This phone belongs to....

Last Updated:

1. mag1knj2010

mag1knj2010 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all-

This might seem like a dumb question but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change that meesage at startup. (this phone belongs to...)
    Does anyone have any clue how to do this? please :)

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I use the free market app "contact owner" that puts a "If found please contact..." on my lock screen. It has always worked great. Just run it and configure the contact info and text before/after message. Make sure to exclude it from any memory managers.

3. mag1knj2010

mag1knj2010 New Member This Topic's Starter

Ill answer my own question did some browsing and found the answer to this question.
    this phone belongs to.... Is a message made by a third party program called antivirus free
    To change it touch antivirus
    then menu then settings then remote management then lost message.
    here you can change this phone belongs to your name.
    This message is not removable. The only way to get rid of it is to delete the app. (not recommended) to many creeps out there trying to mess things up! lol
    Hope this helps other people!

4. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

Why would you need an antivirus app on a linux based phone? Seriously?

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I was about to ask the same thing. Even if you get a virus you can just wipe your phone and load a backup from before the virus

6. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

And he recommends not removing the app haha. It is just a waste of precious space.

7. shrink57

I am sure with the popularity of the Android operating system (and the nature of banking and other sensitive stuff people are using on their phones) we will see a need for anti-virus and similar "security suites" but as of now that time has not come. I did play with some of the anti-virus stuff available and found them intrusive, inaccurate, and for me, a waste of system resources and my energy.

lookinin likes this.
  8. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

I tried using contact owner, and it told me that it may crash my phone, so never mind

9. shrink57

The warning is for HTC Android. I have been running it on my Droid since day 1 and it never crashed.

10. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

Shrink57, I tried Contact Owner, but found that the contact information completely obliterated the clock in dock mode. Have you noticed the same thing, and is there a way to have the contact information show in the lock screen, but not in dock mode?

11. shrink57

Now I feel so inadequate. I don't have a dock (dock challenged?) :( Gonna have to hit eBay to keep up with everyone here :cool: You are right. That is a serious flaw if it doesn't step out of the way when docked (just looked if there are any setting for that and didn't see any). Might give the developer an email.

12. GirLuvsDroid

I just got an EZStand (for $12.95 or something like that). It looks great, is lightweight so you can take it anywhere, but is still sturdy, and the magnet works just like the other media docks.

Thanks for checking that -- I couldn't find any setting for it, either. I think I might just shoot the dev an e-mail -- good idea!

13. shrink57

My fear is that if I buy a dock I will have it at my bedside and be messing with my phone all night long (I have a hard enough time to forcing myself out of my computer room which is also a small music studio as it is).

14. peterdeg

peterdeg New Member

Because our corporate security policy prohibits any mobile device connecting to our wireless network unless anti-virus software is installed and running.

15. GirLuvsDroid

It works just fine. The contact info displays above the unlock sliders.

16. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

We just don't allow any mobile phones on the corp wifi period. We have a customer wifi that they can connect to. The only thing allowed on the corp wifi is corp owned laptops.

17. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

In Froyo you can set owner info in the lock screen settings

18. GirLuvsDroid

Where, flea? I looked in the lock screen settings and can't find it -- it's probably something dumb I'm missing.

19. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member

I see Settings > Location & Security > Screen Unlock (Show custom message). Of course, that may be added in CM6-RC1...

20. GirLuvsDroid

It must be the ROM, because in BB V0.4, I have Settings>Location & security>Change screen lock, and there's no option for a custom message (only for None, Pattern, PIN and Password).

21. tfleming23

tfleming23 Well-Known Member

That option is not in Kangerade either

22. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Its in CM6RC1 only.

I've installed BB, Kang, SS, and finally CM in recent weeks and only CM has it.

23. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Yup, only CM.

BTW - anyone know if Contact Owner works with a pattern unlock?

24. GirLuvsDroid

I've been using Contact Owner with PIN unlock and it works fine with that. But since you asked, I tested it and yes, it shows the contact info above the pattern dots. I didn't realize until now that with the pattern, you don't need to engage the unlock sliders -- but with the PIN, you have to first use the unlock slider to get to the PIN screen. Wonder why Android set it up that way? It would have made more sense (at least to me) to treat the pattern and PIN screens the same way.

UPDATE: Just tested the password and it's treated exactly the same way as the PIN: you have to use the unlock slider to get to the password screen. In any event, I can confirm that Contact Owner works with all of these methods on Froyo.

johnlgalt likes this.