This seems like a silly question to ask, but...

Last Updated:

1. slophil3

slophil3 Member This Topic's Starter

I have setCPU and OneClickLagFix stuff set up, would I have to revert changes and/or get rid of these applications if updating to Froyo? If that's the case, would I have to buy SetCPU again?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to make sure everything is done correctly so as not to brick my device. Thanks in advance for any responses!

Advertisement
  2. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

First, welcome!

It is unknown what environment Froyo will expect to find prior to successfully updating the phones. Any apps purchased but deleted (uninstalled) will need to be re-downloaded and should not require additional payment...assuming your Google account setup remains static.

Be careful with SetCPU. Settings that are too aggressive have been known to cause problems.

slophil3 likes this.
  3. slophil3

slophil3 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the welcome!

And thank you for the information, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. About setCPU though, what profile settings would you say is sufficient for mid-to-high web browsing, graphing calculator use, etc? I'm not interested in games but may watch movies on it later on. Currently I use:

Main - 1000 max, 400 min(performance)
    Charging/Full - 1000 max, 400 min(performance)
    Screen off - 800 max, 400 min(ondemand)
    Battery < 25% - 800 max, 200 min(ondemand)
    Temp > 50 C - 400 max, 200 min(ondemand)

4. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

I don't use SetCPU, so I recommend that you read a cross-section of replies via Google with the obvious keywords "setcpu recommended settings," plus this thread from our own forum:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/133998-what-your-setcpu-settings-captivate.html

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I would put money on you definitely needing to undo OCLF before updating. The dirty things it does to the filesystem will not survive an OS update.

In fact, if you're worried about bricking, lagfixes (laghacks) are not for you. Particularly the method used in OCLF, which adds a vulnerable ext2 (17yo technology) filesystem on top of a virtualization layer (translate: house of cards). This creates a much more-complicated environment more-vulnerable to something going horribly wrong.

"easy to install" doesn't mean "safe".