• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thunderbolt Launch Day Speculation/Rumor Thread

I figured they'd be somewhat similar with regards to 'new technology' coming to Vzw.

I think the comprable announcement would be for the Xoom, which was like 3 or 4 days before the release. The iPhone wasn't just announcing new tech coming to VZW, it was a huge deal. The only thing different about the TB and any other device coming out is that it will have 4G.

Upvote 0
I think the comprable announcement would be for the Xoom, which was like 3 or 4 days before the release. The iPhone wasn't just announcing new tech coming to VZW, it was a huge deal. The only thing different about the TB and any other device coming out is that it will have 4G.

Right. Was the Xoom 'supposed' to be 4G? I read an article saying that buyers had to send the Xoom back to get something replace in order to get 4G service.

Upvote 0
You really can't compare how Apple does business with HTC, Motorola or VZW.

Two completely different animals. Apple it's light years ahead of everyone else when it comes to controlling what is said and done in the marketplace.

True dat. Until Apple's punch list for a new product is all clear, nothing is said or announced.

Motorola is not too bad.

Upvote 0
Right. Was the Xoom 'supposed' to be 4G? I read an article saying that buyers had to send the Xoom back to get something replace in order to get 4G service.

Yep it was suppose to launch with 4G, there are a few insiders (I think BMX was one of them) that said the Xoom was pushed out too soon. They wanted to get it out before the iPad 2, so they launced before the 4G or Flash support was ready.

You have to send the Xoom back to Moto and they will add the 4G radio.

Upvote 0
Yep it was suppose to launch with 4G, there are a few insiders (I think BMX was one of them) that said the Xoom was pushed out too soon. They wanted to get it out before the iPad 2, so they launced before the 4G or Flash support was ready.

You have to send the Xoom back to Moto and they will add the 4G radio.

Difference here being VZW stated the TB is their first main 4g device. Seems the debate is will VZW stick with that or release in a mainly 3g structure.

Upvote 0
Just an update on the previously mentioned webcast with the CFO. Firstly, he hasn't released any dates. He did mention that the "HTC handset" will be released with the other devices following shortly after. He never would refer to it as the "HTC Thunderbolt", but just as the "HTC handset." He also emphasized that tiered plans will not be here until this summer.

Upvote 0
Just an update on the previously mentioned webcast with the CFO. Firstly, he hasn't released any dates. He did mention that the "HTC handset" will be released with the other devices following shortly after. He never would refer to it as the "HTC Thunderbolt", but just as the "HTC handset." He also emphasized that tiered plans will not be here until this summer.

Don't forget tablets. A lot of talk about moving more tablets.

Upvote 0

I am sticking with VZW do not know yet, since they are still battling on how to stick it to the consumer with tiered plans and the fact that the 4G network is too sparse to support pushing the TB as a 4G device and demand the premiums for 4G. They need the product to push it. Heck, the Xoom still shows no sign yet for 4G updates and is already out (put not pushed as a 4G product-yet).

The combo of the two (pricing and 4G readiness) are conflicting with their stratergy' (spelled wrong on purpose) for the product and pushing 4G upon folks. More specifically, the tiered 4G evilness.

added:

I think BMX was on to something, rather than "on" something when he said the device is ready now. Johnboy loves his demo and says no battery issues (same life as his Droid X). The device is ready, but the network and pricing strategy is NOT ready.

Upvote 0
I crack up when I see the true Apple hater in people come out.

You cannot deny the fact that Steve Jobs is a brilliant businessman and has the best selling device in this country and maybe even the world.

The facts are extremely skewed when they say that Android sales have surpassed Apple sales. You have many, many devices that have Android on them and only 2 that are Apple. You do the math.

Upvote 0

You cannot deny the fact that Steve Jobs is a brilliant businessman and has the best selling device in this country and maybe even the world.

The facts are extremely skewed when they say that Android sales have surpassed Apple sales. You have many, many devices that have Android on them and only 2 that are Apple. You do the math.

It's always good when American businesses do well, and Apple is doing well.

But on other things, you shouldn't attempt to speak, because you're not doing a very good job. There are more than '2 devices' that have iO/S on them: all the variations of ipod, what, 4 versions of the iphone, and then the ipad. Apple counts all of those devices as iO/S devices, not just phones.

If you look at it from that stand point, Android phones vs. actual iO/S phones, Android is very clearly the winner.

And now, as I predicted, cars (Saab for one), coffee makers, freakin toasters, home environmental controls, refrigerators, everything will have Android embedded as the core code, allowing everything to talk to everything else and make our lives easier in the process.

You can't stop it; Google is clearly the winner here, as well as other manufacturers who are getting 'plugged in'. I laugh at all of these manufacturers that are including iPhone/iPod specific docks in their equipment, because it's going to look like outdated crap in 5 years or less.

Lesson number one: Never, ever bank on one manufacturer, one brand, one company.

Nope, Android is going universal, while Apple is relegated to a niche product.

Upvote 0

I luv my iPod 4 :) 64gb (60gb usable) is a lot of space for tunes and some very good games and apps :)

This time next year though, I expect Android to gain some app ground :)

Honeycomb introduced dynamic app & media storage- HUGE for the app ecosystem!!!!

Upvote 0

But on other things, you shouldn't attempt to speak, because you're not doing a very good job. There are more than '2 devices' that have iO/S on them: all the variations of ipod, what, 4 versions of the iphone, and then the ipad. Apple counts all of those devices as iO/S devices, not just phones.

If you look at it from that stand point, Android phones vs. actual iO/S phones, Android is very clearly the winner.

And now, as I predicted, cars (Saab for one), coffee makers, freakin toasters, home environmental controls, refrigerators, everything will have Android embedded as the core code, allowing everything to talk to everything else and make our lives easier in the process.

You can't stop it; Google is clearly the winner here, as well as other manufacturers who are getting 'plugged in'. I laugh at all of these manufacturers that are including iPhone/iPod specific docks in their equipment, because it's going to look like outdated crap in 5 years or less.

Lesson number one: Never, ever bank on one manufacturer, one brand, one company.

I thought for sure I was posting in a forum that dealt with phones.

My mistake.

Upvote 0

I think it is an issue of semantics, so please be careful with the cloaked insults :)

Apple helped to establish a VERY good app ecosystem that will now start making apps for Android as well. There are at least two SDK that allow "easy" conversion of iOS apps to Android.

If it were not for Apple, we would not have the ecosystem or the great competition from Android. Apple is STILL evil though. My iPod 4 calls for me :eek:

Upvote 0
I am sticking with VZW do not know yet, since they are still battling on how to stick it to the consumer with tiered plans and the fact that the 4G network is too sparse to support pushing the TB as a 4G device and demand the premiums for 4G. They need the product to push it. Heck, the Xoom still shows no sign yet for 4G updates and is already out (put not pushed as a 4G product-yet).

The combo of the two (pricing and 4G readiness) are conflicting with their stratergy' (spelled wrong on purpose) for the product and pushing 4G upon folks. More specifically, the tiered 4G evilness.

added:

I think BMX was on to something, rather than "on" something when he said the device is ready now. Johnboy loves his demo and says no battery issues (same life as his Droid X). The device is ready, but the network and pricing strategy is NOT ready.

I completely agree. The reason we dont have a release date, is because Verizon has no release date. I believe, they honestly don't know when it is going to be ready. There are rumors of this and that causing the phone to be delayed. Regardless of what the reason is, this phone isn't ready with no eta.

That being said, this thing is not coming out anytime soon. When it does come out, it is going to cost $300 and a required minimum 4g data package. It is a great phone, but it is not worth that.

Upvote 0
I completely agree. The reason we dont have a release date, is because Verizon has no release date. I believe, they honestly don't know when it is going to be ready. There are rumors of this and that causing the phone to be delayed. Regardless of what the reason is, this phone isn't ready with no eta.

That being said, this thing is not coming out anytime soon. When it does come out, it is going to cost $300 and a required minimum 4g data package. It is a great phone, but it is not worth that.

You sure about that? Are you REALLY sure? I'd be surprised if Vzw demands people use 4G on a device that is capable of 3G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones