• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thoughts on my M8 to M9 upgrade

gamblor01

Jun 10, 2010
Austin, TX
UPDATE:

This review has changed a bit since I first posted. The main change is that I have moved the M9 camera from the list of cons to pros after receiving update 1.32.531.33 on my phone. Whatever HTC did it's like magic. I'm a much bigger fan of the upgrade now, as all of my complaints with moving from the M8 to M9 are negligible now. Anyway, here is my review...

I debated quite a bit before the M9 launch whether or not I would upgrade. I loved my M7 and I loved my M8, so I figured I would love my M9. Quite honestly, the M9 is extremely similar to the M8. It's iterative, with some changes for the better and others perhaps not. However, with the camera performance significantly improved I can now proudly state that it is great phone. They upped the build quality this time with metal wrapping around to the front and covering the speakers. As with with M7 and M8, it's a premium smartphone and it looks and feels like one.

In case there are other folks out there debating on making the switch, I thought I would post my opinions on the change. These opinions are of course my own, and may not apply to everyone and are not meant to inspire holy wars as to which phone/manufacturer/etc. is better. Hopefully it is helpful to some extent anyway, and I'll try to update it as I discover more information.

To be fair -- while I was previously somewhat critical of the M9 in this post (mostly because of the camera which has since been fixed), I still recommend either the M8 or the M9 as *THE* phone to buy to all of my friends. HTC makes some really great stuff, their Uh Oh Protection is downright awesome, they seem to listen to their customers, and they are honest and responsive about software updates. Did my M8 get Lollipop before 90 days? No -- but it's not entirely HTC's fault and they also came really, really close to delivering on time (for T-Mobile anyway).

So without further ado...

What's better?

• Several more LTE bands are supported, at least for the T-Mobile version. This was one of the main reasons, if not *THE* reason, I wanted to move from the M8 to the M9. The T-Mobile variant of the M8 supports only 2 LTE bands, and the 1900MHz frequency (band 2) is *NOT* one of them. T-Mobile has been using 1900MHz, particularly in rural areas, to build out their network. Oddly enough, the AT&T M8 supports MANY more LTE bands, as do the unlocked and developer editions (but you don't get wifi calling like the T-Mobile version does). I'm not sure why T-Mobile didn't push to have their M8 include support for *ALL* of the frequencies they use to broadcast LTE, especially when other versions of the same phone clearly support them. In any case, someone seemed to get the hint for the M9 and it now supports the following LTE bands according to their website: "LTE: 2, 3, 4, 7, 12, 17". Hopefully now when we travel and take road trips, my service will be more on par with my wife's AT&T service. I can update this post with real-world results as I visit family across the country in the coming months. Right now it's still a (promising) pipe dream that my service will be vastly improved. In major metropolitan areas, such as my hometown of Austin, Texas, T-Mobile of course offers wonderful service.

• The camera! I originally listed this as a con of the upgrade but after receiving update 1.32.531.33 the M9 is a clear winner here. While I never thought the M8's camera was stellar, it *was* considerably better than the M9. I took the same photos with both cameras and the M9's clarity was atrocious. Then I updated my M9 and WOW what a huge difference. I didn't take very many pictures with my M9 before getting the update, but here is one example. We are building a playhouse/home office in my backyard and I finished laying the floors and sent a picture to my wife. This is a shot of the floors before getting the camera update. You're free to inspect the metadata of these shots, but the flash is ON in this picture:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3tzctchx0wx7fn/m9-before-flash.jpg?dl=0&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEB3V4eYAO8phsw4GMJ15NkH1k7rg

Here is the same picture after receiving the update, also with the flash ON:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bikbafa2wnlr8s/m9-after-flash.jpg?dl=0&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGZ_MkP5pV7zJp7f_TsKwYO2yB5RA

It's just night and day difference. Examine the floor and the A/C unit. They are a blur in the original picture and now they are MUCH sharper -- particularly the floor. For grins I forced the flash OFF and took another shot. Even this is stellar compared to what it was before the update:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.dropbox.com/s/miibiog1tp4hj7q/m9-after-no-flash.jpg?dl=0&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFyh7anfIjka-Biinr6Q--X9ynJ0Q

I'm a bit irked that HTC let the phone ship with such poor camera performance, but at least they fixed it quickly. And what an amazing difference. This post below does an excellent job of demonstrating shots before and after the update. I know many people criticized it saying that the lens was clearly smudged in the first set of shots but I can attest that my camera now performs significantly better than before. Smudged or not, the vast improvement is real.

http://phandroid.com/2015/04/09/htc-one-m9-camera-update-comparison/

• The flashlight is finally usable in quick settings! I repeat, the flashlight can finally be toggled on and off in quick settings! Yay! I did notice a somewhat odd bug in that I can two-finger swipe with the phone locked and turn ON the flashlight without needing to draw my lock screen pattern. Ready to turn the flashlight OFF now? Oddly enough if you tap the notification on the lock screen then you have to enter your lock screen password to do so. However, if you pull down the quick settings with another two-finger swipe then you can turn the flashlight off without needing to enter your password. Seems like a slight bug that will hopefully be fixed in a future software update.

• A new processor and 3GB of RAM (instead of 2GB) further "future proofs" the phone. This is always a given bonus of each upgrade, but it's always a welcome one. So far the M9 feels very fluid and responsive. I did some side by side tests prior to selling my M8 and for the most part, they were identical. I did notice some smoother animations for example in the gmail app (when you exit out of a message and it rotates the back arrow and changes into the menu icon). Overall however, they are both solid and roughly identical.

• Gestures like double tap to wake, swipe up to unlock, etc. can now be *individually* enabled or disabled. On the M8, you either got all of the gestures, or you got none. I really liked the double-tap to wake the screen gesture (especially since the phone is so tall and the power button is hard to reach) but I kept accidentally triggering so many of the other gestures that I had to disable them all. With the M9 I can enable the double-tap, and disable all of the rest. THANK YOU HTC!

What's worse?
  • A minor bug, but the auto-brightness control doesn't seem to be as responsive as the M8. I have often seen the screen stay dim when I move into brighter areas and it's difficult to read. I sometimes have to turn the phone around and point it directly at the light source, or just keep waiting. It seems to eventually notice the brighter ambient light and increase the brightness on the screen, but it's not nearly as quick to change as the M8 does. Seems like a software update is required to improve upon this.

• This more of a minor annoyance than any performance issue, but the power button is just below the volume buttons, and it's easy to mistake volume down for power and vice versa. I would have preferred the power button stay on the top of the phone, or they could have at least separated the power button and put it on the other side of the phone, away from the volume buttons. Having them all right next to each other is confusing. Luckily, since I can enable double-tap to wake my phone, I mostly use that to wake up the phone and avoid the power button entirely (except to turn off the display). However, I do seem to be getting more and more accustomed to the buttons the more I use the phone.

• They took away the flashlight app, with the 3 different brightness levels. As I said above, I love that you can now interact with the flashlight via quick settings, but come on HTC, don't take away the app you had. It was REALLY GOOD. Please bring it back. I would love to have the flashlight in quick settings, but then long tap on it to enter in the full app with 3 different intensity levels. That would be heaven. Note that I tried pulling the apk from my M8 and installing it on the M9 but it just crashes. Seems like the frameworks aren't compatible. :(

• The stocks app is gone. Call me crazy, but I actually used it. It was an easy way to see positive/negative changes in stocks, and didn't use much battery life (especially because I didn't have it sync ever -- just update when opened). I know lots of people think it's bloatware, but I liked it. It seems like all of the apps for tracking stocks in the play store are the bloatware -- they come with advertisements, news updates, and more. I just want to know if the stocks I'm tracking went up or down, and by how much. It's an easy way to track when to sell and when to hold. The HTC stocks app fit the bill perfectly. I wish HTC would continue to include it. Heck they could even load it on the /data partition so that those who don't want it could simply uninstall it (rather than putting it on the /system partition which isn't writable without root). Like the flashlight app, I tried pulling the apk from my M8 and installing on the M9 but it just crashes. Dang.

Other thoughts
  • Just like the M8, the phone is still too tall. I would like to see the black bar below the display with the HTC logo completely removed. If they did this, the phone would be almost the exact same dimensions as the M7, which in my opinion was the *PERFECT* sized phone. Then the power button could be moved to the top again -- yay! I'm of course completely ignorant of the technical limitations of the phone's design, but the new MotoX is very similar to the M7's size and it's wonderful to hold. The Nexus 6 was even able to pack stereo speakers without requiring some giant waste of real estate below the display. I'm confident that HTC can come up with an innovative solution to solve whatever technical problem that black bar is currently solving.

• Despite having a larger battery than the M8, I don't feel like battery life improved much if at all, though the good news is that it didn't seem to get any worse. I know this isn't entirely HTC's fault as battery technologies just haven't kept up with the pace of advancements in hardware design, but it's always nice to get a marginal bump in battery life. The M9 doesn't really seem to offer anything over the M8. Too bad there is no parallel to Moore's law for battery technology.

• The phone can get a bit warm when the CPU is pushed, though it's certainly not going to burn your hand or anything. It might get marginally hotter than the M8 (I have zero scientific evidence one way or the other), but any reports of it burning things or being too hot to handle are just nonsense. The phone's temperature is well within normal and acceptable limits folks. Don't believe everything you read out there...except for this post of course! :D

• I'm not a huge fan of all of the white added in Sense 7. This includes things like the phone dialer and the keyboard. I really liked the subdued charcoal grey color the M8 had with Sense 6. You might wonder why this even matters -- the main reason is that at night when everything is dark, our pupils of course dilate to let in more light. Late at night when everyone else is asleep I would get a text and then go to respond. I open the keyboard and BAM! The white color can be pretty intensely bright, even with the screen brightness turned all the way down. I have a very dark wallpaper for the very same reason. The grey on the M8 just isn't so piercing. It would be wonderful to select which color we prefer, just like the Messaging app which can be customized.

• This is both a pro and a con, but the edges of the M9 have some sharper corners instead of the smooth, rounded edges of the M8. It's a pro because it provides additional grip so that the phone doesn't just slide out of your hand, but it isn't quite as pleasant to hold as the M8 with those little corners digging into your hand (no it's not actually painful). I don't personally care as I used a case on both phones, but just something I noticed for those of you who might want to go without a case.

• Speaking of cases, I have tried a few now. I first went with the Spigen Neo hybdrid case with metallized buttons. I'm not a fan. It's adds a considerable amount of bulk and I thought it was a bit slippery in my hand. I also didn't like the 2-layer design. At that point I ordered a Diztronic TPU case (what I used on my M8) and HTC's clear shield. They are both fine cases, but I ultimately decided to stick with HTC's clear shield. It's grippy when you hold it yet slides in and out of pockets with ease, adds *VERY* minimal bulk, covers up the sharp edges of the phone, and shows off the beauty of the phone. I'm not sure how shock absorbent the case is -- it seems like the Diztronic TPU case would be better in that respect as it's flexible material while the clear case is fairly rigid -- but I decided to roll with the HTC case anyway. I really like it. It even fits in my arm band for running without even needing to remove the case. Score! Very well done HTC. Here is the link:

http://www.htc.com/us/accessories/?intcid=nav_us#!pid=htc-one-m9&acc=htc-clear-shield-m9

Last edited:
Thanks EarlyMon. Unfortunately it launches, and while SOS and Auto functions work, it crashes as soon as I try to toggle between brightness. It also leaves the flashlight on when it crashes. Took me a few tries and then I figured out I can tap auto to activate it, then again to deactivate. It's off now.

Bummer, but thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Thanks for the in hand comparison. I can now feel very comfortable laying in wait for sense 7 to be sent to my very competent m8. looking ahead to what HTC offers up next time. I still don't understand the haters of the m8 camera system as a whole though. I personally love it.
Just FYI -- I made an update to the post and will further update it later. The camera update is legit. What a huge difference.

Upvote 0
Ok I updated the original post and changed the camera from con to pro. I also posted some examples of pictures before and after the update. It's pretty incredible that after the update, it took better pictures with the flash off than it could before the update with the flash on. Really significant improvement from the software update -- I simply cannot stress that enough.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Gamblor1: You mentioned you had (have) a M7 .... I currently have the M7 and am considering the upgrade to the M9

1st off - I really have liked my M7, got it on the day they were released and my only real complaints are the $hit camera (except for pictures in perfect day light close to the subject matter), intermittent slow operation (especially in 3G service) and Sprint's spotty 4G here in Arizona (maybe the newer M9 has a better antenna or whatever?)

Anyway - it's time for my plan to allow an upgrade - thoughts about making a change from M7 to M9 ....
Anyone have/found any Pro's or Con's?
Big differences?

If I do make the upgrade I need to find options to sell my M7, BestBuy didn't seem to have a very strong $ trade in offer (even though I have the protection plan with them).

I know the M9 just hit stores here, but am also hearing it's sales have not been strong ... so maybe some better pricing or promo's are right around the corner???? anyone hear anything out there???

Thanks for your thoughts!
TimmaY

Upvote 0
upgrading from a M7-->M9 will be a big change. I have had all three (M7, M8, M9) and have found that while I still miss the capacitive buttons on the M7 (and still wish they would bring them back) the device is a solid upgrade from the M8 that I have. thinking back to the days of the M7, you will notice a really big performance bump and the addition of cool features like Quickcharge 2.0 & the updated camera which provides the 20MP shooter on the back and the UP4 camera on the front.

Software updates have taken care of the major camera issues people were complaining about. I think you would be happy with the upgrade, but the question has to be- What are you going to use it for?

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
upgrading from a M7-->M9 will be a big change. I have had all three (M7, M8, M9) and have found that while I still miss the capacitive buttons on the M7 (and still wish they would bring them back) the device is a solid upgrade from the M8 that I have. thinking back to the days of the M7, you will notice a really big performance bump and the addition of cool features like Quickcharge 2.0 & the updated camera which provides the 20MP shooter on the back and the UP4 camera on the front.
+1 On all accounts.
No reason to not upgrade,especially if you're paying the same $ amount on your monthly bill & due an upgrade.

As for trade-in value,I checked both BestBuy & this site which I've used myself:
http://www.technollo.com/sell/htc-one-m7-sprint

Not a lot,but,it's 3x more than what BestBuy is offering.
Look around the web for discount codes for increased trade-in allowance.
At times,they have 'em for 1st time users & holiday specials/etc.......

Upvote 0
Ditto from me. The M7 was a great phone and so was the M8. With the latest camera update I can comfortably say the M9 takes considerably better photos than either of the previous generations. It's also going to take much better selfies...if you care.

You're certainly going to notice a performance bump. Apps will launch faster and should generally be more responsive. I'm guessing that after 2 years your lithium ion battery in that M7 is starting to show its age, so expect a fairly sizable increase in battery life as well. It's a bigger battery, and it will be new with zero charge cycles on it, so it should last you much longer. Assuming I get the better LTE coverage that I anticipate, I'm comfortable saying I'd do the M8 to M9 upgrade all over again.

I doubt you will be able to sell your phone for a whole lot. Two year old phones I have found generally only sell for about $50-$100 except sadly, iPhones. They seem to hold their value better even though I think they are worthless to begin with. I sold my M8 the other day for $175 if that helps put things in perspective. Maybe I could have gotten more? I don't know.

You might also see what T-Mobile will give you for it. It's funny you mention spotty service and Sprint in the same sentence. Oh wait no it's not. That's exactly why I ditched them! I was with Sprint for 13 years and initially when phones were only used for calls and I had like 200 minutes/month, their service was fine. Over time I started noticing that my friends got service in places I didn't. Then eventually my texts would fail to be sent or received, and I watched as everyone else got blazingly fast LTE and I was often still on 3G. Even when my phone displayed LTE, I would get incredibly slow speeds (0.33 Mbps) or worse, get no data connection at all. I got tired of no service or roaming in the heart of downtown Austin. I got tired of the empty promises about network upgrades and finally got tired of being their champion, so I switched to T-Mobile as they still offered an unlimited data plan. Lucky for me I'm grandfathered into the old price too. ;)

I really strongly encourage you to ditch Sprint. I make that same recommendation to everyone. I have taken my T-Mobile service across the country now and been way happier with it. Nowhere has it been worse than Sprint (except the pool hall I play in every week but oh well -- it's like a lead box or something), and there are SOOOOO many places where it has been vastly better service.

If you're looking for a less biased coverage map, check out the coverage map from RootMetrics (http://webcoveragemap.rootmetrics.com/us) and look up their reviews of your city. Their coverage map is a combination of the testing they perform as well as crowd-sourced results. Thus it's built by people just like you and me running tests, and not some wireless carrier's marketing department spinning one particular aspect on some test they ran.

In conclusion, ditch Sprint and get the M9. You will be happy.

P.S. If you do ditch switch to T-Mobile feel free to PM me and let me know. I'd love to get a $25 referral credit. :)

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
^Appreciate the replys!
Like most everyone out there - my phone is used for just about everything (when I'm not in front of a computer) Time waster, entertainment, score checker, social media (facebook). I do a lot of Car events and the camera is actually a pretty big deal - it gets used a lot, thus a major concern for me.
I use the front speakers a bunch too - Pandora, video and stored music ... is the M9 better?
When coverage is good, the M7 performance is solid - so a performance bump be a nice bonus.
I'm hopefully the M9 antenna has better LTE reception
Didn't Sprint buy out T-Mobil a while back? Not sure if it has been made "official" yet but I know I was wanting that to get done for the added tower count and capacity. Anyway, we are on Sprint because they offer a pretty solid corp discount program - can't beat the price or unlimited use. Haven't really had any text or call issues here in northwest Phoenix - for me issues have been data driven, slow 3G and non-full 4G coverage ... although that is getting better SLOWLY (7 houses down I get 4G, but not at my house Arrgh!)
I'd be happy with a hundred bucks trade or sale ...
Thanks again :)

Upvote 0
^Appreciate the replys!
Like most everyone out there - my phone is used for just about everything (when I'm not in front of a computer) Time waster, entertainment, score checker, social media (facebook). I do a lot of Car events and the camera is actually a pretty big deal - it gets used a lot, thus a major concern for me.
I use the front speakers a bunch too - Pandora, video and stored music ... is the M9 better?
When coverage is good, the M7 performance is solid - so a performance bump be a nice bonus.
I'm hopefully the M9 antenna has better LTE reception
Didn't Sprint buy out T-Mobil a while back? Haven't really had any text or call issues here in northwest Phoenix - for me issues have been data driven, slow 3G and non-full 4G coverage ... although that is getting better SLOWLY (7 houses down I get 4G, but not at my house Arrgh!)
I'd be happy with a hundred bucks trade or sale ...
Thanks again :)

YMMV,but,T-Mo is worth a look for an alternative unlimited experience,especially if you get a deal for switching over:
http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switch-carriers-no-early-termination-fee.html
If your coverage is weak,JMHO,the discount isn't worth the few $'s you may/may not save vs a competitively priced plan w/T-MO.
Again,YMMV,perhaps someone you know has T-Mobile & you can see how well you're covered at home,or,elsewhere.
As for sell/trade on the M7,SWAPPA might be your best bet,if you're willing to wait for an offer:

http://swappa.com/buy/htc-one-sprint/us

Note the graph for recent pricing.You might get exactly what you'd stated you'd be happy with ($100-ish). :cashdroid: :thumbsupdroid:

Reactions: MysticalRide
Upvote 0
I have always thought the speakers were good on all of these phones. Whether the M8 or M9 are better I don't really know. They honestly all sound great to me, and especially compared to my wife's iPhone.

Sprint didn't wind up buying T-Mobile...that whole ordeal was over with in August of last year. Where have you been? :p

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/dea...-softbank-said-to-abandon-bid-for-t-mobile-us

But they did have to give them a guaranteed $1 billion, which they no doubt put into building an even better network than Sprint. I wouldn't mind if T-Mobile acquired Sprint, but no way I want my service to be in the hands of Sprint's management chain ever again.

I know the corporate discount is tempting but sometimes the cause is worth more than the money saved. I left a Sprint family plan where my share was $35/month to pay $100/month for my own line on T-Mobile and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I can actually use my phone now. Luckily my parents and my brother saw the service I was getting and now they are on my T-Mobile family plan...saving me like $40/month. :)

Anyway, if you like the M7 you will be happy with the M9.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the review. I actually own the M8 and was very much looking towards upgrading to the M9, that changed after the reviews of the camera came out as well as the Video camera. When I saw the M8's camera performing better than the M9 I decided to go with the GS6.

However while I think the GS6 is a fine phone I do miss the camera tricks my M8/was able to perform, as well as just some of the HTC stuff I've grown to get used to and like.

Questions- how much better is the camera now after the update? I use my phone to shoot a number of videos per day in the health and fitness field, and the camera to me is fairly important and gets used plenty in my day to day uses.

Upvote 0
Questions- how much better is the camera now after the update? I use my phone to shoot a number of videos per day in the health and fitness field, and the camera to me is fairly important and gets used plenty in my day to day uses.

Insanely better. I only have the one example posted above, but it's a good demonstration. Then I posted a link to that article because I figured they already did a much better job than I could do of illustrating the difference. Go check those out if you haven't yet.

No idea if the GS6 does better or not. I think Samsung makes some good stuff, but I have never thought their phones belonged in that category. There should be some head to head reviews of the M9 and GS6 out there. Not sure it will be pre or post camera update though.

Upvote 0
I bought the M9 (coming from M8) on release day (April 10) and here are a few of my observations:

The Good:

1) the ergonomics are much better. As much as I liked the M8, it was far too slippery to use without a case. The M9 has greatly improved upon this without scrapping an otherwise great design;

Neutral:

1) Camera: despite the increase in megapixels, I'm not seeing anything drastic. But it's not worse;

2) Boomsound: it's great but we had it already on the M8. I can't tell if the Dolby adds much;

3) Sense 7: with a few caveats, I like Sense 7. I don't care for the loss of "do not disturb" and integration of the flashlight into the quick settings but understand those were more Android changes than HTC changes. Regardless, Sense is a great skin and the main reason I won't buy a Samsung phone. Touchwiz is horrible;

4) Themes: I haven't spent any time with these but it looks to be a cool feature.

The Bad:

1) Screen: inferior to the M8 in every way. Images look washed out and screen is much dimmer. I use the auto-brightness setting - which worked great on the M8 - but it dims the screen far too much in my opinion. I can't imagine what HTC was thinking here as they are up against one of the best smartphone displays of all time (S6) and they made a screen worse than last year's model

2) Battery: in my experience, battery life is considerably worse than the M8. It's not a major problem for me as I'm never far from a charger but I guess I expected at least a minor improvement over the M8 (which was great), certainly not that the battery would be worse. See my post RE: "Quick Car charging while using GPS" for more on this.

Upvote 0
UPDATE:

This review has changed a bit since I first posted. The main change is that I have moved the M9 camera from the list of cons to pros after receiving update 1.32.531.33 on my phone. Whatever HTC did it's like magic. I'm a much bigger fan of the upgrade now, as all of my complaints with moving from the M8 to M9 are negligible now.

can I just ask you about the software update. My m9 is running version 132.206.15. When I search for updates it says I am up to date. Given your software version number yours seems newer?

I'm in the UK. So maybe it hasn't been released yet?

Upvote 0
can I just ask you about the software update. My m9 is running version 132.206.15. When I search for updates it says I am up to date. Given your software version number yours seems newer?

On the 4 major carriers in the US,the version number is different,as is the unlocked/Developer edition.
If you've checked for updates over the last few days & it says it's up to date,I'd say there's no update pending that hasn't already been installed.
You can always call/contact HTC to verify that you indeed have the lastest software available.
http://www.htc.com/uk/support/updates.aspx

Upvote 0

The 206 in your software ID signifies it's O2 branded (from memory) so you'll need to give them a call to find out when you'll get the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones