• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This will be my next phone/phablet

I was looking at SamMobile's list of Note 3 features and it completely surpassed my expectations. I don't think I'll be using the 4K video recording features though. I'm not looking to upgrade TV's anytime soon and somehow I have the feeling 4K is going to end up like 3D, just a fad you know? As soon as t-mobile gets this I'm going to try to make the JUMP.

Upvote 0
I'm coming from an S2 aswell like the OP, can't wait, so glad the release is close to the announcement.
The S4 was a straight up disappointment and although I'd prefer not to have a huge phone, it's got everything else right, including snapdragon 800, a new, bigger camera that does 1080p @ 60fps- about freaking time. I guess I'll fool around with 4k aswell.

The battery could have been bigger but I'll get a 2nd anyway, it has 600 more mAh over the S4 and only .7 of an inch more screen panel, so I don't think it'll be a problem.
Looking forward to using the stylus and that fab-sounding search function, so I can find a music track easily without travelling through folders- I prefer not to use the built in music app of the phones I've had, but it has become a bit of a chore over time.

My S2 has actually been broken since December and my old phone I went back to (LG Renoir) has a stylus, although it's more of a 'flavor adding' feature and didn't need one, ah the early days (stylus for a 2.8 inch screen...lol).
I told LG to make a new Renoir to rival the note/5 inch phones (and bring the artsy vibe back with it) but as you can see nothing happened.

Upvote 0
I was looking at SamMobile's list of Note 3 features and it completely surpassed my expectations. I don't think I'll be using the 4K video recording features though. I'm not looking to upgrade TV's anytime soon and somehow I have the feeling 4K is going to end up like 3D, just a fad you know? As soon as t-mobile gets this I'm going to try to make the JUMP.

I think 4K has more potential than 3D. Not everyone likes 3D, but 4K can be marketed as "Ultra HD", which I don't think there's anybody that wouldn't want to at least "feel" like they have a crazy clear picture. That said, it's not likely something that's going to catch on until the pricing of the TV units is more affordable, so the 4K video recording in phones is a "forward thinking" concept that might not necessarily work in the short term, but has better long term potential than 3D (IMO).

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm thinking of jumping ship to the Note 3...I have the S4...prolly gonna let it go for that or the LG G2(which has also grabbed my attention)...really liking that leather back tho....how do leather backs hold up tho...I know that blackberry phone had a leather back before and it looked cracked and like all dull..after a lot of use I guess...anyone know?....I haven't really seen to many leather backs like that...but with all that it still looks goood...

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm thinking of jumping ship to the Note 3...I have the S4...prolly gonna let it go for that or the LG G2(which has also grabbed my attention)...really liking that leather back tho....how do leather backs hold up tho...I know that blackberry phone had a leather back before and it looked cracked and like all dull..after a lot of use I guess...anyone know?....I haven't really seen to many leather backs like that...but with all that it still looks goood...

From all the videos, my understanding is it's more pleather (plastic leather), than leather. That said, who knows how long the OEM condition will really keep until after we've all had the phone for over 1 year.

I already have plans to pick up one of those designer hard back covers to replace the OEM cover.

Upvote 0
I just wish they'd release the price point of the Note 3. We know everything else now, the release date is 20 days away and we still don't know the price point (both MSRP and with a contract). Is that too much to ask? lol.

So far, I'm guessing the following is for 32GB versions:

T-Mobile: $703 ($199 down + $21/mo. x 24)

T-Mobile Announces Pricing, Availability For Galaxy Note 3 And Galaxy Gear | TmoNewsTmoNews

AT&T: $725 ($299 down on-contract)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 now available for pre-order on AT&T, expected to ship 'around' October 1st for $299.99

VZW: $699 ($299 down on-contract)

Leaked Verizon doc prices Galaxy Note 3 at $699 retail, $299 with contract, $599 if you bundle the watch

Upvote 0
Hmmm.

$100 for an extra 32GB? That's a pretty steep price for storage. Consider this:

Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 64GB Pro microSDXC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MGCGB/AM): Computers & Accessories

There's 64GB of extra storage, Class 10, Professional grade, for less than $1/GB shipped. And it will be just about as real-time fast as built-in storage... with the added benefit of removability.

Go ahead and buy the 64GB version if you want to, but a 32GB phone with the above 64GB card will do just fine for me :)

Upvote 0
Now watch Sprint kill the competition by doing
$249.99 2 yr contract 32GB and
$349.99 2 yr contract 64GB

:D

Realistically, if Sprint does get the 64, I'm thinking it'd be 299 for 32 and 399 for 64. I'm hoping for 349 on the 64.

No matter what, I stopped by best buy to confirm their new trade in policy and I will be getting the trade in plus on top of my trade in value, as well as phone freedom upgrade.

No matter what, upgrading to the Note 3 should be no money out of pocket for me unless I decide to buy off contract.

Upvote 0
Hmmm.

$100 for an extra 32GB? That's a pretty steep price for storage. Consider this:

Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 64GB Pro microSDXC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MGCGB/AM): Computers & Accessories

There's 64GB of extra storage, Class 10, Professional grade, for less than $1/GB shipped. And it will be just about as real-time fast as built-in storage... with the added benefit of removability.

Go ahead and buy the 64GB version if you want to, but a 32GB phone with the above 64GB card will do just fine for me :)
I agree, 80 plus GB should just about do it. I know I'll have all my ripped Music on board anyway. And plenty of room for any ripped DVD's I might want to watch. I like having the Music always available but the DVDs can be changed out at anytime. There's hasn't been a movie released yet that I'd want to watch Over and Over again everyday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones