Three dumb questions from a new user (apologies in advance!)Support

Last Updated:

1. goalc

goalc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

My wife recently got a SGS and we have been reading this forum with great interest, and as a result we have three really dumb, basic questions that I hope someone can help with (without laughing too much ;))

Firstly, there are lots of posts about flashing and rooting the phone - what does this mean, and is this something we should do, and what are the benefits of this?

Secondly, people are referring to the JM1 update - I dont think my wife's phone has this (the pull down menu bar at the top doesnt include the GPS option), so how do we get this, how do we know what her phone has currently, and should she upgrade? The phone is only about 4 weeks old so I am suprised it isnt the latest, unless the JM1 has just come out?

And finally, when the froyo update comes out, how do we get it? Do you have to download it through Kies (which we still cant get to work on our windows 7 pc) or is it an automatic download and she will just be prompted to download it?

see, I said they were dumb newby questions :D

If anyone can explain the above, it will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Hi and welcome
    1. Flashing/Rooting the phone allows you to run programs your provider does not want you to. It can allow you to remove bloatware(carrier supplied stuff you normally cannot delete) as well as other tasks. Its daunting for the unititated.
    2. JM1 is a recent update- go to settings/about phone and look at baseband version- JM1 relates to the last three letters. I wouldn't bother because
    3. Froyo will be out some time this month. Your KIES software should update your phone when it is available

My advice is to leave the phone alone for now as the genuine update is so close. Then decide if rooting is for you

Maddy_Galaxy likes this.
  3. goalc

goalc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thats great, thanks for that :)

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

For information on rooting and flashing, read my signature.