Thought about sizeGeneral

1. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

Had a thought this morning. Most, if not all, the world uses metric except us here in the US. Yet, screen sizes are all in inches. The rest of the dimensions are mm. Am I only seeing the picture from the point of view from here in the US? Do those of you in Europe, the UK and other places, talk about the screen in inches?

Advertisement
  2. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Well-Known Member

Interesting question, how are TV screens advertised around the world? There is something to be said for round numbers.

50" = 127 cm, or 1.27 m (I think measuring a TV in meters would be cool).

4.8" = 12.2cm (12.192)
  3. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Here in the UK we are a strange mix of metric and imperial measurements.

We still talk about screen dimensions in inches (TVs, phones, etc), we travel in miles and drink beer in pints.

However, in industry we tend to sell items (chemicals for instance) in Kg or litres for instance.

Rules for shopping were changed to metric a few years back so now we are supposed to order meat for instance in g or Kg.

I guess most people would also state their weight in St and lbs...

We are mixed up here!
  4. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Well-Known Member

Perhaps mixed up, but a fun place anyway. I've traveled to London (and some surrounding areas) a few times. The first time I was surprised that it's still MPH on the roads, the weight in stones always does throw me but being able to say I'm only 11 stone makes me feel slim!

5. desarenezitic

desarenezitic Well-Known Member

I like how we supposedly changed to metric but still sell milk in pints disguised as a 2.276 ltr carton (or whatever the conversion is) :D
  6. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

Good points about round numbers.

Interesting. I did not realize the UK still used imperial measurements. Thanks.

So, for technology, like phones, it's inches then.
  7. Tinmania

Tinmania Member

4.8 is a round number? :rolleyes:

Mike
  8. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Yeah, tech comes in inches, we were taught both at school (and ended up totally confused as a result). The grandparents of kids at school at the moment were taught only imperial so I guess when they're gone we'll change totally. Europe keeps telling us to, but we really can't seem to give up our pints and our miles.
    Incidentally to show just how confusing it can be, we drive miles but buy our fuel in litres. Try working out fuel efficiency in that situation!
  9. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

Being able to state on an application that I'm 4' 21" tall has some fun results too.

So the Nexus 4 has a 119mm display.
  10. batmandroid

batmandroid Well-Known Member

in canada it's a mix also. we talk about yards in golf, its inches for tv screens, its pounds for weight of people.

it's km/hr for driving.

the main thing for me, is that everything where you need to do math it's metric, which makes sense.

like, i don't wanna have to hassle with 12 inches in a foot, and crap like that, it's too odd. metric is much easier. also temperature is in Celsius here.

it's like aside from kilometers, i personally have a better idea about real world sizes of inches and pounds, centimeters and meters also, but they are kind of too small and too large sometimes, inches and feet, are nice sizes to visualize.

but if i have to measure something, i'll use metric, ballpark, imperial.
    alfick3 likes this.