• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root This might sound stupid but how do you flash a rom

Question... I read all kinds of posts. I finally rooted using Unrevoked. Now why wouldn't I only use "ROM Manger" to do things like Flash a ROM, wipe, or do backups?
The ROM Manger app seems like the easiest way to do all these things.
What I'd really like is a good set of instructions on Rom manager, or a good video. The ones I have watched seem to be taught by geeks with severe ADD on speed.
Is ROM Manger the way to go from this point forward? Any down side or limitations?

Upvote 0
Question... I read all kinds of posts. I finally rooted using Unrevoked. Now why wouldn't I only use "ROM Manger" to do things like Flash a ROM, wipe, or do backups?
The ROM Manger app seems like the easiest way to do all these things.
What I'd really like is a good set of instructions on Rom manager, or a good video. The ones I have watched seem to be taught by geeks with severe ADD on speed.
Is ROM Manger the way to go from this point forward? Any down side or limitations?

I personally don't use ROM manager. I prefer Amons RA recovery and it is not compatible with RM. There are also reports that clockwork doesn't wipe dalvik cache propery so this may cause you some issues.

Upvote 0
Put the ROM on the root of your SD card.

Boot into recovery

Create a nandroid backup (in case you need to go back for anything)

Go to flash zip from SD card > choose .zip

Find what you want to flash

Follow instructions
aFTER I FLASH THE ZIP, WILL IT GIVE ME INSTRUCTIONS TO WIPE OR DO I NEED TO DO THAT BEFORE FLASHING THE ROM. IF SO, WHAT DO I WIPE? DATA?DALVIK? CACHES?

Upvote 0
aFTER I FLASH THE ZIP, WILL IT GIVE ME INSTRUCTIONS TO WIPE OR DO I NEED TO DO THAT BEFORE FLASHING THE ROM. IF SO, WHAT DO I WIPE? DATA?DALVIK? CACHES?

Now now, no need to shout :)

Do it BEFORE even attempting to flash that zip file. And wipe out EVERYTHING. Cache partition, dalvik cache - do those each at least once, some people prefer to do it twice. Then wipe data to restore to factory settings.

Blank phone.

Then and only then should you go flash that zip file.

Click This for my favorite guide to rooting and flashing ROMs and kernels.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones