridge connection between your laptop and ps3( google bridging ps3 to pc). I had to use that for about 2 nights since my cable internet went down and I had to get my Battlefield bad Company 2 fix : ) (that game is Sick!!) While playing I noticed when I was using wifi tether to my laptop that I kept getting booted from PSN, but once I wired tethered I was on continuously. I played for about 3-4 hrs and only used about 130mb (counting both received/sent packets together) in one night, with no lag or anything, just plain slick playing. Its a good back up.
    Would I replace my cable internet with this you ask? NO. Absolutely not, even though it is convenient, it does use quite a bit of bandwidth, I would not recommend it for anything more than a back up plan for a day or two with a few hours each day. Oh and I had about one to three bars those nights, my living room doesn't get the best reception but it do it.
    I used the easy tethering app found in the android market.

8. cggorman

cggorman Well-Known Member

My DSL is only 1.5 mbps. The 3g on my phone tests at 1.8 mbps. MW2 plays fine over my dsl, BTW...

9. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I would hate to play you online if you plan on using the droid to tether hahaha. :p

10. Wiggz

Wiggz Member This Topic's Starter

welllllp it sounds like my little droid could handle the speed without a problem. Although drawing attention to my account is NOT worth the trouble lol. Installing high speed internet in my dorm tomm thanks all!

11. DjOutlaw32

DjOutlaw32 Well-Known Member

Actually the other end results were fine, my friend was online and on my squad and I asked him he could hear me over the mic, he said yeah, sounds good, and while playing we usually run in squads and he watches my six, he never said I was lagging or anything so it pretty much held up. Anyways these new game servers have auto kick if your ping is too low, this is to prevent lag glitches. But hey its only for back up purposes.

12. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I have used it to play a few online games. Just on the laptop. But speeds seems to hold up really well No issues as of yet. But i would recomend you not do it. I finally got off after i saw that i had used over 600 mb. and that was just down. not up lol.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

13. Coogi

Coogi Well-Known Member

I use over 5GB's a month with my phone tethered, to my laptop and desktop, have no I-net at home, it costs to much for me. I also work at Verizon with my employee line so I get a cheaper plan, but never get any email or notifcation.

Seen other people with over 10GB's so I dont know. Just do what you will, not saying DO it, because they can catch you possibly, but never seen them go after someone.