Thumbs.db

Last Updated: 2013-03-24 17:21:15
  1. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

I have a stock Galaxy S3. Quickpic was running just fine, it was a great improvement over the stock gallery. It stopped working, I contacted the dev, he was very helpful until we discovered I had a thumbs.db file in my Android>Cache file. I can't delete it and he's stuck since I'm not rooted. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Hello rickjumps!
    Although I cannot say this is device specific, do you see these thumbs.db in the Android/cache that is on the sd card internal?
    ocnbrze likes this.
  3. mysticspiral

mysticspiral Well-Known Member

Hello rickjumps , unfortunately you have to be rooted in order to access the Cache Directory to remove this file . Here is a link to your device .
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Forums
    rickjumps likes this.
  4. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

Hi Mikestony,
    It's on the ext sd card
  5. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

Bummer, how did it get on my phone in the first place <== rhetorical question (unless you have an idea)
  6. Mikestony

Why can't you just delete the thumbnails on the card?
  7. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

I get a message that I don't have an application to open the thumb.db file

Sorry all, the file is called thumb.db, not thumbs
  8. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

9. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

Quickpic gallery won't run until/unless it's deleted.
  10. Mikestony

Can you post a screenshot of that thumb file/folder.?
    Can you long press on the folder and have a choice to delete it?
    I am not quite sure what you are looking at, that's why I request a screenshot :)
  11. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

When I long press, I get this.
    Screenshot_2013-03-19-19-15-46 - Copy.png
  12. Mikestony

I see the path is /storage/extSDcard/Android/data/com???? what is after that?
    com.android.providers.media?
  13. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

.alensw.PicFolder
  14. Mikestony

So the complete path is:
    /storage/extSDcard/Android/data/com.alensw.PicFolder/cache/thumb.db?
    What is in Temp?
    what I am trying to get at here is possibly deleting the parent folder called "cache"
  15. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

I opened Cache, was able to delete .temp, it is an empty folder, but that pesky thumb.db won't go away. I tried deleting it, got a message that it was deleted, but when I open properties, there it is.

I appreciate your help!
  16. Mikestony

So the only thing in cache, is the thumb.db correct?
    Can you delete the cache folder or is that what you meant?
  17. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

Correct, I deleted the cache folder, but the empty .temp folder and the thumb.db file remain.
  18. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Thumb.db is a windows file for thumbnails. Try to connect your phone to your windows computer, make sure you can view all files and set the view to something other than thumbnails and delete the file. Its always worked for me. You don't need that file.
    Mikestony likes this.
  19. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

The screenshot is what's there after I deleted cache, deleted .temp deleted thumb.db and tapped thumb.db
  20. Mikestony

Well, I am officially stumped :p
    How can that be? After the cache folder is deleted, whatever was in that folder should have went bye-bye. :confused:
    One more thing to try...go into menu/settings while in ES File Explorer. Click on File settings,scroll down to "clear cache"...

Unless someone else has a better idea, I would save what you need off of the ext. sd card, and format it.

Edit: or try what h4x0rj3ff suggested...I hit submit and saw he posted a possible solution too:D
    h4x0rj3ff likes this.
  21. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

I would take the card out and put it In a windows PC. Show all files and delete it on a windows PC
    Mikestony likes this.
  22. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

Just tried that and got: "Cannot delete thumb: The storage is write-protected. Remove the write-protection and try again."
  23. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Are you using an adapter? Sometimes the tab on the side moves a bit. Try taking it out and making sure the tab is in the right position. Then try again.
    Mikestony likes this.
  24. rickjumps

rickjumps Member

I just plugged the phone into my pc via usb
  25. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Hmm... Do you have a microsd adapter? Might want to try deleting it that way. Your slowly stumping me too. Lol