Three Stories Too High

Last Updated:

1. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There I was enjoying a cup o' joe on my condo balcony three stories up checking my emails. I finished with my emails and set my DX in my lap and enjoyed the ocean and sunrise for the next few minutes. Once I finally got up, I heard a bang as shivers went through my spine. I was worried I might have scratched my poor Droid X on the hard balcony floor. Well, turns out it hit the balcony floor and bounced upright through the medal rods and took a three story free-fall onto the rock hard cement below.

Firstly, I'm pleasantly suprised that when I finally got to the phone, It was still on, the battery cover was still in place, and for the most part the phone was almost in perfect shape! Other than a small scratch on one corner, the phone was working perfectly and still on! Unfortunately, the glass on the other hand was shattered from the corner outward all across the phone. Was still usable but I felt like I was going to cut my finger on the broken glass.

Im pleased that other than the glass, the phone withstood a 3 story fall onto cement and still worked on the other side.

Now here's the bad news:

I pulled off a small shard and noticed there was another layer behind it. I decided to pull it all off (Bad Idea). I eventually pulled and the entire glass screen came off glued to what looked like a screen protector behind the glass. behind it was an LCD screen that looked clearer and more shiney that it had ever looked! I was happy until I realised that the touch-screen part was not attached to the LCD, but rather the layer I had just pulled off.

Now I have a BEAUTIFUL screen, but no touch-screen. This goes to show that my knowledge of how touch screens work is now much better than it was before!

At least I have insurance! (too bad it's $100 to replace with these "High-End" phones).

I'll post pictures if anyone is interested in seeing the DX with the glass removed, it's pretty cool looking!

All the Best,
    Eric Nail

Advertisement
  2. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

Wow!...Pictures Please!

3. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Too bad you didn't take any pictures right after the fall, before you started taking things off.

4. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

he could always put it back together like a puzzle! :D pics are a must my friend

5. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

Think about moving. :D

6. john_ecko

john_ecko Well-Known Member

Yeah, as the meme goes "pics or it didn't happen!"

7. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

Got Lanyard? :p

8. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

im sure you probably already made the claim, but you should check the interwebs for a new piece of glass/digitizer. i broke the glass on my old iPhone, and it only cost me about $15 to fix it.

edit: never mind. i did a search. droid x digitizers are still pretty pricey.

9. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

I dropped mine at security at the Capitol building. The security guard was in a good mood and laughed as I said "that's not good for it".

In fact the security guards at the Capitol were about the nicest guards we ran into anywhere in D.C.......especially compared with the self-important people at the Newseaum or should I say Naseaum. What a crappy place that is!

10. Droid Samurai

Droid Samurai Well-Known Member

Jebus that sucks sorry to hear, reading stuff like this makes me wanna glue my X to my hand, make sure to give ur X a proper funeral :(.

11. ricksievers

ricksievers Well-Known Member

Pics please

12. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

"Pics or it happened and you didn't take pics!!"

Isn't that how the guys on the interwebz say it?

GMB

13. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member