• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thunderbolt Root/Unroot Thread

I wasn't talking about the setup process, I meant like entering your Verizon passcode to get service. When you pull it out of the box in the mail you have to "activate" your phone. Thanks for clarifying.

no prollem. when you first get the device,you have to call to activate the sim. once you activate your sim,its good to go. you wont have to call to reactivate any phone you put that sim into. so doing a factory reset,flashing ruus,or flashing roms will boot to a funtional,working phone you can call and make texts from,just without any of your personal data,setup or apps :)

Upvote 0
FINALLY seemed to have found a thread to ROOT my TBolt, after countless of searches.

I had the OG Droid when originally released and ROOTED it and loved it especially with the 1-click method ease. Still no luck of such for my Thunderbolt (I've had since released back in March). But getting impatient...

I have no PC access....only Macs around me. Guess that doesn't make it any easier, eh?

Upvote 0
I have no PC access....only Macs around me. Guess that doesn't make it any easier, eh?

sorry,but there is no revolutionary for mac. your best bet is to borrow a windows laptop,or possibly makd a journey to a friends house that has a windows machine. the revolutionary and superuser files are small,so they download quickly,and are not intrusive. the whole process prolly takes 15 minutes at most.

welcom to the forums :)

Upvote 0
sorry,but there is no revolutionary for mac. your best bet is to borrow a windows laptop,or possibly makd a journey to a friends house that has a windows machine. the revolutionary and superuser files are small,so they download quickly,and are not intrusive. the whole process prolly takes 15 minutes at most.

welcom to the forums :)

I see. Well, this has been Bookmarked so hopefully sooner than later I will jump on this.

I have the latest VZW software update and I'm assuming this is okay as you mentioned above this thread was update for the latest...

Thanks for the welcome:)

Upvote 0
[ROM]Mecha Shipped Rom Collection - xda-developers This has the exe I am looking for the zip it is the last one on the page

Excuse me while I put on my newb hat for a moment (I'm used to rooting, not used to going back to stock, haha)...

So... I assume the last one listed (RUU_Mecha_GINGERBREAD_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.11.605.5_Rad io_0.01.78.0906w_2__NV_8K_1.41_9K_1.64_release_219 938_signed) is the latest one? I just download it, and run it with my phone connected to my computer?

Upvote 0
If your basebands are 5th GB (OTA?) 2.11.605.3 1.48.00.0906w 0.01.78.0906w_2 then you are on the current radios.

If you followed scotty's directions here then I think you should be fully up to date with firmware. You may want to check under wireless settings to make sure mobile data is turned on (I only say that because I turned it off in error before and didn't realize it ;))

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Yeah, data is turned on... just not working.

My baseband is 1.48.00.0906w_1, 0.01.78.0906w_2, and my build is 2.11.605.5 CL178661.

This is before flashing the Android Police file.

**EDIT**

AHA! Got it going. Inside my office, I only get 3G, no 4G. Went outside, it got a 4G signal no problem, then when I came back in it handed off to 3G. For whatever reason, it wasn't wanting to pick up on the 3G only in here until it got that 4G connection. I'm good to go. =)

Upvote 0
Reactions: parrc
Upvote 0
My phone completely reset recently (I was furious :mad:), and it allowed the OTA Update to occur from an added file using revolutionary (suggested in the forums). It can be found here:

http://androidforums.com/thunderbol...u-rooted-stock-please-read-5.html#post3510591

Although the phone was wiped completely, it was still rooted, and I could use wifi tether. Now a few days later, my phone will not allow wifi tether to be used, even though the superuser program is in the applications. What happened, and do I need to reinstall the revolutionary root?

(Note: When I hold the power and down volume key, the revolutionary hboot still appears, if this helps)

Upvote 0
The recoveries are linked in the second post. Download the one you were using,rename it PG05IMG and flash it in Hboot. Superuser can be found on revoltionarys info page,or at the bottom of the first post.

Some more detailed directions to flash recoveries,radios,or whatever in hboot can be found in the "how to and some root terminology" sticky :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for this thread.

I just got my Tbolt yesterday, (previously was using a rooted Incredible running OMGB).

I have an app that will not work properly on my Tbolt, and it says that it is only compatible with Android 1.5 - 2.2 but it worked fine with OMGB (which is 2.3) on my Incredible, so I'm hoping it will work fine once I put OMGB on my Tbolt.
Plus I just really like OMGB. I love vanilla android, and I don't like bloatware.

I am following the instructions on the Revolutionary website, and on the video you posted.

I am doing this on a Windows-XP laptop.
I installed the fastboot drivers it told me to install, and when I connected my phone, in "charge only" mode, it couldn't find the drivers for it.
And when I ran Revolutionary it just said "waiting for device" and it never did anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones