• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root through waiting on updates from at&t

rdandrews

Lurker
Jul 14, 2012
Had my nexus s for nearly a year now, bought from best buy.
A friend has a nexus s and is on verizon. He has had ICS for 6 months now and is about to get jellybean.
I'm stuck with honeycomb, but want to go with jellybean. I'm now willing to root, unlock or whatever, if someone would please educate me on what I need to do it would be much appreciated!
I'm feeling no loyalty to at&t.

I thank you in advance for your time!

Had my nexus s for nearly a year now, bought from best buy.
A friend has a nexus s and is on verizon. He has had ICS for 6 months now and is about to get jellybean.
I'm stuck with honeycomb, but want to go with jellybean. I'm now willing to root, unlock or whatever, if someone would please educate me on what I need to do it would be much appreciated!
I'm feeling no loyalty to at&t.

I thank you in advance for your time!

I think you must be mistaken. There is no Verizon Nexus S, nor is there any version of the Nexus S that will work on Verizon.

Also, all variants of the Nexus S have had ICS for a while now, though AT&T's did take longer than the others. If you for some reason missed the OTA, you can update manually without rooting your phone. Just follow this thread: http://androidforums.com/nexus-s/556628-ultimate-guide-manually-updating-your-nexus-s.html

Upvote 0
A friend has a nexus s and is on verizon.
How did he do that? There is no Nexus S model made for the CDMA network that Verizon uses.
I'm stuck with honeycomb,
Umm...honeycomb is the tablet version. Gingerbread is the version that came on the Nexus S model. As Quantumrand said, follow the link for info on manually updating. There are several options. But make absolutely sure you have the correct models and versions and firmware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones