• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Threat against app from a user, is this some kind of scam?

tliebeck

Dec 6, 2009
android.nextapp.com
Four days ago I released an Android app for the first time, "WebSharing", which lets a user transfer files/content from their phone to their computer's web browser over wifi. Today I received this message from an angry user:

Do you use the websharing application to hack networks and steal
information. I have installed it and used it once, now my network is
unprotected and I can't t access my Wireless router admin. Please
respond or I will post my experiences on the numerous forums regarding
your android websharing app.

The app of course has no such capabilities...it employs the slightly less diabolical "sell an app to users for a few bucks and (hopefully) profit" business model. (The app is a free beta with an expiration at the moment, but will be a paid app.)

I'm just curious if anyone has seen similar accusations/threats from users before? I'd love to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume he's a computer illiterate with a busted router and simply needs to make an appointment with the local Geek Squad / Nerd Herd. I further can't imagine this as a scam as I have no idea how one could benefit from it. But I've only been on the Android market for four days, so I figured I'd ask those who have been here far longer for any insight.

Will probably send the person a polite response suggesting he reboot his wireless router and computer.

In any case, appreciate any suggestions, and would love to hear if you all have to deal with this sort of issue on a day-to-day basis, or if I'm just "that lucky" in having this particular individual download my app.

Best
--Tod

Sounds like a moronic user who has no idea what they are talking about. His router probably got hard booted, which would have wiped the security and reset the password, and he thinks that since your application was the last to access his network, that your application is at fault.

I ended up putting a disclaimer when opening my app to say that I am not responsible for any damage that might occur from using my app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones