• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Throwing in the Towel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdforte69

Jun 17, 2010
I realize that what I am about to write is going to piss a lot of you off. Despite what you might think, the intent is not to incite a riot on this forum. And just to get it out of the way, I AM NOT AN APPLE FANBOY! I have never owned ANY Apple device and could give two sh*ts about the iPhone.

EVO has been nothing short of a roller-coaster ride of highs and extreme lows for me. I purchased an EVO on launch day, almost a month ago now. The second day of owning the phone I discovered that my front-facing camera didn't work. I had to wait three weeks (for more to get in stock at Best Buy) to get it exchanged for a new one.

Now, after not even having the new phone for a week... IT IS BRICKED! I downloaded and installed the OTA update. Then, apparently like many others, I accidentally re-installed the same update. I didn't even mean to. Just out of habit of checking for updates I made the mistake. Now, I am bricked.

After reading the forum posts about the bricking issue, (after mine was bricked :mad:) I immediately went back to Best Buy to do ANOTHER exchange. Of course, they don't have any in stock and none of the other stores within a 45 mile radius do either. That is 12 stores total. I called every single one of them myself just to double-check that the Best Buy employee actually called them.

Now, I am on a waiting list... AGAIN! I desperately want to love the EVO. This is the most excited I've ever been about a cell phone, but it's been such an emotional nightmare for me. I don't think my high blood pressure can take any more of this bull sh*t! I have never owned an HTC device before. I have always heard that they, well... suck. Now, even though I want so much to love the EVO, I am starting to believe they do suck as a company. People on here will say "Oh, you get these sort of issues with any device launch." "It's new technology, and comes with the territory." Well, I say BOLLOCKS! Bricking a phone for accidentally installing an update that's already been applied? REALLY?

Sprint is about to be flooded with calls from pissed off people like me who aren't stupid people who made this mistake. Not everyone checks internet forums for every device they own before doing anything to those devices. This is a massive failure in programming and is about to cost them a ton of money. Not to mention the negative word of mouth.

I don't want to give up on EVO, but somebody please tell me what I am supposed to do? If a new one isn't in my hands by Friday, I have no choice but to go to Best Buy and get my money back. I will just wait for the next best thing to come out, that ISN'T AN HTC.

Not even to flame any one, but as common sense goes, why would you apply the same update twice?

Quite honestly, I didn't realize it was the same update. It was a careless mistake on my part, but should it result in a bricked device? If you install a program on windows that is already installed the computer doesn't shut off and never come back on! I mean, come on man... it's really indefensible.

Upvote 0
Not even to flame any one, but as common sense goes, why would you apply the same update twice?
Maybe because it was offered? If the update was applied successfully, it should no longer be an available update. Thus, someone who applied the update would either think it didn't apply correctly, or that there might be a further update.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I had to take mine back. I say the EVO is worth it. No other phone outside of sprint will have WiMax this year, so to me buying a non 4g phone is kind of a waste.

The only thing is the Droid X (I just threw up in my mouth), I could see (I just threw up again) getting that, but I know I'd be dumping it with in 9 months.

The White EVO should be solid. As far as HTC well the only issues I've ever had was piss poor battery life on my G1. My Dash is rock solid and it's old as dirt.

Upvote 0
Did you call sprint? Are you saying you are expected to go without a phone at all until a new batch of evo's come in? If so then that isnt acceptable. Sprint should be able to give you a loaner until you get your evo back. Even if its just a flip phone. You shouldnt be expected to go without a phone at all because they cant keep them in stock.

Upvote 0
Its your own fault and if you cant wait a week or a bit more for an amazing device then good riddance.

Really? So basically, I'm an idiot because I didn't realize that HTC has shit programmers that would allow something like this to happen. So, what if I didn't try to do the second update today. Maybe I searched for a new update in three days and it bricked. Am I still a moron? Ridiculous. There is no way to defend this bro. Pushing people away and telling them "good riddance" isn't a good business model either.

Upvote 0
I can see updating twice = usually when you update successfully - the update notice goes away. So if I got a second notice I would probably think new notice or my last update did not take so do it again. Not everyone obsessively reads these forums.

This sounds completely logical to me. I would have thought the update did not download or install correctly if it came up again. It happened on my Hero.
Fortunately, mine only asked me to update once.
I am rather unhappy about having to uninstall about 10 apps and re download and install again.

Upvote 0
Really? So basically, I'm an idiot because I didn't realize that HTC has shit programmers that would allow something like this to happen. So, what if I didn't try to do the second update today. Maybe I searched for a new update in three days and it bricked. Am I still a moron? Ridiculous. There is no way to defend this bro. Pushing people away and telling them "good riddance" isn't a good business model either.

its not about having shit programmers, even apple (who have amazing programmers) have issues with updates briking phones. So dont be all up in here saying you will never get an HTC phone, its your own loss.

Upvote 0

Well that was kind of harsh, but what I suggest is that you go to where ever you bought it and return it and exchange it for a hero or moment or what ever they have. When the Evo is available again then exchange it out for a brand new one. I have done this before. I feel your pain I have been through 3 Evo's. Took 2 weeks to get my 3rd. But I felt is was worth it, the phone is fabulous. I'd hate to see you leave but if you feel the need to do so its your choice. I wish you luck.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones