Throttling! Coming soon to a VM (USA) phone near you

1. joeycmb

joeycmb Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. marc12868

marc12868 Well-Known Member Contributor

You should be glad. They were going to start throttling in October... Anyways who's going to go over 2.5 GB unless that is your only source of internet and you are downloading a whole bunch of files a month. Plus I don't even get decent speeds to begin with so I don't even care... :/

I wish I even got that fast of speeds during a non-throttled month :/
    sharpe351 likes this.
  3. Whyzor

Whyzor Well-Known Member

It's not a big deal for most people since this will take care of the small percentage of people who abuse the network and make it slow for the rest of us. Even 256kbps throttled speed is ok for most streaming music & even low-quality video.
  4. joeycmb

I use pandora radio at work almost 8 hrs everyday. No wifi at work .
  5. marc12868

So at most you'll use maybe a gig or 2... I doubt that you will go over the cap unless your watching a bunch of hd videos and downloading games as well... Even if you do you should be able to listen to pandora fine...
  6. joeycmb

I'm not sure how much data use per month..... Question? Would affect when using tethering?.....iam so cheap !don't have internet at home ....so my triumph is my only internet connection...
  7. alaskn81

alaskn81 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wont get close to this limit and even if I did all they will do is throttle my bandwidth?

Considering my whole plan is the same price or cheaper then just a data plan for the regular cell companies I'm happy with this.
    blmbmj likes this.
  8. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

Yes it will affect tethering. I believe that is one of the purposes. But it won't do anything unless you reach that threshold for throttling.
    joeycmb likes this.
  9. marc12868

That depends on what you are doing... Watching HD videos and downloading large files is a sure fire way to get to your 2.5 GB limit fast, but even then it shouldn't be too bad at 256 kbps granted, you can't watch videos without buffering a lot, and downloads will take a while but that's about it... If your just browsing websites and viewing emails it doesn't matter too much...
    joeycmb likes this.
  10. joeycmb

I've use tethering to updated my laptop !! .....Soorry virgin mobile customers!!!!!....Well sounds like time to get internet provider at home, thanks guys.
  11. marc12868

Yea... Also most internet is going to be a hell of a lot fast than VM's network and also more steady...

Edit: also since your somewhere in PA I don't even care :p you don't affect me... Even though my speeds suck! :/ O well that's what high speed internet is for! :D
  12. MediocreBadGuy

MediocreBadGuy Well-Known Member

I don't even get close to a quarter of that throttled speed, so it doesn't bother me lol
  13. thangfish

thangfish Well-Known Member

Hell yeah, I can only hope that I'll hit the cap. If they throttled me to those speeds, that would be an awesome increase.
    Of course, it would probably take 2 months, downloading 24/7 to hit 2.5 GB at the speeds I get.
    :D
  14. lifeblows10

lifeblows10 Well-Known Member

If you received a text message with the link (http://vm.tmce.biz/wap4?app=virginmobile&c=vir&NEXT=P23) then you used over 2.5GB in December, otherwise, you shouldn't have any issues.

To be honest, it isn't that bad. $25 a month for just data on AT&T only gives you 2GB, and now you can't even get the $25 plan anymore. It's just a sign of the times. Besides, I'd rather be throttled than limited.
  15. ChampN252

ChampN252 Well-Known Member

This is my everyday PC and high-speed internet, so I know I go well over 2.5 gbs. The last time I actually measured, I averaged 4 or 5 gigs, but I've never got that text. I've been using it like this from the start thou. They probably do it without telling me.
  16. ebnight

ebnight Well-Known Member

No you will get a text when you break 2.5, telling you that your throttled.

Edit: it also still dosen't take effect until March 23rd.
  17. thangfish

Does VM's Web site have a data usage history?
    All I could find was talk minutes.
  18. ChampN252

They do it now, because I know they slow me down. The notifications maybe new, but I know they throttle. And I know I'm using about 4 or 5 gigs.
  19. ChampN252

You have to install a data manager when your month starts. You'll be surprised how much you use.
  20. Prey521

Prey521 Well-Known Member

As slow as the data connection is on this phone, I can't imagine I'd ever go over that. I have a company provided 4G MIFI anyways so when I don't have WIFI access, out comes the MIFI. Lowering it to 256kbps? LMAO I don't even get that NOW! HAHAHAHA
    blmbmj likes this.
  21. soundping

soundping Well-Known Member

22. beers

beers Member

If you update a lot of apps can hit this quick.

Use the phone a lot at work where the 3G is around 1.5 mbit, would imagine the only real notice would be web browsing and downloads. At least it is a reasonable throttle and not something like 64 kbit.
  23. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

I think this is really aimed at people who tether to avoid paying for internet at home (or wherever). I know it may affect other users who use a lot of data and don't do that, and that is a bummer. At least it is still unlimited, and just throttled (even the throttling isn't so bad, my 3g is that speed half the time anyway :eek:). I use WiFi for most of my data usage and I am sure I never even come close to 1gig/month.
    zaphodbblx likes this.
  24. thangfish

Do you use one?
    Any suggestions?
  25. MachPrimeRib

MachPrimeRib Member

Notice that the TOS states throttle will bring users to 256k (Or below) that "Or below" for my grandparents on Virgin Mobile's MIFI program brings them to a little more than 56k, so don't be surprised when your phone suddenly wont load any faster than that AOL dial-up that you had back in 1999.