• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thunderbolt - plastic or metal?

The Inspire (AT&T) has an aluminum shell with a rubberized battery door and cowl around the camera. The dummy Bolts have an entire back panel made of the rubberized stuff and there's no metal to be found on the outside. I wouldn't usually judge from a dummy unit, but the Inspire dummy unit has the same aluminum shell as the production model.

I don't know what Bob From Wirefly and the dude above were talking about when he said the Bolt had a metal frame. It could be something that was dropped after the test units were shipped. Or he could be talking about a purely internal frame. Either way, I won't feel guilty about putting it in a case.

Also, any idea what the plastic nipple (navel) is on the back? Just below the kickstand, right in the middle.

Upvote 0
... I don't know what Bob From Wirefly and the dude above were talking about when he said the Bolt had a metal frame. ... Or he could be talking about a purely internal frame.
That seems to be the consensus in the thread I linked above. I'm bummed. I was hoping that the Bolt had an aluminum exterior shell. That would have been cool.

Anybody remember the aluminum Moto v60c that sold for $400 when it launched in 1997?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones