Thrive versus Galaxy Tab : my personal reviewGeneral

1. ExNusquam

ExNusquam New Member

>>I'm new to the board and the forum. Take this review at face value and do not read between the lines. Thanks.

Just thought I

Advertisement
    :
    diirk and Shhh like this.
  2. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Fair view.

1. If you turn off the video enhancment on the Thrive, videos play back smooth. The option is silly to begin with, yet alone set to default. Seems pure marketing gimmick that hurts performance.

2. The display on the G does look better, but I do not see the mesh effect and find colors more natural on the Thrive.

3. The G has no microsd slot and has propreitary connectors. Seems a futile iPad wannabe effort IMO. Apparently Apple's too, due to the litigation going on ATM.

Summary: I will gladly trade a slightly lesser looking display for the storage options and no proprietary ports, any day :)
    iluvandroid likes this.
  3. bdrhode

bdrhode Member

The lack of an HDMI connection on the Tab is also an issue, at least for me. Thrive's standalone capabilities make a clear winner for me and probably for most people who want to use their tablet for more than just fun and games. I plan to put mine to work.
  4. bds1958

bds1958 Member

Good information so far. it know leaves me with choosing between 3 tabs:-

Galaxy: Xoom; or Thrive (AT100 this side of the Pond).

Thrive edges it so far, in my humble opinion due to connection ports.
  5. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

I'm on the bridge of these two.

Galaxy is lighter and thinner and established as being a good tablet.

The thrive has the rubber backing (great idea with my 4 year old daughter playing with it) and the SD card slots and last I looked, it was $100 less then the Galaxy tab.
  6. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

I too am trying to decide between the galaxy and thrive. I was leaning towards the thrive but for the most part I will be using it for videos on a plane and the display on the galaxy is nicer. Also I didn't like the size of the charger, where as the galaxy has a small charger and can trickle charge over USB.

I am going with the 32GB option on them but it would be nice to have an SD slot. Although I'm not fully sure what I am going to fill the initial 32 GB with. I may just get the g tab with its SD card adapter as the only time I should need it is on the plane. My thought on HDMI is that I need a cable plugged in anyway so whats it matter if there is an extra short cable/adapter for HDMI out.

I figure after market accessories will be more widely available for the tab too because it seems to be more popular. the 3g/4g version being available from the wireless carriers and the wifi available at electronics stores. I've already found cheap external backup batteries for the Tab (less than the cost of a second thrive battery) and when the internal dies its final death, i will either just sell it by that point or buy an aftermarket battery replacement kit (similar to iPod/iPad replacement kits)
  7. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

Pulled the trigger on the 32GB thrive. I didn't feel the weight difference was that much and I can deal with the extra thickness for the ports. I wanted the SD and didn't really want to have to have an adapter in the dock connector to use it. plus the thrive was less than the galaxy.
  8. excav8ter

excav8ter Well-Known Member

I bought one for my 11 year old daughter ....I can't wait for her to see it Christmas morning. Played with it at BB, seems like a very nice tab.
  9. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member

Hi, going to be getting the Thrive 16GB on Friday. On the screen looking lesser on the thrive, I read the review done on AC and in the comments some people were saying the same thing as what you are seeing, that the Samsung has a brighter and more vibrant display. One of the commenters mentioned that there is an auto brightness setting on it that limits the display. He turned it off and said the display was just as good as the Galaxy Tab's.

I was looking as the 16GB Galaxy Tab 10.1, but when I saw no expandable memory, that was a deal breaker for me (don't know why Samsung of all companys would do this since they are a memory manufacturer). Once I saw the ports on this bad boy, I knew it was the one for me. It also helped that a friend on mine got one a few months back and gave me a glowing review. So far he hasn't run into any issues with his, and he also liked the rubberized back better than those of the ipad's & Galaxy Tab's. He said they have some of those at work and he doesn't like how slippery they are. As far as the bulk, he didn't think it was bad, and I doubt I will either. From what I understand it's about the same thickness and my Rezound, and I wouldn't want anything much thinner than that for me. Looking forward to Friday!