Thoughts on kernels

Last Updated:

1. Eckyx

Eckyx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Have been testing kernels the past few days, have a few thoughts:

I've tried the Slayher v1.6 kernel, ChevyNo1's ULV, jdflg's, and p3droid's, all 1200mhz.

With all kernels set to "on demand", I can't say for sure if any one gives more battery life than any other, my usage is too variable. P3Droid's are 125mhz base clock, while the others are 250 or 300mhz, but there wasn't an obvious difference with my use. I'm guessing at low clocks, processor drain is negligible unless you're going to be in a semi-sleep state for a long time.

All kernels bench about the same, and P3Droid's don't feel any slower even with the lower base clock, which suggests to me that most kernel makers should consider including a sub-200mhz option.

Kernels with "interactive governor" subjectively feel slightly faster when using interactive governor, but battery life is definitely a little shorter.

All kernels seem equally stable.

All kernels seem to run about the same temperature, with maybe a very slight edge to Chevy's ULV kernel (~2c loaded).

Temperature monitoring is not very accurate. I turned on my phone earlier in class, to see a 13c CPU temp. That's about 8-10c below ambient. This is consistent on all kernels I have tried.

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

greta info.. BUT kernels are so phone dependent which has been shown time and time again by posters here and on other sites. I have had different experiences than you post. So, the info is anecdotal to your phone, but may no carry over to the next user.

1 example, NO 1.2 would run on my phone except jdflg's. I tried them all and even voltage options. Nothing of P3's was ever stable for me in any speed I tried - heat and then boot loops on all kernels I tried.

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

delete - double post

thanks server :/